The Michael Ryder Thread

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Welp, our old Calder hopeful is back in town for a second stint, so I thought he deserves a thread to talk about him and his apparent new style.

I was out with some friends last night at a bar (to hang out with them since we hadn't hung together in a few months, so this wasn't to sit and watch the game, though I did as much as I could because I just NEED TO WATCH HABS GAMES) with not very optimal viewing so most of the game I could barely tell who was who, and I barely saw much of it anyway.

How did Ryder perform, and what seems different from his first time around so far?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You could tell he was tired and he didn't feel comfortable in a new system. No worries though, he'll be able to play it once you let him practice with the team. Plus, once he adjusts to his linemates/communicates with them, they will be able to know what they need to do to get him open and let him release his amazing shot. He did make some good decisions with the puck as well, and I think during his time in Boston and Dallas he's grown into a much more well-rounded player than when he left us. He is obviously an offensive role player, and while we shouldn't expect too much defense, he's more than just a shooter. He has such good hockey sense and timing and that makes him good around the net for rebounds and garbage goals. Defensively, I think he'll be used right and he won't cost us games.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Pretty invisible, but he did make a couple nice plays, was on a line with Chucky and Eller, they were on the ice for the Leafs tying goal, I think he was on a 9 game point streak or something, must have ended with his first game as a Hab. Who cares in the end we won.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
He slept only 3-4 hours before gameday

Landed in Toronto around 11 am

No practice

New teammates (except for a few), new system

So we have to give him time

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I couldn't be happier to have him back. One of my favorites Habs of the last 10 years ad instantly becomes one of my favorites again.

Looking forward to some vintage Ryder toe drags and snap shots.

Also can't wait for some post game interviews. Always unintentionally hilarious.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
was looking for him to get lucky break and pot one in, but understandable he was fairly invisible. i guess the good thing was he didn't make any big mistakes

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
I also remember him in a small press conference/interview stating that he'd play a very neutral game because of him joining a winning system and didn't want to ruin it. should be able to find it on the Canadiens website.

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
I'm not very happy to see Ryder back in Montreal. To me he is a floater with a shot. Hope he will do better than 5 years ago.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pretty invisible, but he did make a couple nice plays, was on a line with Chucky and Eller, they were on the ice for the Leafs tying goal, I think he was on a 9 game point streak or something, must have ended with his first game as a Hab. Who cares in the end we won.

I don't like him with Eller and Galchenyuk. And I REALLY don't like two smurfs on the same line.

I think Desharnais is closer to the Koivu style of center than Eller. I would play Ryder with Desharnais, and Gallagher with Eller and Galchenyuk.

15 minutes ES Plekanec-Gionta-Pacioretty
13 minutes ES Desharnais-Ryder-Bourque
11 minutes ES Eller-Gallagher-Galchenyuk
09 minutes ES Prust-White-Moen

PK forwards 2 minutes each
Prust-Eller
White-Moen
Plekanec-Gionta

PP forwards 3 minutes each
Desharnais-Ryder-Pacioretty
Plekanec-Gallagher-Galchenyuk

Total minutes
20 minutes Plekanec
18 minutes Pacioretty
17 minutes Gionta
16 minutes Desharnais
16 minutes Ryder
14 minutes Galchenyuk
14 minutes Gallagher
13 minutes Eller
13 minutes Bourque
11 minutes Prust
11 minutes White
11 minutes Moen

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
He was, ok. For his first game, considering no practice, no sleep, had just arrived in Toronto. He didn't do much but wasn't out of place, wasn't a nuisance.

I'll wait a bit before judging. He's in need of a crash course on the system as well as time to build up chemistry with the team and linemates.

I think he'll fit in well. On a line with Glachenuke and Eller, he'll be fed plenty of passes. He's got defensively capable linesmates. They also like to fight along the boards, are quick and physical. There's potential.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Personally I dont really care if Ryder is on the team or not. I'm glad we got rid of Cole's salary.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Like I said in the PGT, he played like a player who came to the team late, and had no practice time.

You can't say anything yet in terms of his play.

Maelpj*

I don't like him with Eller and Galchenyuk. And I REALLY don't like two smurfs on the same line.

I think Desharnais is closer to the Koivu style of center than Eller. I would play Ryder with Desharnais, and Gallagher with Eller and Galchenyuk.

15 minutes ES Plekanec-Gionta-Pacioretty
13 minutes ES Desharnais-Ryder-Bourque
11 minutes ES Eller-Gallagher-Galchenyuk
09 minutes ES Prust-White-Moen

Wow what an amazing idea, The duo DD-Pac have been on fire for a while let's break it! Strong logic champ!

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Last year Ryder had 28 ES goals.

His ES goals/60 mins of ice time was 4th in the league behind Stamkos, Malkin and Pacioretty and right in front of Toews.

He's a useful player for sure. One thing we absolutely know is that if you get him the puck he WILL score. That's valuable.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He's gonna be invisible most of the time, and score streakly, get used to it now, that's helpful players in their own ways.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Will be glad to see him assimilate into the system. As far as I'm concerned he and Eller cost the second goal against TOR. He gets a break since it's possible that DAL wanted him floating at the blue line waiting for the outlet pass.

PricePkPatch*

I think Desharnais is closer to the Koivu style of center than Eller. I would play Ryder with Desharnais, and Gallagher with Eller and Galchenyuk

Yhea, they are sooo bad. Only had 3 goals last game, can you imagine?!

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
We will see.
Last season he scored 35 goals but was 10 consecutive games without scoring a goal. Same as MaxPac at the start of this season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
When I went over to the Dallas thread can't say as I saw any 'good riddance' comments. They were none too happy.

I think he's a player that should thrive on a team that has a ton of forward depth and 3 solid scoring lines.

Plus he's in a contract year so that has to count for something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad