The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
He is definitely missing Nylander.

There is no way Kapanen will continue to put up .5 GPG and play at near a PPG and Marleau isn’t good for more than 40-45 points. He needs Nylander or he will have stretches where he won’t put up anything on the board over a long season.

Agreed. Marleau looks cooked to me. And while I agree the offense probably won't continue at this pace, I do like what Kapanen brings to the line as a more skilled grinder (a pseudo Hyman replacement). With Nylander back to handle zone entries, I think that combination could be dynamite. Hopefully they get a deal done soon.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The context is important here. He doesn't create at the level of the elite playmakers in the game.

Probably because he's not a playmaker, but even still, who does he have to dish to. Marleau's regressing and Matthews is making Kapanen productive.

He had 16pts in 7 games with 3rd and 4th line level wings, cooling off was inevitable. He'll pick it up again, he's too good not to.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I think it's just the way the bounce goes. Although marleau has been pretty trash.

This game alone, Matthews set up Kappy in the slot point blank twice.
Matthews also had a point blank shot. There were other good chances. He just didn't bury them. I'm not worried about the offence Sans marleau that does worry me a bit.

More annoyed at his meh d zone effort this game and prolly the other two as well. He gets back but isn't always trying as hard as he could be which is a bit annoying.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Look at his possession for the season - it's been pretty mediocre. And even tonite--with the excellent possession--the eye test does not coincide with that: he looked more solid than dominant. The Scheifele-Wheeler combo looked a lot scarier to me.

EDIT: I know this is an unpopular opinion, but he looks worse to me this season than last. I really think he's missing Nylander more than people are willing to admit.

Which is ironic, the Wheeler line is being chewed out by jets fans. Some of them are saying he should have the C ripped off his jersey. But you saw them as scary.

I saw Matthews as scary, but he's the only real threat on the ice when his line is out there and one threat is easier to cover than two or three. In spite of that he's still playing keep away with ease, getting pucks on net and making smart passes.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
All due respect to Marleau he has been a second tier offensive talent for several years and Kappy is just breaking out now. Matthews would definitely be better off with last years line mates but it also takes time for things to slide into place. I think the line will be better as the season progresses and don't forget Matty has to adapt to the the changes as well. People panic way too too fast. Lets talk about the sky falling after 30 games or so.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kapanen is probably going to score about 30 goals this year if he stays on Matthews line. Marleau will be about 15 goals. I know he scored 27 last year but 5 of those were empty netters. He could get to 20 if he picks it up but not how he's playing now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i thought he should have had an assist on Kappy's goal , hopefully they'll add one like they did for JT (2) and Hyman in the Stars game i believe it was

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Which is ironic, the Wheeler line is being chewed out by jets fans. Some of them are saying he should have the C ripped off his jersey. But you saw them as scary.

I saw Matthews as scary, but he's the only real threat on the ice when his line is out there and one threat is easier to cover than two or three. In spite of that he's still playing keep away with ease, getting pucks on net and making smart passes.

Mostly in the third re: Scheif-Wheeler to be fair. But if you're seeing a dominant guy playing keep away with ease when you watch Matthews this season, I must be watching a different game than you.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think he was terrible against Pittsburgh, but his games against the Blues and Winnipeg were two of his best all year. yeah it sucks that he doesn't have points, but he's creating a lot of offense, and his possession stats and zone entries look much better. his overall game is much stronger now, even though he's not scoring on every other shot anymore

Reactions: saffronleaf

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's looked really good the last two games. Points didn't come, but they will. Kapanen is a good passenger on that line, but I don't know what happened with Marleau. He doesn't carry the puck in, loses almost every puck battle and can't finish either.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
3 games with out a point

He doesn't create offence very well. He has a lethal shot and he's amazing defensively, but he definitely doesn't create as well as Marner, Backstrom, Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, etc.
his 3 games without a point are as indicative of his play as his 7 games with 16 points. he absolutely does create offense as well as nearly anyone in the league, save McDavid and possibly Crosby

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Hasn't Matthews been one of the top generators of high-danger scoring chances since he stepped into the League? Pretty sure you're way off-base here.

Could you define this in more detail in your opinion

He's a shooter, he doesn't create scoring chances for his teammates at an elite level like McDavid or Crosby. Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, prime Jeff Carter, Kovalchuk are examples of players that were elite shooters, but did not create at a very elite level for their line mates.

Matthews is not a top 10 playmaker. It's not a knock on Matthews.

Matthews has very real potential to be the best shooting center of this entire generation and likely already is. If he had the ability to create plays and make passess to his team at the same rate as Crosby, McDavid or even Marner he would be the best player in the NHL.

I don't think many people would argue that Marner is better then Matthews in creating scoring chances for his line mates.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
He's a shooter, he doesn't create scoring chances for his teammates at an elite level like McDavid or Crosby. Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, prime Jeff Carter, Kovalchuk are examples of players that were elite shooters, but did not create at a very elite level for their line mates.

Matthews is not a top 10 playmaker. It's not a knock on Matthews.

Matthews has very real potential to be the best shooting center of this entire generation and likely already is. If he had the ability to create plays and make passess to his team at the same rate as Crosby, McDavid or even Marner he would be the best player in the NHL.

I don't think many people would argue that Marner is better then Matthews in creating scoring chances for his line mates.
Again, I believe this is demonstrably false so far in his young NHL career. Unless you think Zach Hyman, at 13th place among all forwards in high-danger scoring chances for since 2016/17, was the real driver of offense on that line...

Reactions: stickty111

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hey a projecting fan here, is it just me or does it look like Matthews doesn't like playing with Nylander?

You see them (Matthews or Nylander) score and Matthews is total deadpan, they show them on the bench and they aren't talking but when you see Kappy score, Matthews couldn't be happier, you see Matthews on the bench joking/ doing karaoke with Marner, so its not like Matthews is a deadpan guy, it seems like he is only that way with a certain line mate.

Could Nyalnder's paranoia about getting traded a result of his relationship with our franchise center? People have speculated on this forum that the reason why Babcock went to Arizona to meet with Matthews was in part that Austin was not happy with Hyman as his line mate, maybe it was to talk about Nylander on his line too?

Is Matthews squeezing Nylander off his line?

It only makes sense if Marleau goes up to the top line someone on the top line has to drop to Kadri's line. Lets not quibble RW/LW, Kappy with 5 goals in 10 games is not coming off the top line anytime soon and Marleau is the defensive speedy talented winger that line needs. When Nyalnder comes back he is not going back to Mattys line.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Again, I believe this is demonstrably false so far in his young NHL career. Unless you think Zach Hyman, at 13th place among all forwards in high-danger scoring chances for since 2016/17, was the real driver of offense on that line...

need to get Zach away from Matthews, clearly Austin is dragging him down.... #freeZach

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hey a projecting fan here, is it just me or does it look like Matthews doesn't like playing with Nylander?

You see them (Matthews or Nylander) score and Matthews is total deadpan, they show them on the bench and they aren't talking but when you see Kappy score, Matthews couldn't be happier, you see Matthews on the bench joking/ doing karaoke with Marner, so its not like Matthews is a deadpan guy, it seems like he is only that way with a certain line mate.

Could Nyalnder's paranoia about getting traded a result of his relationship with our franchise center? People have speculated on this forum that the reason why Babcock went to Arizona to meet with Matthews was in part that Austin was not happy with Hyman as his line mate, maybe it was to talk about Nylander on his line too?

Is Matthews squeezing Nylander off his line?

It only makes sense if Marleau goes up to the top line someone on the top line has to drop to Kadri's line. Lets not quibble RW/LW, Kappy with 5 goals in 10 games is not coming off the top line anytime soon and Marleau is the defensive speedy talented winger that line needs. When Nyalnder comes back he is not going back to Mattys line.

Completely 100% disagree. There's tons of goals where Nylander and Matthews are as happy as can be when they help each other score.

Reactions: blueberrie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad