The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
After two games(for me) it's obvious Matthews has taken his game to another level.
Top end speed still lacks behind McDavid but everything else is right there.
Can't wait for Feb 27th to see them head to head.

My buddy has seasons so I had to call dibs on that game. Must see TV... or I guess viewing

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wait, is he injured or tweaked?

Just heard Babcock say he's questionable for next game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wish when people are complaining about Matthews minutes and cite like Browns minutes -
they bring up the fact that Brown penalty kills - and Matthews does not. and if the Leafs only draw 1 powerplay - that would be the disparity in regards to minutes played.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
i wish when people are complaining about Matthews minutes and cite like Browns minutes -
they bring up the fact that Brown penalty kills - and Matthews does not. and if the Leafs only draw 1 powerplay - that would be the disparity in regards to minutes played.
That's a very fair point.

My counter to that, however, is that Babcock needs to adjust. I don't typically like to criticize Babs, he's a good coach. But he had to find a way to get his best players involved in the game, especially when losing. At times this season, it seems he has insisted on rolling 4 lines no matter what. When the team needs goals, and they aren't getting power plays, it couldn't hurt to give out a few extra minutes.

In the Blues game, it reminded me of the Wilson days. Roll 4 lines, keep trying the same breakout that clearly doesn't work, and mix up the lines at the end of the game for one shift before going back to the tried and true.

All that being said, I'm not too worried. It's been a couple bad games, that happens. The bounces will come, the power plays will come. With the talent on that roster, a monkey could coach them into a playoff spot, so I'm confident Babcock will have them looking like real contenders.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
How is Matthews already better than Sundin lmao come off it

He definitely has the ability to and will succeed him eventually

But for now Sundin was and is still better

Sundin had a 120 point season

He could still put up 40 goals and pass the puck better than Matthews has ever shown and he had guys WORSE than hyman, Matthews is overrated af by some of the fellow leaf fans here Jesus Christ

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He could still put up 40 goals and pass the puck better than Matthews has ever shown and he had guys WORSE than hyman, Matthews is overrated af by some of the fellow leaf fans here Jesus Christ

I wonder if the fact that Matthews doesn't seem like a natural playmaker just yet is the stick he uses. He's almost Kessel-like in its whippiness.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Judging by what CJ and Friedman have been saying recently about how Matthews will be signed shortly after Willy, I feel they probably have the deal already done and are just waiting on Willy to sign first.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Sundin had 114 points in 1993 when more than 10 others had over 120. Matthews is and will be better than Sundin, it's close now but won't be once Matthews is thoroughly in his prime.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-10-24_20-39-30.png

Still on top.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
3 games with out a point

He doesn't create offence very well. He has a lethal shot and he's amazing defensively, but he definitely doesn't create as well as Marner, Backstrom, Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, etc.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
3 games with out a point

He doesn't create offence very well. He has a lethal shot and he's amazing defensively, but he definitely doesn't create as well as Marner, Backstrom, Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, etc.

He obviously does well in a gallop and can battle in heavy tight traffic and a lot of one on one battles, but seems to fade a bit when there's a lot of bodies around and just generally congestion that sort of isolates him, and boxes him out from the play. Hard to explain exactly, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
3 games with out a point

Still tied for the league points lead if I'm not mistaken, and 16 pts. in 10 games is a great pace. The lows tend to seem lower when the highs are that high.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
3 games with out a point

Marner plays with Tavares.
Backstrom with Ovechkin.
Crosby is Crosby and plays with Malkin on ES at times.
McDavid is McDavid and he also plays a ton of minutes more than Matthews + plays with Drai for a lot of those minutes.

Leafs don’t really mix up lines. They roll them straight, win or lose and he doesn’t get the ice time some other players get.

Scheifele played 26 minutes tonight. Leafs could be losing by a goal for 59 minutes of a game and Matthews still wouldn’t go over 20 minutes with Babcock coaching.

Kapanen and Marleau are good but William Nylander would tremendously help Matthews have someone who can give him some extra time and space. He was at 58% possession tonight.

Reactions: Cotton

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Matthews definitely hasn't been dominating the play/possession like other big offensive talents. He has that game breaking snipe (and has been really responsible defensively), but he certainly hasn't seemed like a one man offense type elite player this season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews definitely hasn't been dominating the play/possession like other big offensive talents. He has that game breaking snipe (and has been really responsible defensively), but he certainly hasn't seemed like a one man offense type elite player this season.

Matthews was one of our best forward tonight possession wise. His line was great.

Reactions: Liminality

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Matthews was one of our best forward tonight possession wise. His line was great.

Look at his possession for the season - it's been pretty mediocre. And even tonite--with the excellent possession--the eye test does not coincide with that: he looked more solid than dominant. The Scheifele-Wheeler combo looked a lot scarier to me.

EDIT: I know this is an unpopular opinion, but he looks worse to me this season than last. I really think he's missing Nylander more than people are willing to admit.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Look at his possession for the season - it's been pretty mediocre. And even tonite--with the excellent possession--the eye test does not coincide with that: he looked more solid than dominant. The Scheifele-Wheeler combo looked a lot scarier to me.

EDIT: I know this is an unpopular opinion, but he looks worse to me this season than last. I really think he's missing Nylander more than people are willing to admit.

He is definitely missing Nylander.

There is no way Kapanen will continue to put up .5 GPG and play at near a PPG and Marleau isn’t good for more than 40-45 points. He needs Nylander or he will have stretches where he won’t put up anything on the board over a long season.

I honestly don’t care about point totals though. They are nice but at the end of the day I want four playoff series wins in the same season. That’s all.

Don’t care who has how many points, just want them playing sustainable hockey that results in playoff wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad