The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think most of us know in our hearts that when Matty decides he wants to be the best guy on ice he can turn it up and play like a beast. He has shown it but he has ice time issues, injury issues, linemate issues, contract issues and PP issues. Like I said when all is made equal we will see where everything stacks up. I still think he will be the world #1 in a year.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
This Year + Last Year

Even Strength average of Points per 60 and Primary Point per 60

(minimum 500 minutes)

1.Matthews 3.07 (6.24pp)
2.McDavid 2.82 (5.26pp)
3.Kucherov 2.82 (7.30pp)
4.MacKinnon 2.61 (6.46pp)
5.Gaudreau 2.61 (4.66pp)
6.Point 2.54 (4.45pp)
7.Giroux 2.49 (4.72pp)
8.Panarin 2.43 (4.13pp)
9.Malkin 2.39 (5.92pp)
10.Marchand 2.39 (6.31pp)

All people really care about:

1.Matthews 103 Points
2.McDavid 175 Points
3.Kucherov 175 Points
4.MacKinnon 163 Points
5.Gaudreau 153 Points
6.Point 127 Points
7.Giroux 132 Points
8.Panarin 150 Points
9.Malkin 148 Points
10.Marchand 132 Points

This is why some people don't like advanced stats sometimes.
Although the numbers are correct, in actual production he would be dead last on that list.

Would you rather a guy with a higher p/60 or a guy who actually produced 72 more points in the same time frame?

Matthews can be one of the best in the NHL, not many would debate.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
All people really care about:

1.Matthews 103 Points
2.McDavid 175 Points
3.Kucherov 175 Points
4.MacKinnon 163 Points
5.Gaudreau 153 Points
6.Point 127 Points
7.Giroux 132 Points
8.Panarin 150 Points
9.Malkin 148 Points
10.Marchand 132 Points

This is why some people don't like advanced stats sometimes.
Although the numbers are correct, in actual production he would be dead last on that list.

Would you rather a guy with a higher p/60 or a guy who actually produced 72 more points in the same time frame?

Matthews can be one of the best in the NHL, not many would debate.
Players are paid for the stats you just showed. And for things like winning Hart trophies.

Not the other nonsense people are posting.

Matthews being hurt all of the time doesn’t magically make him worth more money because it skews his numbers. Quite the opposite. If you get hurt all of the time, you get payed less money.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Would you rather a guy with a higher p/60 or a guy who actually produced 72 more points in the same time frame?.

the former, as long as he's not doing that as a sheltered player.

can't blame the player for coaching decisions, or for injuries.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
So to be clear, do you think he's the same player in the last 10 games as he was in the first 15? Do you think he was the same player in the last 40 games last year as he was in the first 20?

You can throw all the stats you want at me, it just isn't true and I think you know it deep down.

Those stats are so misleading.....he is an outstanding player who can still pick up points even when not completely healthy......but if you actually watch the guy play and not just stare at a stat sheet you should see that he is not the same guy as he was before he got hurt.
People forget just how great matthews is when healthy......he dominates at both ends.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I think most of us know in our hearts that when Matty decides he wants to be the best guy on ice he can turn it up and play like a beast. He has shown it but he has ice time issues, injury issues, linemate issues, contract issues and PP issues. Like I said when all is made equal we will see where everything stacks up. I still think he will be the world #1 in a year.

Let's hope so......but I'm concerned that he may have a career like Wendel Clark......who had back issues almost his whole career, missed a ton of games, and , as good as he was, never became the superstar he could have been.

Reactions: Ports

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
the former, as long as he's not doing that as a sheltered player.

can't blame the player for coaching decisions, or for injuries.

Interesting. So Tuch over Rantanen and McDavid? Tuch is 11th in the NHL is p/60, and isn't sheltered.

You're right, you can't blame the player for injury. You also can't reward them for being injured.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It is the NBA. Although I am not really a basketball fan, I have heard of the fast break, and the half court offense.

Matthews is not a fast break kind of guy.

Matthews plays the half court offense. He can rush the puck, but he is most effective in front of the net, finding pucks in the dirty areas to score.

Matthews needs a grinder to can get pucks to the net, and who can stand in front of the net so Matthews skate around that and shoot.

That's why some on this forum kept saying give Levio a chance, but they never did and got rid of him.

Now we have the best talent we have seen in a center on the Leafs in generations playing basically with a couple of rookies.

Something is wrong with this picture.

Something stinks.

:deadhorse

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Marner might end up with more goals than Matthews. Idk what's the deal with Matthews but he's not elite yet. He's 3rd or 4th on the team right now.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This Year + Last Year

Even Strength average of Points per 60 and Primary Point per 60

(minimum 500 minutes)

1.Matthews 3.07 (6.24pp)
2.McDavid 2.82 (5.26pp)
3.Kucherov 2.82 (7.30pp)
4.MacKinnon 2.61 (6.46pp)
5.Gaudreau 2.61 (4.66pp)
6.Point 2.54 (4.45pp)
7.Giroux 2.49 (4.72pp)
8.Panarin 2.43 (4.13pp)
9.Malkin 2.39 (5.92pp)
10.Marchand 2.39 (6.31pp)

If you add that many qualifications, any player will be the best at something.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I find Matthews runs into problems when he tries to force the issue of being the difference maker instead of working hard each and every shift with the right attention to detail. You see him wanting to blow the zone or overhandle the puck in the neutral zone, doing those flyby stick checks, and you know he's trying to cut corners to get to the part where he scores 2 G and 1 A to win the game.

Reactions: Ports

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Legit question, did he even skate inside the faceoff dots tonight with the puck? If he did it wasn't often... wonder why he is refusing to skate into the dangerous areas with the puck?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Players are paid for the stats you just showed. And for things like winning Hart trophies.

Not the other nonsense people are posting.

Matthews being hurt all of the time doesn’t magically make him worth more money because it skews his numbers. Quite the opposite. If you get hurt all of the time, you get payed less money.

I agree. Some of this advanced stats, people are going overboard with them.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Legit question, did he even skate inside the faceoff dots tonight with the puck? If he did it wasn't often... wonder why he is refusing to skate into the dangerous areas with the puck?
Matthews pre-emptively holding out for a good contract???
Lol.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Those stats are so misleading.....he is an outstanding player who can still pick up points even when not completely healthy......but if you actually watch the guy play and not just stare at a stat sheet you should see that he is not the same guy as he was before he got hurt.
People forget just how great matthews is when healthy......he dominates at both ends.

I don’t think he has any injury. I do think the number one thing on his mind is not to get injured again.

The fact is there’s a huge difference (maybe 4 million per year) depending upon how this year finishes. If he continues putting up points and stays healthy he can write in his own number.

If he gets hurt again, misses another 20-30 games it will hurt his contract negotiations.

I think it’s fair to say he’s playing not to get injured. I understand it.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I see signs of people turning on Matthews both here, on twitter, and elsewhere. It just might be the saddest thing I've seen as a Leafs fan.

He's not playing as well as he could. We all see that. But the big picture is still that this is a 20-year old on pace for 110 points while far from a one-dimensional scorer. Nitpicking on his game to the degree that you forget that is just sad.
It’s the lack of effort that is concerning.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I really find it funny how some of you are on Matthews. ESP., since none of you said the same thing when Matthews had his slumps(like 15 games without a goal or something like that during his rookie year).
There is no doubt that he is not playing as well as he is capable of. Same can be said about Kadri, Willie and even Marleau and Brown.
What bothers me the most is the fact that TO medias(esp Sportsnet) are starting to get on the Matthews is not that good wagon, (Maclean even said Matthews only brings it some nights) and Leafsnation is starting to believe that crap. It was the same crap that they did when Sundin was here.... All I know is that 30 other teams would literally trade their farm for someone like Matthews, if that’s not an indication that Matthews is a great player, I don’t know what is.
Right now I’ll take the farm. Matthews is a no show a lot lately and was in last year’s playoffs too. Very concerning.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
people realize that Matthews leads the whole league in ES points per minute, right?
Are you actually watching his play out there? Very little effort and hasn’t been effective for weeks now.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don’t think he has any injury. I do think the number one thing on his mind is not to get injured again.

The fact is there’s a huge difference (maybe 4 million per year) depending upon how this year finishes. If he continues putting up points and stays healthy he can write in his own number.

If he gets hurt again, misses another 20-30 games it will hurt his contract negotiations.

I think it’s fair to say he’s playing not to get injured. I understand it.
And if he disappears in the playoffs again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad