The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Don't know if Matthews is frustrated..but if I were 21 years old and in my first 2 years I was saddled with Hyman and now I don't play with Nylander, and I am dropped off the first pp..and get 3rd line minutes most nights ( compared to other star players)...
I would be..

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Don't know if Matthews is frustrated..but if I were 21 years old and in my first 2 years I was saddled with Hyman and now I don't play with Nylander, and I am dropped off the first pp..and get 3rd line minutes most nights...
I would be..
Be what? Because I don’t see many reasons for him to be frustrated. Hyman did a lot of hard work for Matthews in working in the corners. He’s been on the top powerplay for half the season and it is his and his teammates fault that unit needed splitting up.

Isn’t he playing with Nylander on that second pp unit anyways? Life isn’t 100% great right now but it isn’t that bad for him.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
Babcock's gotta go back with Hyman and Nylander with Matthews.
Willy's starting to round into form and Hyman has always played well with Auston.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
No doubt Matthews needs a big winger beside him. Especially considering the game style he plays. He's not Mcdavid where he's going to fly by everyone. He plays more along the boards and comes off the boards. He needs a winger with net presence and can hold on to the puck a bit longer

Even the Leafs brass tried to sign Nash for that reason I would think. The most ideal player we have had was JVR, for the life of me I can't figure out why either of those players never played with each other. Kapanen or Jhonson not going to be those players. If those guys played with McDavid, would be a perfect match with their speed

I see someone like Gretlaf, where he had Perry. We are not going to get a Perry in the market, nor are we going to get any wingers. Only player I can think of is someone like Boone Jenner

No doubt we need some size up on the wings. We have too many figure skaters
Marner and a back in form Nylander are more than enough for Matthews. Hell it feels like every time Matthews and Marner get an odd shift together it almost always results in a goal. If you put a puck-hound like Kapanen on one wing and Nylander/Marner on the other, Matthews would feast even moreso than he has been this year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Babcock's gotta go back with Hyman and Nylander with Matthews.
Willy's starting to round into form and Hyman has always played well with Auston.
Kapanen is basically a faster Hyman with more offensive skill, keep Hyman with Tavares and Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I also don't like the crybaby approach a lot of fans take where they say "Matthews doesn't get to play with Marner!"

Based on the script, Matthews should be the best player here and not reliant on Marner to spark him.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
To be fair, the Leafs played some of the best hockey with Matthews out with injuries. I think there is chemistry issue and Matthews hasn't really been able to carry this team on his back.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair, the Leafs played some of the best hockey with Matthews out with injuries. I think there is chemistry issue and Matthews hasn't really been able to carry this team on his back.

When he puts pressure on himself to make a difference, he has the tendency to hang onto the puck too much to force individual rushes. Needs to realize he often doesn't have to carry the team on his back, but does need to spearhead things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad