The Menu Part 14 The Coots / Striker Hot Dog is not a Sandwich Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Wanted chipotle badly, so I made it from scratch at home.

Didn’t take any pictures (forgot), but I think I figured out an incredibly close copycat version of their chicken.

In case anyone wants to try (I would HIGHLY recommend it):

-3 lbs boneless/skinless Chicken thighs
-1/2 red onion
-1 clove of garlic
-3 tbsp chipotles in adobo + some of the liquid
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp oregano
-2 tbsp olive oil

-pound the chicken thighs until they’re as even as possible and decently flat, then put them in a ziploc bag.
-place all the other ingredients in a blender and blend until it’s a paste, then add it to the bag too
-make sure all the chicken is covered and marinate it for somewhere between 1-8 hours (you’re supposed to do 8, but I did 1 and it was still fantastic)
-cook the chicken until done (165F internal temperature and seared on the outside). It’s ok if it’s pretty dark and charred
-when each piece is done, put it in a bowl that’s covered in aluminum foil and make sure you keep it covered so the steam can’t escape
-when all the chicken is cooked, leave it in the covered bowl for about 10 min
-then cut chicken into chunks and add it back to the bowl with the juices
-toss it around and then it’s ready
What do you do to pound the chicken flat? I’ve never bothered to do so. Put it in a Plastic bag? Doesn’t the bag rip to shreds?

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What do you do to pound the chicken flat? I’ve never bothered to do so. Put it in a Plastic bag? Doesn’t the bag rip to shreds?
Put it in a ziploc bag or place it between pieces of plastic wrap. The key to making sure it doesn’t rip is rubbing it with a little oil first, so it doesn’t pull on the plastic as it spreads out. It just slides.

Then just whack it with something heavy and flat, like the bottom of a pan.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Put it in a ziploc bag or place it between pieces of plastic wrap. The key to making sure it doesn’t rip is rubbing it with a little oil first, so it doesn’t pull on the plastic as it spreads out. It just slides.

Then just whack it with something heavy and flat, like the bottom of a pan.

Coincidentally, this is how we discipline bad children.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Childhood discipline PTSD.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Defect and Striiker

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Made some homemade guac and salsa yesterday for Cinco de Mayo. Had some great tacos to go with it.

IMG_20200505_125318_01.jpg

Went grocery shopping on Monday and picked up some wings. Gotta move some furniture tonight, so I bribed my brother into coming over by telling him I'll make wings tonight. Can't wait to see how they turn out

Reactions: Defect

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
That looks great!

I cooked the wife Kraft dinner with hamburger meat added to it....lol.

Hey, it's what she wanted.

Kraft dinner... isn't that simply mac and cheese...

*ducks*

And the question stands... if you had a million dollars would you just eat more?

Reactions: Tripod

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This thread needs to be classed up a little. I have ascended into another echelon of home cooking. I am a tier below home fine dining. Maybe by the time we are allowed to go outside again. I recently made some of my favorite things I have ever made.

Poke bowl with marinated fresh NC caught sashimi grade tuna (over pickled onions, rice, spicy mayo, cilantro, fried onions, seaweed salad, cucumber, pineapple, etc)
IMG_9345.jpg

Completely off the cuff tuna tartare (appetizer for the poke bowls). The tuna is over avocado and a mixture of pickled vegetables. The best thing I have ever made and it was inspired by one of the best things I have ever eaten (at Bolete). Pickled vegetables is chopped jalapeno, cucumber, red onion, spring onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. The tuna I had chopped for poke bowls, so the chunks were too large to hold form before I could get a pic. One of my life's biggest regrets.
IMG_9344.jpg

This was actually about a week ago I decided to make this with some shrimp I had. It is a slaw/ceviche/salad thing I made with pickled jalapeno, cabbage, corn, onion, and red pepper with a chipotle lime sour cream.
IMG_9311.jpg

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This thread needs to be classed up a little. I have ascended into another echelon of home cooking. I am a tier below home fine dining. Maybe by the time we are allowed to go outside again. I recently made some of my favorite things I have ever made.

Poke bowl with marinated fresh NC caught sashimi grade tuna (over pickled onions, rice, spicy mayo, cilantro, fried onions, seaweed salad, cucumber, pineapple, etc)
View attachment 345802

Completely off the cuff tuna tartare (appetizer for the poke bowls). The tuna is over avocado and a mixture of pickled vegetables. The best thing I have ever made and it was inspired by one of the best things I have ever eaten (at Bolete). Pickled vegetables is chopped jalapeno, cucumber, red onion, spring onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. The tuna I had chopped for poke bowls, so the chunks were too large to hold form before I could get a pic. One of my life's biggest regrets.
View attachment 345803

This was actually about a week ago I decided to make this with some shrimp I had. It is a slaw/ceviche/salad thing I made with pickled jalapeno, cabbage, corn, onion, and red pepper with a chipotle sour cream.
View attachment 345804

i 100% respect the effort that went into these dishes, and for what they are, they look very well put together and concoted.

that said - you couldnt pay me to touch them as i dont eat seafood..

Were in 100% agreement on the corn on the cob thing though.

Reactions: landsbergfan

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
i 100% respect the effort that went into these dishes, and for what they are, they look very well put together and concoted.

that said - you couldnt pay me to touch them as i dont eat seafood..

Were in 100% agreement on the corn on the cob thing though.
Ya know...that is what I said before I started eating seafood

Reactions: Starat327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad