The Michael Ryder Thread

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Ryder's playing like a 60 point player. Between him and Borque you've got two incredibly inconsistent players, historically, but also two player who can put the puck in the net against anybody.

I wasn't sold on the Cole trade at first, but man do I like it now. With the cap crunch hitting most next season, it might actually be a cheaper market to replace EC, and I barring injury it's almost certain Ryder will outscore him this year. Guy's already put up as many points as a Hab as Cole for the season.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
And again, after a performance against the Panthers. Yes, he has a lot of points lately. If people remember...I was extremely glad about that trade. But you judge a player's performance when the going gets tough. Mind you, we have to give to Ryder what he is doing, which is racking points. He's still not extremely present defensively. He is not extremely overall physical. But he is opportunistic offensively. We have to give him that. But you'll never going to make me believe that he's that perfect complete player when he really is not. He's still missing a whole lot of his wristers that a scorer like him shouldn't miss. But got those 2 deflections that at least makes him important to the team to this point.

I dont get this post.:shakehead

He is a +4, has 7 Giveaways and 14 Takeaways. Double the takeaways. The only other player on the Habs roster with more Takeaways is Gionta, the other guy who regularly gets dumped on over here.

Takeaways mean that a player is on defense. Think about that one for a while.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I dont get this post.:shakehead

He is a +4, has 7 Giveaways and 14 Takeaways. Double the takeaways. The only other player on the Habs roster with more Takeaways is Gionta, the other guy who regularly gets dumped on over here.

Takeaways mean that a player is on defense. Think about that one for a while.

Oh I forgot....you actually only have to read the stats to determine how great or bad a player is. Sorry. Yet, last time I checked giveaways and takeways had NOTHING to do with how you play in YOUR own zone. But that's probably just me. Ryder is pretty much excited when he's in the opponent zone. He does have a good forecheck, surely that created most of the turnovers (takeaways) that racked up his stats. And I'm not even going to pretend that the giveaways was on our zone as this stat doesn't say it. I guess we'll have to ask Corsi what he thinks about that, as again, watching the games aren't good enough anymore. But hey...he's more than a PPG player...more takeaways that giveaways...just sign him to a 5 year deal at 5 M$ per....

What you should also remember about that post you're not getting, is that, again, I was really glad with this deal. In NO WAY, was I sad to see Cole go, in no way, was I'd started to ask to get Cole again when Ryder wasn't exactly that visible DESPITE the points. Great deal then, and will always will be. Will still have to see how is Ryder in a playoffs situation to know if he deserves to be re-signed or not, NO MATTER how many points and takeways he has in this season.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Glad to see Ryder shut up all the haters.

Leads the team in points.

Goal and 7 assists in 7 games for a "one trick pony" who is only good for his shot. :laugh:

and we got a 3rd.

Forget it man..Ryder will never shut up the haters, it's impossible. When he was here and giving alot of he's scoring skills year after year, around the 30 goals, he was hated, people saying he was a floater and he's goals was garbages goals.

I don't expect that those haters change their mind on him.

I was glad to have him at that time, Carbo's destructive job give him his ticket out of Montreal on his last season.

Now, i'm really happy he is back, even if i am knowing it's probably for a short period of time.

But never expect the Haters to shut up, that will never happen.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Now, i'm really happy he is back, even if i am knowing it's probably for a short period of time. But never expect the Haters to shut up, that will never happen.

Well....if he is back FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME....don't you think that the HATERS would also be Bergevin and the whole Habs management? Why the heck would you get rid of a PPG guy that great? If he is really great....they'll keep him no?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Oh I forgot....you actually only have to read the stats to determine how great or bad a player is. Sorry. Yet, last time I checked giveaways and takeways had NOTHING to do with how you play in YOUR own zone. But that's probably just me. Ryder is pretty much excited when he's in the opponent zone. He does have a good forecheck, surely that created most of the turnovers (takeaways) that racked up his stats. And I'm not even going to pretend that the giveaways was on our zone as this stat doesn't say it. I guess we'll have to ask Corsi what he thinks about that, as again, watching the games aren't good enough anymore.

But hey...he's more than a PPG player...more takeaways that giveaways...just sign him to a 5 year deal at 5 M$ per....

What more do you want him to do?

What makes a team successful is having a roster of players who know their role and execute that role the best they can.

Ryder is not a guy who is going to block shots. Never has. Neither is Pacioretty. That is not their game. Ryder will never smash someone into the boards. But then again, Moen will never be the points getter that Ryder is either.

Ryder may not be playing up to your expectations but at present, he is not hurting the team either.

Team results>Your expectations

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007

What makes a team successful is having a roster of players who know their role and execute that role the best they can.

Ryder is not a guy who is going to block shots. Never has. Neither is Pacioretty. That is not their game. Ryder will never smash someone into the boards. But then again, Moen will never be the points getter that Ryder is either.

Ryder may not be playing up to your expectations but at present, he is not hurting the team either.

dont agree with most of your posts...your bang on here though.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Well....if he is back FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME....don't you think that the HATERS would also be Bergevin and the whole Habs management? Why the heck would you get rid of a PPG guy that great? If he is really great....they'll keep him no?

I said probably...maybe you missed it. And you know as well as me that the guy can ask dollars that we will never can give to him. So...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

This team, and especially in the playoffs, will need more players that plays a north and south type of game. There will be less PP's in the playoffs. And you will your intensity to be at the maximum level. If despite all of that Ryder succeeds, then yes...I will want him back with my team. Would NEVER give him anything more than a 2-year deal but that's just me.

What I would appreciate from him is the basics defensively. The guy sometimes could look totally disinstered in backchecking, in taking his man, in just being alert out there and not glide. I don't want him to be a Selke trophy candidate but just be more present and a little more physical. Having said all of that, he might also suffer from the lack of physicality from the rest of the team. If we're physical all over, having 1 or 2 Ryder wouldn,t be that problematic. But we are not there yet.

So yes....I'm happy with the points. I'm happy with the fact that he's not hurting the team. As I stated numerous times, I'm really happy with the trade. I'm just saying...let just be careful before we name him MVP. Not that long ago, he was not impressive. He was invisible despite the points. But lately, his past 2 games has been very good overall. We'll see if that continues.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I said probably...maybe you missed it. And you know as well as me that the guy can ask dollars that we will never can give to him. So...

Still got it...my point stands. If he is being moved, Habs management are then haters as well. Ryder is in no position to be that demanding. The guy did 3 teams in 3 years. Might want to settle unless he NEVER wanted to be here. And it's tough to ask the moon when you have to analyse a guy's play over 48 games. To have somewhat of a power over us, he will need some great playoffs. And if so, well it's win-win.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Still got it...my point stands. If he is being moved, Habs management are then haters as well. Ryder is in no position to be that demanding. The guy did 3 teams in 3 years. Might want to settle unless he NEVER wanted to be here. And it's tough to ask the moon when you have to analyse a guy's play over 48 games. To have somewhat of a power over us, he will need some great playoffs. And if so, well it's win-win.

Its not black and white. he can definitely play well and help, that doesn't mean we re-sign him. That money could be better spent, despite him playing well.

The benefit of the trade is that he can fit in nicely in our top 6 and we get the financial flexibility in the summer.

If they want ryder and he's willing to get it done and stay in mtl then they'll sign him..if not they'll spend the money on someone else. Doesn't make management "haters" though.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
This team, and especially in the playoffs, will need more players that plays a north and south type of game. There will be less PP's in the playoffs. And you will your intensity to be at the maximum level. If despite all of that Ryder succeeds, then yes...I will want him back with my team. Would NEVER give him anything more than a 2-year deal but that's just me.

What I would appreciate from him is the basics defensively. The guy sometimes could look totally disinstered in backchecking, in taking his man, in just being alert out there and not glide. I don't want him to be a Selke trophy candidate but just be more present and a little more physical. Having said all of that, he might also suffer from the lack of physicality from the rest of the team. If we're physical all over, having 1 or 2 Ryder wouldn,t be that problematic. But we are not there yet.

So yes....I'm happy with the points. I'm happy with the fact that he's not hurting the team. As I stated numerous times, I'm really happy with the trade. I'm just saying...let just be careful before we name him MVP. Not that long ago, he was not impressive. He was invisible despite the points. But lately, his past 2 games has been very good overall. We'll see if that continues.

Who said he is our MVP?

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.

"I don't always block shots, but when I do..."

ryder_042311_large.jpg

"...I do it with style"

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Cant speak for anyone else so I will say that I do not expect Ryder to be an MVP for this team.

He will never be a defensive forward. He can do what this team needs badly (especially with our sometimes porous and smallish D----and also Diaz being out), and that is to rack up points.

He is an upgrade over Cole. And if he does not fit Bergevin's plans for next season, so be it. Bergevin knows what he wants and is not afraid to go after it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

agree with this completely.

Ryder is what he's always been... a one-dimensional player with a good feel for the offensive zone & a solid shot.

It's why he was used under 15min/game in Boston & why he was the least used of the top-30 goal scorers in the league last year (Clarkson, 30th, played slightly less, but that's clearly tied to him spending almost 100min more in the penalty box).

He's never going to be a top-6 guy you can roll out in every situation, but as a complementary offensive player, he's pretty solid.

Getting rid of Cole's 9M$ over the next 2 years, while adding a pick, was well worth whatever versatility we gave up in the short term, & with 9pts in 7 games with a new team/system, it's looking like he's fitting right in to the role MT has for him (3pts tonight despite <15min of ice time...)

at 3.5M$, I'd say that's a pretty solid deal. Defensive dmen who may log more overall minutes, but who might give you 5-10pts in a season, regularly go for a bigger cap hit than that.

I wouldn't touch Ryder at the 4-5M$ he may get offered on the UFA market (if he manages to stay in the .8-.9 ppg range that he's in), but if he's figured out that he's better suited with the lower expectations that come with being a sub-4M$ one-dimensional scorer, I think he has a fit here on a 2-3 year deal.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Are you gonna attack everyone who is happy with Ryder now? He's doing fine now, like he was doing fine in Dallas earlier this season, like he was doing fine last year with Dallas scoring 35. Since he joined the Plekanec's line, that line started producing like they did with Bourque and they went pretty much invisible offensively since Bourque went down. He's been player well for the last 100+ games and luckily for us, he's still producing at a good rate. If he start sucking, well we just dump him this summer and use his 3.5M$ on someone else.

Also, who cares about his defensive game, that has never been his forte. I don't why you keep bringing that up, it's like MB or us don't know that Ryder more of an offensive uni-dimensional player. As long as he doesn't have to much giveaways, he will be doing fine.

Nobody is saying that he is GREAT or calls him a PPG player. Way to exaggerate to make a point there. He is just here for our offensive depth and he's doing better than expected, I don't know why you are so upset with people praising him. We all know what kind of player he is but right now, there's nothing to complain about.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ryder will never shut up the haters, it's impossible. When he was here and giving alot of he's scoring skills year after year, around the 30 goals, he was hated, people saying he was a floater and he's goals was garbages goals.

Garbage goals or not, goals are goals. They all count. No problem with that.

What I am leery of his commitment to defence in our own zone. I didn't like how he just drifted on Stamkos' goal for instance. This has nothing to do with Erik Cole. I'm just observing Ryder the player. Perhaps if he gets good communication from the coaches and both positive and negative feedback when warranted, he will improve his effort. It certainly can't hurt seeing everyone around him hustling all the time.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008

Yes your points stands, but i don't understand you right now. Ok I will stop defending him, we will see how well he will be doing, maybe i'm wrong with my hopes or my vision of what he can bring for this team. We will see.

MarkersMark*

The best part is that the Bruins fanbase was pissed that

a) They didn't pick Ryder up
and
b) We're the one's that ended up with him

But hey, he's really holding the team back and all.

I wouldn't put much stock into what Whitesnake has to say. I've been lurking here for years and he bases his player evaluations on emotion and ego more than anything. I could dig up the 2009 draft thread where he was begging Timmins to draft Leblanc or Charles Olivier Roussel. Obvious french player bias towards a pair of career minor leaguers.

9 Points in 7 games from a depth scorer with Stanley Cup experience... but hey lets haggle his GA and TA stats down to the nearest centimeter of each zone that the plays occurred in. Ridiculous.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Are you gonna attack everyone who is happy with Ryder now? He's doing fine now, like he was doing fine in Dallas earlier this season, like he was doing fine last year with Dallas scoring 35. Since he joined the Plekanec's line, that line started producing like they did with Bourque and they went pretty much invisible offensively since Bourque went down. He's been player well for the last 100+ games and luckily for us, he's still producing at a good rate. If he start sucking, well we just dump him this summer and use his 3.5M$ on someone else.

Also, who cares about his defensive game, that has never been his forte. I don't why you keep bringing that up, it's like MB or us don't know that Ryder more of an offensive uni-dimensional player. As long as he doesn't have to much giveaways, he will be doing fine.

Nobody is saying that he is GREAT or calls him a PPG player. Way to exaggerate to make a point there. He is just here for our offensive depth and he's doing better than expected, I don't know why you are so upset with people praising him. We all know what kind of player he is but right now, there's nothing to complain about.

I'm happy Ryder is doing well right now, and if the playoffs roll around, and Ryder is playing the north/south grinding/fighting for space type of game, and succeeding, then I'll eat crow, however, based on the needs of this team, and what Ryder will end up being worth, I think he remains a better fit elsewhere in the longer run. The games will tighten up eventually, and that's when I expect certain weaknesses of this club to be exposed.

MT talks about guys identifying their roles and executing them. We need guys who can play the north/south game and be effective for the long run. Something Bourque can do when he is on the top of his game, and Pacioretty, when he feels like it... but we need more. Its all about finding the right balance, and sinking big money into Ryder does not achieve it imo.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Garbage goals or not, goals are goals. They all count. No problem with that.

What I am leery of his commitment to defence in our own zone. I didn't like how he just drifted on Stamkos' goal for instance. This has nothing to do with Erik Cole. I'm just observing Ryder the player. Perhaps if he gets good communication from the coaches and both positive and negative feedback when warranted, he will improve his effort. It certainly can't hurt seeing everyone around him hustling all the time.

I agree with you, i was pissed on the play he made that time, i know he is not really reliable defensively, i know it. But i have hope, with good advice from the coaches staff that we have, this may change.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If there was really NOTHING to complain about, he would not have been stuck on the bench Thursday night in Carolina for the third period. He wouldn't have missed a shift or two Saturday after the Stamkos goal.

There IS something to complain about, and it is the lack of effort equal to his teammates in the defensive zone. The sense of urgency needs to come up. I am not looking to him to block shots in a regular season game and risk getting hurt, but I want to see more hustle to pressure the other team. Tonight against Florida he was much better on this score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad