The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No, you won't see a "strong week" from Nylander, what ever that means

this season is a blow out for him, he is well out a synch with the rest of the team and the league and the way kappy is playing , welp he won't be playing wing with his gravy train much

Melander does not have the will or skill to recover from being out of synch and losing his gravy train center.
Are you so sure of that? Since re re-joined Matthews they are #3 in posession and #1 line in the NHL in high danger chances. The goals are coming..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Got me thinking:

Would a Matthews trade look like this?

The finalized trade had the Nordiques acquire Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Peter Forsberg, a first-round pick in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, $15 million, and future considerations

Of course other than the money involved?

What would be the equivalent today?

Would you trade Eric Lindros for Peter Forsberg?

Eric Lindros trade - Wikipedia

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Are you so sure of that? Since re re-joined Matthews they are #3 in posession and #1 line in the NHL in high danger chances. The goals are coming..

Just giving my 2 cents but... Damn. I didn't realize how well he had been doing considering not putting up many points.

One can dream but a hat trick against Boston would shut everyone up.

He'll get going ... I don't doubt it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My two cents: one of the most skilled players in the NHL. But, he has not been playing with the commitment of a Tavares this past month. We've seen where his abilities can take him when he does, it's darned impressive. The question to me is, why isn't he playing with the intensity we've seen before? I believe his psychological make-up is much the same as Tavares' and that he's absorbing as much as he can from his team mate. I just believe that his body isn't allowing him to do what he wants to do. He wants to be a complete, dominant player, he has the skills to do just that, but his body (shoulders/back?) are not allowing him to use his physical tools the way we know he can. When healthy, he's one of the best. I don't think he's healthy. Which presents concerns in other areas...sit him until, play him until, contract negotiations, playoff performance in a compressed schedule, is he 'injury prone'...I hope his string of physical issues is over soon and we get to see him play the game the way he can.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
You need to stick Hyman on his line again to give him energy and space. I don't care what you guys think, Matthews with Hyman and Nylander was a good line. But Hyman will never be taken off Marner or Tavares' line now, and I doubt they'll hold a meeting in the summer to try to make it happen either.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Love to hear the media talk about paying him more than McDavid. McDavid is clearly on another level than every other player in the NHL.
When he signs and it will be soon then you will understand why media is talking like they are. It is not a total guess like you may think. But I am not going to speculate but I have heard a lot of talk from other dads and scouts and everyone is saying deal is close.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was going to post this same thought. I find teams aren't giving him that extra half foot like before, and he's not one to deke through players. He likes to tuck the puck back before whipping it (the OT goal against the Sabres first comes to mind). Seems to be that teams are taking that away from him and/or getting their stick in the shooting lane which redirects the puck up into the mesh.

Yeah. In order to restore the effectiveness of the deke, curl and shot, he needs to add to his arsenal the deke, shoulder dip and ability to go around on a defenseman and cut back in hard again. If he can start burning guys like that they’ll back off again. Or at least won’t be certain about how to play it.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
You need to stick Hyman on his line again to give him energy and space. I don't care what you guys think, Matthews with Hyman and Nylander was a good line. But Hyman will never be taken off Marner or Tavares' line now, and I doubt they'll hold a meeting in the summer to try to make it happen either.

I was thinking exactly this.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
He's got 20 goals after missing a month. This thread is just nuts. Anyone doubting Auston based on a few games is out to lunch.

Watch other games. Every player has stints with no goals or points. Every player disappears now and then, things don't go their way.

Auston is among the best in the NHL. Period. Not McDavid, but in that next group.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think the lines need to be:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

The AJ - Matthews - Nylander line was dominant, even if they didn't put up a lot of goals. The goals will come.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My two cents: one of the most skilled players in the NHL. But, he has not been playing with the commitment of a Tavares this past month. We've seen where his abilities can take him when he does, it's darned impressive. The question to me is, why isn't he playing with the intensity we've seen before? I believe his psychological make-up is much the same as Tavares' and that he's absorbing as much as he can from his team mate. I just believe that his body isn't allowing him to do what he wants to do. He wants to be a complete, dominant player, he has the skills to do just that, but his body (shoulders/back?) are not allowing him to use his physical tools the way we know he can. When healthy, he's one of the best. I don't think he's healthy. Which presents concerns in other areas...sit him until, play him until, contract negotiations, playoff performance in a compressed schedule, is he 'injury prone'...I hope his string of physical issues is over soon and we get to see him play the game the way he can.

Let's face it, there's been stretches in Tavares' career where Tavares hasn't been Tavares. For whatever reason.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top-10 PPG, sorted with even strength linemates who are also top-20 in ppg:

1.Kucherov 1.64 --- 6.Point 1.36
2.Rantanen 1.55 --- 4.MacKinnon 1.50 ---- 20.Landeskog 1.16
3.McDavid 1.53 ---- 14.Draisaitl 1.23
5.Gaudreau 1.46 --- 16.Monahan 1.20
7.Bergeron 1.36 ---- 18.Pastrnak 1.18
8.Matthews 1.34
9.Marner 1.33 ---- 19.Tavares 1.16
10.Crosby 1.32

Only Matthews and Crosby are doing it alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yet last season almost all were cursing that Mathews was stuck with "stone hands" Hyman on his line. :laugh:

Reactions: egd27

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews has been far more productive this year without Hyman.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
If you give McDavid the team Matthews has, he will run away with it and might as well destroy the whole league. As much as I like Matthews, he just dont have the drive McDavid has. McDavid brings it every night even on a team like Edmonton.
If Dubas pays him McDavid money what will he need to pay Marner? Be careful Kyle.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I just can't imagine giving him basically the max yet. I know it's based on projecting but he really hasn't earned it at all yet.

Reactions: Confucius

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Too bad Matthews wasn't out there in the final minute. That must have irked him somewhat to be on the bench when Hyman and Johnsson were out for the goalie out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->