The Michael Ryder Thread

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
In Ryder's case, he is putting points on the board. But it shouldn't make us totally blind of the other things around the said player.

Can you explain me what are those other things the guy is so wrong? those things right now making him bad for that team? tell me please

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
It's amazing the lengths some will go to in refusing to admit that they were/are wrong.

MB made a great trade. Ryder is helping us win. Ryder is putting up great numbers. Ryder is helping other team-mates score. Ryder has been better than Cole.

Why in the world are people whining? Incredible.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
It's amazing the lengths some will go to in refusing to admit that they were/are wrong.

MB made a great trade. Ryder is helping us win. Ryder is putting up great numbers. Ryder is helping other team-mates score. Ryder has been better than Cole.

Even me, a noted Ryder detractor over the years since his regrettable 2009 season, must say that I am impressed thus far. He has definitely been a worthwhile addition. Great job by Bergevin on getting rid of Cole while memories of his career year last year were still fresh and before his contract became a burden.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Something strange though. Everytime we traded somebody that ended up scoring as well, we ALL were able to find them some weaknesses and some excuses as to why they are so bad as hockey players anyway. To this day, you will find people here that will still believe that Mike Ribeiro is just a weak bad hockey player. It's all about being consequent.

That attitude was the subject of a fable by Aesop written thousands of years ago. Its subject was sour grapes. In a way it's also covered by another story, the dog in the manger. I disliked Mike Ribeiro (and I was glad thast Saku Koivu once roughed him up) but I didn't go so far as to say that Ribeiro was an untalented hockey player.

As for Ryder, he might not have been cut loose by the Habs, only to help the Bruins win a Cup. if not for his mishandling by Guy Carbonneau (the other harm Gainey inflicted on the Habs).

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Tip ins are pretty much the hardest goal to score in hockey. Not only to actually make contact to the puck, but to redirect it in a way that it still hits the net. Guys at this level are great at it.

Ryder's been effective, and that's all you can ask. Definitely picked his game up from the other night. I can't wait for Bourque to come back.. and I hope he's just as good as he was pre-concussion. This team will be firing then.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

You can't force people to like a player.

You can't build a team around Tip-ins. :D

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
the stats don't tell the whole story, why was he benched in the 3rd period 2 games back? Like I said he put in minimal effort and stayed to the outside and shot from there, you need to work hard and to get to the scoring areas which he finally did last game he went to the front of the net and was rewarded twice. He played a good game but hasn't played that well overall don't let the stats fool you he is a goal scorer that's what he needs to do and as long as he is willing to go to the tough areas he will be rewarded

PricePkPatch*

Ryder has been very effective in the forecheck so far, I think. Many of his assists came from recovering the puck deep in their zone.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's unbelievable the comments from some detractors. It's almost like players are machines and being traded should have no effect on their game. Sorry to tell you but it does. How much? Well let's go to Sergio Momesso for one answer. He played in the NHL and was traded. On TSN 990 he said it usually takes about 10 days to adjust and acclimate. Funny how that worked out to be right in this case.

And for all those that are whining about Ryder's defensive play, it's not as bad as you make it out. It's pretty good. It's as good if not better than Pacioretty's defensive play and I don't hear anyone whining that we have Patches on the team. And don't look but Ryder is the Habs point leader not Patches.

But some posters can't forgive Ryder for one bad year he had here last time round and some of the blame for that bad year lies at Carbo's dumba$$ handling.

Marc Bergevin hit the jack pot with this trade.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
You know you can simply ignore me right? I mean, you also should learn to let go of me if I bother you so much. As far as not caring about them if he's not on your team....fine. I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the ones who DO care about them as they keep bashing them when they are elsewhere. Anyway....yep....I'll let go alright....

How Can I ignore you? You have like 18 posts per page...

I am not always logged in as I view these pages from many other computers...

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Marc Bergevin hit the jack pot with this trade.

Ryder has always been a pretty good player. He had two thirty-goal seasons in a row with us before his off year. His first year with the B's he nearly netted thirty. He did quite well for them in the PO's in their cup run. A few overtime goals if I remember right. And he scored 35 last year. Ryder is no scrub.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
You can't force people to like a player.

You can't build a team around Tip-ins. :D

Of-course. But that doesn't mean those same people should be illogical about his play. I don't like Kaberle, never did, likely never will. But if he is playing well, I am not going to try to come up with ridiculous ideas to try to dismiss his play.

So nobody has to like Ryder(even if it's for nonsensical reasons), but that doesn't mean his play shouldn't be appreciated. He is playing well.

I'm assuming the second comment was a joke?:laugh:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
the stats don't tell the whole story, why was he benched in the 3rd period 2 games back? Like I said he put in minimal effort and stayed to the outside and shot from there, you need to work hard and to get to the scoring areas which he finally did last game he went to the front of the net and was rewarded twice. He played a good game but hasn't played that well overall don't let the stats fool you he is a goal scorer that's what he needs to do and as long as he is willing to go to the tough areas he will be rewarded

I don't think anyone here is saying he has been brilliant or perfect. What we are saying is that Ryder has been much better than Cole this season. Besides getting rid of a potentially bad contract, receiving cap-space for this year, and receiving a 3rd round draft pick; we also received the better player in Ryder.

So why in the world are people whining? It makes absolutely no sense. He can and should be criticized for any bad plays, but in the same way, he can and should also be praised for his good plays, and for the most part, he is undeniably helping the team ALOT more than he is hurting it. So why are people going out of their way to dismiss his solid play since joining the team?

I'm convinced that some/most of those who refuse to admit that Ryder is playing well are doing so because they made foolish comments earlier and are simply unwilling to admit their error.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country

He was sat for 1 period following a trade a few days earlier. He responded with a 2 goal performance, a 1st star and 5 points in 2 games.

You can't ask for much more than that.

In this case, the stats DO tell the whole story.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Of-course. But that doesn't mean those same people should be illogical about his play. I don't like Kaberle, never did, likely never will. But if he is playing well, I am not going to try to come up with ridiculous ideas to try to dismiss his play.

So nobody has to like Ryder(even if it's for nonsensical reasons), but that doesn't mean his play shouldn't be appreciated. He is playing well.

I'm assuming the second comment was a joke?:laugh:

Well if we got all tip-ins players, nobody would shoot the damn puck! ;)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
What more do you want him to do?

What makes a team successful is having a roster of players who know their role and execute that role the best they can.

Ryder is not a guy who is going to block shots. Never has. Neither is Pacioretty. That is not their game. Ryder will never smash someone into the boards. But then again, Moen will never be the points getter that Ryder is either.

Ryder may not be playing up to your expectations but at present, he is not hurting the team either.

Team results>Your expectations

I see Ryder as a moneyball type of move. He has plenty of flaws, but he got him for the one area he's good at and he will contribute more to the team than Erik Cole and we got a 3rd, and we got the cap flexibility if we need it. it's a win, win, win for this trade.

We should target flawed players more often. Semin was another one we should have went after.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Still too early to tell, but, the impression I get is that the management staff is still unsure of Ryder, and it often comes out in his demeanor that I'm not sure if Ryder is comfortable here after what happened years ago. Still a long ways to go, things could change. But if July 1st was tomorrow, I don't see him having a contract with us

Habtchum*

Still too early to tell, but, the impression I get is that the management staff is still unsure of Ryder, and it often comes out in his demeanor that I'm not sure if Ryder is comfortable here after what happened years ago. Still a long ways to go, things could change. But if July 1st was tomorrow, I don't see him having a contract with us

I would not be surprised to see Ryder sign with the same team than Ribeiro. These two guys are dynamite together.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
From the useless information stack........

After two periods, Erik Cole does not have a single shot.

He is 50% for faceoffs though.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->