Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Tonight's dinner
IMG_20200316_203812_01.jpg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I made fruit leather last night. I have no blender or food processor. I made it using an old school potato masher. There are strawberries, apples, and blueberries in it.
do you know how hard it is to mash blueberries with a wire potato masher? They are just smaller than the gaps in the masher wires. The apples also wouldn’t totally mash. So do judge on the appearance.
First time making it, and the kids love it!
A2DEA7CF-5CA1-455E-8BF5-E1A10BC2D2DF.jpeg

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I have a this

View attachment 336965

It is cask strength. I first sampled it neat, and because it's 59% alcohol I got strong notes of tongue numbess and slight burning.

After adding some water I was able to really taste it and confirm that it is Very Good with strong notes of Scotch and lots of Tastiness.

My palate is shit.
I’m not liking this because you added water.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m not liking this because you added water.

With cask strength stuff you are supposed to add some water. It opens up the flavors. It makes a huge difference, even if it's just a few drops. Most stuff you buy is watered down from 60ish percent to 40 percent.

Cask strength whiskey was common pre-prohibition. Users would add water to dilute to their taste. So you could have two bars serving the same whiskey but with different flavor profiles; ideally it wouldn't be too watered down.

Daniel Webster was famous for drinking cask strength whiskey without any water, all day every day. This is probably a big part of what made him one of the greatest American orators, and definitely why he died of cirrhosis.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
With cask strength stuff you are supposed to add some water. It opens up the flavors. It makes a huge difference, even if it's just a few drops. Most stuff you buy is watered down from 60ish percent to 40 percent.

Cask strength whiskey was common pre-prohibition. Users would add water to dilute to their taste. So you could have two bars serving the same whiskey but with different flavor profiles; ideally it wouldn't be too watered down.

Daniel Webster was famous for drinking cask strength whiskey without any water, all day every day. This is probably a big part of what made him one of the greatest American orators, and definitely why he died of cirrhosis.
Bah! Put a few cubes of ice and let the flavor come out as you sip.
(I’ve never had cask strength fwiw. I’m just bored)

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bah! Put a few cubes of ice and let the flavor come out as you sip.
(I’ve never had cask strength fwiw. I’m just bored)

My favored method is actually adding one ice cube and letting it evolve as you suggest.

But before I get there I first go neat, then I drip some water in at room temperature, then I go ice on the third drink

Reactions: Defect

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The first sip of blended scotch, even if it be the normally silky smooth Johnny Walker, is always rough after you've been having good single malt

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Also. Amazon can’t get me toilet paper but damn if they didn’t execute perfectly on getting me my oversized crystal clear ice cube molds. If it’s as good as advertised then I’ll show you guys a picture.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino