The Michael Ryder Thread

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If there was really NOTHING to complain about, he would not have been stuck on the bench Thursday night in Carolina for the third period. He wouldn't have missed a shift or two Saturday after the Stamkos goal.

There IS something to complain about, and it is the lack of effort equal to his teammates in the defensive zone. The sense of urgency needs to come up. I am not looking to him to block shots in a regular season game and risk getting hurt, but I want to see more hustle to pressure the other team. Tonight against Florida he was much better on this score.

On the bright side, montreal did not lose anything in the defensive zone by swapping Cole and Ryder. They are both sub par. But, he's not the only one of our forwards that needs to dig a bit deeper in the defensive zone, although that's an issue that almost every team has with certain players.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
And again, after a performance against the Panthers. Yes, he has a lot of points lately. If people remember...I was extremely glad about that trade. But you judge a player's performance when the going gets tough. Mind you, we have to give to Ryder what he is doing, which is racking points. He's still not extremely present defensively. He is not extremely overall physical. But he is opportunistic offensively. We have to give him that. But you'll never going to make me believe that he's that perfect complete player when he really is not. He's still missing a whole lot of his wristers that a scorer like him shouldn't miss. But got those 2 deflections that at least makes him important to the team to this point.

There's a difference between criticizing the player's lack of production or whatever and ranting about how terrible the trade was a mere week after you were "extremely glad" about the trade.

We should be more knowledgeable and wiser than that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I wonder what Bergevin's plan is for Ryder. Being one of the few natural scorers, I could see trying to sign him for 2 years at 3.5-4 mil/year...or I could see them letting him walk and spending the money on a more high end or well rounded player(Dubinsky? Clowe?).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So Ryder has 9 points in 7 games with the Habs. That is more points than Cole has all season. Ryder is also team leader in points now and the team is playing great hockey sitting first place in the East. Oh yeah, somehow MB managed to get a 3rd round pick in the deal.

Feels good man.

PricePkPatch*

Yeah it's weird, he has a bunch of points but no "snipes" yet.

Hopefully he pulls a Cammalleri and gets hot at playoff time.

If the slot gets clogged, Ryder will have more space to snipe.

Right now, the other teams are playing a tad bit more open hockey, so Gallagher and other net-crashers have more opportunities.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
So Ryder has 9 points in 7 games with the Habs. That is more points than Cole has all season. Ryder is also team leader in points now and the team is playing great hockey sitting first place in the East. Oh yeah, somehow MB managed to get a 3rd round pick in the deal.

Feels good man.

That's why I loved the trade. I'm not a fan of Ryder, but he's better than Cole. For all of Cole's ability to draw penalties and crash the net, he just flat out wasn't producing.

So we improved (for this season, I don't expect us to re-sign him), got a rid of a bad contract (and a distraction) and got a 3rd round pick in the process. Not a bad trade. Not bad at all.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I wonder what Bergevin's plan is for Ryder. Being one of the few natural scorers, I could see trying to sign him for 2 years at 3.5-4 mil/year...or I could see them letting him walk and spending the money on a more high end or well rounded player(Dubinsky? Clowe?).

I highly doubt that we would go after Dubinsky, I'd rather keep Ryder. I could see the team pursuing Perry and Clowe. If we cannot sign Perry, I'd want to resign Ryder and Clowe.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Feels good man.

I happened to think that player for player...the trade was pretty much a swap. Maybe a slight + for Habs and Ryder because Cole this year just looked like a completely different player than he was last year, just bad body language (though not sure how much you can read in that).

But to have added the 3rd round pick and acquired a player who's contract will expire this season

Wonderful work by Bergevin...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I highly doubt that we would go after Dubinsky, I'd rather keep Ryder. I could see the team pursuing Perry and Clowe. If we cannot sign Perry, I'd want to resign Ryder and Clowe.

Ryder will score more but Dubinsky is a better overall player. Ryder will cost around the same cap hit(3.8-4.5 mil/year) to keep.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
So far, I'veseen a couple of lucky deflections.

There is -some- luck involved in tipping a 1" puck that's whipped into the fray from 60 feet away, but there is absolutely a lot of skill involved as well. There's a reason players practice tips.

2 tip in goals is not just luck.

Face it, Ryder is producing despite your early and impatient criticisms.

Not to mention the goal he basically created on the fore-check, and didn't get an assist.

He's been good. Chalk it up to luck if you'd like, but he's been good.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I still don't understand how the guy gets passes and goals. :laugh:
Me too.

Tip-in goals are like secondary assist. This is how I rank the ways to score a goal:

1. Deke the goalie and put (not shoot) the puck in the net
2. One-timer
3. Back-hand shot
4. Slap shot / Snap shot / wrist shot
7. Very close range rebound (like Gionta and Gallagher goal in TB)
8. Tip-in
9. Score with skate (or other body part). Goal is about to be cancelled.
10. Empty net
11. The opponent scores on his own net, and the goal is awarded to the last player that touches the puck.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Me too.

Tip-in goals are like secondary assist.

...seriously?

How many other weak arguments are we going to come up with to discredit this guy?

Tip in goals are not easy to get & involves a lot of skill (yes, some luck), and are absolutely not on par with a secondary assist.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Me too.

Tip-in goals are like secondary assist. This is how I rank the ways to score a goal:

2. One-timer
3. Back-hand shot
8. Tip-in
10. Empty net
11. The opponent scores on his own net, and the goal is awarded to the last player that touches the puck.

Tip-in require a lot of skills in case you didn't know. He touched it with his stick not with his body.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Me too.

2. One-timer
3. Back-hand shot
8. Tip-in
10. Empty net
Lol... You rank how to score goals? Wow.. That's something.

Pricef*

Tip-in require a lot of skills in case you didn't know. He touched it with his stick not with his body.

I agree. Having played hockey for over 20 yrs I can say delfecting a puck is harder that taking a wrist shot or slap shot.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Me too.

2. One-timer
3. Back-hand shot
8. Tip-in
10. Empty net

Lol... You rank how to score goals? Wow.. That's something.

Also the fact that their is no 5 and 6 on that list too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad