The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Just curious guys, when Matthews got his first concussion, how long did it take him to get back to his old self? Was he more timid for a while or?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
So did I, auston is generational, my arguement is Mats carrer is done and was special, lets not get carried away and throw him under the bus to pump austons tires

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.

you're letting sentiment dictate your argument.

but it's fine, I don't need to argue. Matthews play on the ice will do the talking for me.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Just curious guys, when Matthews got his first concussion, how long did it take him to get back to his old self? Was he more timid for a while or?
So I think it really depends on the severity of the concussion and even then it affects everyone differently. Matthews took around two weeks before he was able to play again. His first game back he had a goal and assist, hard to remember if he was playing well or timid. He still finished the season with 37 points in 36 games after the injury but didn't look as fast at times imo. I think the concussion didn't affect him as much as the other injuries did like the one to his shoulder.

Hoping Pettersson comes back soon and wins that Calder.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.

you're letting sentiment dictate your argument.

but it's fine, I don't need to argue. Matthews play on the ice will do the talking for me.

Sentiment is important, without it we are just robots argueing semantics. Sundin was the best player I have ever seen on our team and that means something to me, i want auston to be the best ever, just at three years in its absurd to me to say auston >>mats

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Significantly is a stretch. Management gave him Renberg and Hoglund as line mates and the guy still went point per game. Sundin also has something none of our stars have.....a slap shot. We've never had a clapper from the half wall since this guy left.

Sundin is not as exciting to watch as Matthews but he's more fundamentally sound. We are very fortunate to have had both in a Leafs jersey. Leave it at that. If you had to choose between 21 year old Sundin or 21 year old Matthews in this modern NHL, there is no losing. You can just flip a coin and any choice is a win.
Thing is...... no one scores on slap shots anymore. The shots are hard enough, and it is more about the ability to get the shot off then it is to shoot it through the goalie. Slap shots take significantly more time to get off and when you don’t hit shin pads, it’s very hard to control; where as snap shots, or what Matthews does, and that is a wrist shot one timer. (Never seen anything like it) it focuses on deception and speed. It doesn’t need to be hard when you get it off that quick and accurate.

Look at Kuznetsov’s goal. Case and point.

⤵️

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Sentiment is important, without it we are just robots argueing semantics. Sundin was the best player I have ever seen on our team and that means something to me, i want auston to be the best ever, just at three years in its absurd to me to say auston >>mats

okay but we're not talking who was most beloved or meant the most to you. how can I even question that? that's personal to you.

we're talking who is the better player of the two. pure hockey skills, that's it.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
okay but we're not talking who was most beloved or meant the most to you. how can I even question that? that's personal to you.

we're talking who is the better player of the two. pure hockey skills, that's it.

Fair enough, im just protective of both players. Auston is a Leaf.muhahahahahahaha

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, Matthews is a better player than Sundin was. He was my idol when I was a kid, and will remain infallible in my eyes. He was incredibly talented. Decent skater, laser accurate slapshot, great vision, bull strong and the greatest backhanded the game has seen in my opinion.

But Matthews... Man, the kid does stuff that shouldn't be possible. He can stickhandle in a phone booth, he makes incredible passes (that no one ever seems to finish). He's such a good skater and his shot is nearly unstoppable. Look at his first goal against Detroit. He collected the puck, gave Howard plenty of time to get set, and still blew it by him. The accuracy and speed of his shots are magnificent.

Compare him to a guy like Ovechkin. In his prime, he could score in any number of ways, but his goal totals had a lot to do with he took so many shots. Matthews is far more selective and he tends to just beat goalies clean.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Thing is...... no one scores on slap shots anymore. The shots are hard enough, and it is more about the ability to get the shot off then it is to shoot it through the goalie. Slap shots take significantly more time to get off and when you don’t hit shin pads, it’s very hard to control; where as snap shots, or what Matthews does, and that is a wrist shot one timer. (Never seen anything like it) it focuses on deception and speed. It doesn’t need to be hard when you get it off that quick and accurate.

Look at Kuznetsov’s goal. Case and point.

⤵️

If you think a quick release wrister beats a quick release clapper, check some Stamkos or Ovi highlights.

no one scores on slap shots because nobody can lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The crazy thing is we haven't even reached peak-Matthews yet.

His potential is infinite. Has a chance to make a real name himself amongst the greats - especially if he brings a cup to Toronto.

What an incredible start to this season. I pray for good health because we're witnessing something special.

Reactions: IBeL34f

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The crazy thing is we haven't even reached peak-Matthews yet.

His potential is infinite. Has a chance to make a real name himself amongst the greats - especially if he brings a cup to Toronto.

What an incredible start to this season. I pray for good health because we're witnessing something special.

But but but - no goal tonight :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have seen enough at this point with Matthews, sign him to his 8 year deal at $12 million per.

In another 10 games I think we can probably gauge what we have in Kapanen, if Nylander is still holding out or whatever then Nylander for Pesce(+) is fine too, the cost certainty of Pesce is fantastic coupled with his play.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
After two games(for me) it's obvious Matthews has taken his game to another level.
Top end speed still lacks behind McDavid but everything else is right there.
Can't wait for Feb 27th to see them head to head.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
After two games(for me) it's obvious Matthews has taken his game to another level.
Top end speed still lacks behind McDavid but everything else is right there.
Can't wait for Feb 27th to see them head to head.

I saw Matthews go RIGHT to Kopitar a few times in the game to engage him in puck battles and he actually came out on top quite a bit. He also shrugged off a check by Doughty early that lead to a Kapanen goal at the beginning of the game.

Outside of the elite speed of McDavid and getting a bit better on face offs, he lacks nothing else. I think his assists will definitely be going up. No offense to Hyman but Kapanen can finish a lot better. Hyman and Tavares are hellacious on the cycle game along the wall and also come up with the puck more often then not.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I saw Matthews go RIGHT to Kopitar a few times in the game to engage him in puck battles and he actually came out on top quite a bit. He also shrugged off a check by Doughty early that lead to a Kapanen goal at the beginning of the game.

Outside of the elite speed of McDavid and getting a bit better on face offs, he lacks nothing else. I think his assists will definitely be going up. No offense to Hyman but Kapanen can finish a lot better. Hyman and Tavares are hellacious on the cycle game along the wall and also come up with the puck more often then not.
Agreed, looks like better fits for both lines.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Top 6 has great chemistry right now, we just need to get Kadri (and the line) going a bit more.
They looked pretty good last night, it's coming. Lindholm looks like he's going to be a decent player, he and Kadri will work well together.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They looked pretty good last night, it's coming. Lindholm looks like he's going to be a decent player, he and Kadri will work well together.

Lindholm is fantastic on the wing...only problem is 4C could be a problem, as Gauthier is very hit and miss game to game. Johnsson also hasn't been as good as I thought he would be this year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lindholm is fantastic on the wing...only problem is 4C could be a problem, as Gauthier is very hit and miss game to game. Johnsson also hasn't been as good as I thought he would be this year.
I could see Gauthier being an issue once the intensity ramps up but I'm fine with him playing there until he shows he can't handle it.
Johnsson, not sure what's going on there. The promise he showed last year is missing.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
E9FUJ5Y.png

Dropping this here too. Graph version 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad