The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I see signs of people turning on Matthews both here, on twitter, and elsewhere. It just might be the saddest thing I've seen as a Leafs fan.

He's not playing as well as he could. We all see that. But the big picture is still that this is a 20-year old on pace for 110 points while far from a one-dimensional scorer. Nitpicking on his game to the degree that you forget that is just sad.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see signs of people turning on Matthews both here, on twitter, and elsewhere. It just might be the saddest thing I've seen as a Leafs fan.

He's not playing as well as he could. We all see that. But the big picture is still that this is a 20-year old on pace for 110 points while far from a one-dimensional scorer. Nitpicking on his game to the degree that you forget that is just sad.

People get emotional and write stupid ****, I'm not saying it's right but it's how things tend to go

look at the Nylander hate around here now, you'd think he stole people's girlfriends the amount of vitriol he gets because of the contract thing

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
People get emotional and write stupid ****, I'm not saying it's right but it's how things tend to go

look at the Nylander hate around here now, you'd think he stole people's girlfriends the amount of vitriol he gets because of the contract thing
Yeah. I do understand getting emotional. Heck, I'm not the picture of calm myself. I put a lot of heart into the games as well. I can't really stand it when posters turn into babies throwing temper tantrums though. Have some dignity, show that you're a bit more mature than an angsty 14-year old.

(Just for clarity, I used a generic you above. It wasn't directed at you personally. Think you know that, but I just want to make sure.)

Reactions: Kiwi

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think the fans have generally been quite supportive of Matthews. It is what it is. If you're gonna play like this, you'll get some heat.

Like Babcock said, he can watch Wild TV, the huntin' channel. Beautiful animals, hills, etc.

Reactions: Ports and Lauro

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah. I do understand getting emotional. Heck, I'm not the picture of calm myself. I put a lot of heart into the games as well. I can't really stand it when posters turn into babies throwing temper tantrums though. Have some dignity, show that you're a bit more mature than an angsty 14-year old.

(Just for clarity, I used a generic you above. It wasn't directed at you personally. Think you know that, but I just want to make sure.)

Don't worry about that one mate, I've said my fair share of stupid **** after losses so I'm just as much to blame as anybody

I don't mind criticism, I just like it with reason why and a potential solution for it

I think Matthews needs a puck distributor on that line cough*Nylander*cough

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
He looks off for some time now that is obvious. He is great young talent with some injury issues that are concerning.

He will play out of this funk or whatever is going on. He needs to be the driver of his line. He looks like a passenger a lot lately

He has not earned max contract status or mcdavid money. It would be a mistake to sign him to such a contract

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

Unfortunately it is probably only a matter of time before the sports column articles and discussion panels start to hop on that band wagon; they feed off of ignorance

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Are you so sure of that? Since re re-joined Matthews they are #3 in posession and #1 line in the NHL in high danger chances. The goals are coming..

Yes Leaffever i am sure of that

i played 42 straight winters of this great game, i have also coached and put together teams.willy is out of pace and he does not have the character to fix that on his own and coach babs does not have the time and space to allow mattys line to be dragged down by this anchor, and willy is in double trouble when Kappy is doing great in his role.

Hell Melander can't even make hay on a sheltered 3rd line with quality players like/NK/PM

but it is of little concern,, he will be shipped out after MM/AM demand a minimum 23m next summer.

Marners camp asked for 9m per x8 after a 69 point season. What do you think the next demand will be?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
1. Matthews needs a good setup guy. Period. Johnsson and Kap still getting use to Matthews snipe spot vs Hyman and Nylander.

2. Matthews does not have a motor like Marner or JT. You can see the difference.
Injury or not.

Which makes me fear this...

3. He can only play when Teams are not in midseason form, and when they arent covering him with elite talent.
Hes use to Euro Hockey before bring drafted, then he shocked the league. But now teams know how to play him.

He has some years to grow up... so theres that.
But wow who wouldve thought in 2 years.

Best Players :

1.Matthews 2. Nylander 3. Marner

Is now --
1. Tavares/Marner 2. Rielly... 3. Matthews

Nylander isnt even a top player anymore.
Moore has a bigger impact in less games.

Dubas...FIX this

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really find it funny how some of you are on Matthews. ESP., since none of you said the same thing when Matthews had his slumps(like 15 games without a goal or something like that during his rookie year).
There is no doubt that he is not playing as well as he is capable of. Same can be said about Kadri, Willie and even Marleau and Brown.
What bothers me the most is the fact that TO medias(esp Sportsnet) are starting to get on the Matthews is not that good wagon, (Maclean even said Matthews only brings it some nights) and Leafsnation is starting to believe that crap. It was the same crap that they did when Sundin was here.... All I know is that 30 other teams would literally trade their farm for someone like Matthews, if that’s not an indication that Matthews is a great player, I don’t know what is.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The issue isn't Matthews.

Where was the Leafs Kuraly tonight? Where are our unsung heroes in big games? Nowhere, that's where.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Matthews has brought the same level of play most nights, I don't think he is slumping, I think he is just dealing with teams shutting him down. The only question is, does he find a way to break through or does he settle in and take what he can when he can, which seems to be the case so far. This is the biggest issue with RFA's getting top dollar these days, he knows he is guaranteed 10+ mil no matter what and if the Leafs don't pay him, someone else will. Yet, at the end of the day, if he can't elevate his play the next contract will be horrible for the team. To be clear, I am not hating on Matthews, I am hating on the current situation where young guys who have proved next to nothing yet demand top dollar and then have nobody to account to.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Well books out on that line. Have 2/3 guys cover Matthews and let the rest take care of itself.

Cmon, I like Kappy and Johnsson, but those are not the type of Guys to play with Matthews.

For the love of god Babs, stop being so damn stubborn and give him Willy.

also, the 16 minutes a night he’s getting isn’t cutting it.

Now, this is on Matthews aswell, he can be better, but get this guy the support he needs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Dude is clearly not 100%.

His explosion in his stride and ability to win puck battles or fend of defenders has completely gone out the window.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Dude is clearly not 100%.

His explosion in his stride and ability to win puck battles or fend of defenders has completely gone out the window.
I don't know what the bigger concern should be.

That he just disappears for no reason all the time?
Or that he gets injured and as a result disappears all the time?

Reactions: Ports

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I really find it funny how some of you are on Matthews. ESP., since none of you said the same thing when Matthews had his slumps(like 15 games without a goal or something like that during his rookie year).
There is no doubt that he is not playing as well as he is capable of. Same can be said about Kadri, Willie and even Marleau and Brown.
What bothers me the most is the fact that TO medias(esp Sportsnet) are starting to get on the Matthews is not that good wagon, (Maclean even said Matthews only brings it some nights) and Leafsnation is starting to believe that crap. It was the same crap that they did when Sundin was here.... All I know is that 30 other teams would literally trade their farm for someone like Matthews, if that’s not an indication that Matthews is a great player, I don’t know what is.

sorry,,, but you are wrong, 30 teams would not "trade their farm' for this player that will ask well north of or even the same cap hit as mcdavid.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
people realize that Matthews leads the whole league in ES points per minute, right?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
people realize that Matthews leads the whole league in ES points per minute, right?
I think you should only go by 5v5 points, since Matthews wouldn't play with Hyman 3v3 or 4v4 anyway. last year he was 3rd in p/60, 1st in p1/60. this year he's 4th in both

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

What are his stats ES vs non playoff teams? And Vs playoff teams?

Cause It doesnt matter if he can score 8 goals vs Redwings, MTL, Ducks, Canes, LA, Nucks, ..etc. -
If Vs a Playoff team he is MIA.

Seems to be the trend since last Post Season and now

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Matthews is a great player and we’re more than blessed to have him. Nights like tonight when he gets secondary matchups while the Tavares line does the heavy lifting he’s going to be expected to capitalize, and when he doesn’t he will get heat. Tonight was a big game, and he even talked about it pre-game in the scrum the importance of showing up for this one. I understand the frustration as a fan, but anyone who doesn’t think he is an absolutely elite player should be ashamed.

At the same time though is Maclean REALLY wrong? Since his injury last season/the playoffs and for the better part of this year he hasn’t been the picture of consistency and some nights honestly looks disinterested. (Not saying he IS actually disinterested those nights, just the optics). Can you honestly say night in and night out Matthews brings it and is dangerous? Because I can say that about a couple of our players who rarely have an off night where they don’t create dangerous chances, but not Matthews.

Reactions: Ports

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On

except those are not like the other. AM is supposed to be our best player our franchise. he seems hurt, disinterested and scared. no way he should get anything over 10 mill. AM might only be our 5th best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad