Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
consider that his family "bought in" to 3 years in Toronto (i.e. 3 years away from home) so he's still living up to that part. If he really wanted to win, the conversation he has at home is just that: This it for me, one shot, then I'm home permanently.

You have no idea what their conversations were when they made this decision to move to Toronto.

Maybe they decided to take it a year at a time, maybe they agreed to two years and then they'd decide at that point what to do for year 3.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Teams aren't gonna take Patty because they really want him or need him. They will only take him if the Leafs entice somebody enough to take him. He is a cap dump, nothing more. Nobody is trading for him for his skills or intangibles.
I agree on the principal that no one is looking to pay $6.25M for what Marleau brings, but he's still well-better than a replacement level NHL'er. At the right cost he's a piece that lots of teams would look at, which is probably in the $3M range if he were a UFA. Being that we only need about $3M to get all the RFA's signed to long term deals, retention or taking back a bad contract are options

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's a good tactic for cap floor teams to get solid prospects/picks. We aren't trading Marleau unless we're sending a good prospect, pick, or player with him.

EDIT: Do to popular demand ... I'll change "middling" to "good" for Bracco. Who I really wanted the Leafs to draft in his draft year. Unfortunately, I was also happy with the Gauthier pick.

I think it will be a middling prospect, Bracco or something, otherwise the Leafs would just keep him.

IMO Marleau isn't going to miss any games, he'll play as long as possible, perhaps even sign a new contract.

Perhaps he still loves the game and doesn't want to hang them up.

He was far from the worst player in the NHL, and he won't be the worst player in the NHL this year. Check out Eriksson or Lucic, and compare what the bring to the game and what their cost is. Two examples and you could find more. Marleau will probably get paid what he's worth, it is his Cap hit that is not good.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it will be a middling prospect, Bracco or something, otherwise the Leafs would just keep him.

IMO Marleau isn't going to miss any games, he'll play as long as possible, perhaps even sign a new contract.

Perhaps he still loves the game and doesn't want to hang them up.

He was far from the worst player in the NHL, and he won't be the worst player in the NHL this year. Check out Eriksson or Lucic, and compare what the bring to the game and what their cost is. Two examples and you could find more. Marleau will probably get paid what he's worth, it is his Cap hit that is not good.

Is that all Bracco is?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is that all Bracco is?

Probably, he isn't a bad prospect, but he isn't a blue chipper, unless you have a different opinion on blue-chippers.
To me a blue chip prospect is someone other teams will pay a high price to acquire.
Would you give a high (1-15) 1st. round pick for Bracco?

I'm a little old school, and don't believe there are dozen's of superstars in the NHL, some call every top line player a superstar.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Probably, he isn't a bad prospect, but he isn't a blue chipper, unless you have a different opinion on blue-chippers.
To me a blue chip prospect is someone other teams will pay a high price to acquire.
Would you give a high (1-15) 1st. round pick for Bracco?

I'm a little old school, and don't believe there are dozen's of superstars in the NHL, some call every top line player a superstar.

I wouldn't say he's a blue chipper.

I wouldn't give a high pick for him.

Middling just sounded a bit low, I'd put him on some other tier somewhere between blue chipper and middling. But these are all subjective terms so whatever.

I'd be surprised if it cost us Bracco to lose that Marleau contract, I think it'll cost us much less, if anything at all. We'll see.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
He's not a middling prospect he's a PPG+ player in the AHL, "middling" is an insult. Middling implies he's stagnated and he clearly hasn't. This board is odd at times lol.

On top of that I'd be shocked if many teams wouldn't give up a late first round pick for him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I wouldn't say he's a blue chipper.

I wouldn't give a high pick for him.

Middling just sounded a bit low, I'd put him on some other tier somewhere between blue chipper and middling. But these are all subjective terms so whatever.

I'd be surprised if it cost us Bracco to lose that Marleau contract, I think it'll cost us much less, if anything at all. We'll see.

Fair enough.

I'll change it ... good prospect. He appears to have a future. As a much younger person I kept waiting for Bruce Boudreau to translate his game to the NHL. Oh and Dan Hodgson ...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's not a middling prospect he's a PPG+ player in the AHL, "middling" is an insult. Middling implies he's stagnated and he clearly hasn't. This board is odd at times lol.

On top of that I'd be shocked if many teams wouldn't give up a late first round pick for him.

Middling to me has nothing to do with stagnation, but ranking.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fair enough.

I'll change it ... good prospect. He appears to have a future. As a much younger person I kept waiting for Bruce Boudreau to translate his game to the NHL. Oh and Dan Hodgson ...

Good prospect sounds more reasonable.

I always liked Boudreau, was my favourite Marlie back in the day. I was always a bit puzzled that his Marlie linemates went on to have good/great careers and he went nowhere but that's the way it goes sometimes.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If he wants to play and isn’t thinking of the family... why the West Coast? Limiting the locations influences the ability to play.

That’s an “I want to play BUT...”

And Toronto isn’t on the west coast :)

Retirement is a viable option and our worst outcome.
He's not retiring.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Teams aren't gonna take Patty because they really want him or need him. They will only take him if the Leafs entice somebody enough to take him. He is a cap dump, nothing more. Nobody is trading for him for his skills or intangibles.
Eaves for Marleau. Less $$$ to pay to a player who will actually be in your lineup, and not on LTIR.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everywhere I look, I see the same info:

After this season ends, there will remain $4.25M to be paid on the contract. $3M will be in a signing bonus on July 1st, 2019, after which Marleau will only be owed $1.25M in real dollars for the remainder of the year—a sharp contrast from his cap hit, which is of course still $6.25M.

Trying To Magic Away The Patrick Marleau Contract

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Fair enough.

And Normand Aubin (man alive I was excited about this prospect). And Brandon Convery. And Gary Yaremchuk.

But then there were Yanic Perreault and Brad Boyes who took a little longer and became capable NHL players.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
[Leafs Links] Bob McKenzie: "The vibe from the Mitch Marner camp is that we’re in no rush" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

On the Patrick Marleau trade market:
It’s pretty clear that the guy driving the bus on this entire thing is Patrick Marleau and his agent, Pat Brisson. That is where this is being orchestrated. Now, do the Toronto Maple Leafs want to get rid of the third year of his contract paying him $6.25 million and allocate the dollars someplace else? Yes, they would. But it’s not a coincidence it was the LA Kings the Leafs were talking about or the Arizona Coyotes because ultimately the Leafs can’t do anything without Marleau signing off on it. This is not a conventional thing where the Leafs say, “Oh, we’ve got this final year of Marleau’s contract and we’d like to get rid of it. Let’s talk to teams around the NHL.” You don’t even go through that exercise because Marleau has got a full no-move and a full no-trade and he is not going anywhere he doesn’t want to go.
There is probably mutual agreement here that it is time for Patrick Marleau to move on, but Patrick Marleau gets to call the shot on where and only if those teams can work something out with the Toronto Maple Leafs, and it won’t be easy. For somebody to take on a 35+ contract at $6.25 million, knowing they are doing the Leafs a huge economic favour, there is going to be a premium involved and the question then becomes, “Can you make it work?”

In the case of the LA Kings, they’ve got a multitude of contracts and players they’d like to get rid of, but the Leafs are looking at it and saying, “There is no real benefit to taking back these things. It is as bad or worse than what we would have with Marleau’s contract.” A team like the Arizona Coyotes might take Marleau off of the Leafs’ hands, but they’d say they want a really good young player in return or a high draft pick. The Leafs may not be predisposed to do that at this time.
It is going to require a lot of finesse and there is no guarantee that it happens, but if it does, if anything is going to happen, it is all predicated on what Pat Brisson and Patrick Marleau can work out.​

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree on the principal that no one is looking to pay $6.25M for what Marleau brings, but he's still well-better than a replacement level NHL'er. At the right cost he's a piece that lots of teams would look at, which is probably in the $3M range if he were a UFA. Being that we only need about $3M to get all the RFA's signed to long term deals, retention or taking back a bad contract are options

If we get out of this by just retaining some of his cap hit, I will drive him to the airport myself.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
McKenzie is really slipping. Doesn't he know this was all part of the plan 2 years ago?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Everywhere I look, I see the same info:

After this season ends, there will remain $4.25M to be paid on the contract. $3M will be in a signing bonus on July 1st, 2019, after which Marleau will only be owed $1.25M in real dollars for the remainder of the year—a sharp contrast from his cap hit, which is of course still $6.25M.

Trying To Magic Away The Patrick Marleau Contract

Actually it was reported a few months back that the signing bonus is in 2 installments with 1 in July and 1 in December. I'm not sure what amounts are paid on which days. But that $3m isn't all paid on July 1.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When the Leafs had that first rebuilding season under Babcock, were they worried about taking on a contract for the short term for an asset? Of course not. Add to this the low actual cost of paying (or buying out) the player. L.A., Arizona and even Anaheim seem to be fits for this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Actually it was reported a few months back that the signing bonus is in 2 installments with 1 in July and 1 in December. I'm not sure what amounts are paid on which days. But that $3m isn't all paid on July 1.

Conflicting reports then. I haven't seen this 2 installment thing mentioned anywhere but on these boards, do you have a link?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
McKenzie is really slipping. Doesn't he know this was all part of the plan 2 years ago?

Him leaving in the 3rd year was always a possibility, never guaranteed. But you and others wouldn't even entertain the idea that it was possible, insisting that he would never waive his NMC.

Finding the right deal to make it happen was always going to take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad