Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Haha, good question.

This is my impression too. Most of this "insider" babble is just a big waste of time. Ignore it all I say and the end result is that you won't waste your time thinking about a ton of BS and the only thing you "lose" is that sometimes you won't believe a "breaking story" until it's confirmed to be true and even then, what have you lost really?

LOL. Not sure why but this made me think of Monty Python's Life of Brian, the song at the end, "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life".

"We come from nuffing. We end as nuffing. What have we lost? NUFFING!! So always look on the bright side of life. Wheet whoot, wheet wheet wheet wheet wheet whoot......".

I might put a little more weight on his comments about the payout though as it is something that is more "hard fact" in nature.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
LOL. Not sure why but this made me think of Monty Python's Life of Brian, the song at the end, "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life".

"We come from nuffing. We end as nuffing. What have we lost? NUFFING!! So always look on the bright side of life. Wheet whoot, wheet wheet wheet wheet wheet whoot......".

I might put a little more weight on his comments about the payout though as it is something that is more "hard fact" in nature.

This board needs more Monty Python in the summer. :)

Reactions: Eric bungay

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If we get out of this by just retaining some of his cap hit, I will drive him to the airport myself.
well don't overestimate his negative value, he's overpaid by double but it's 1 year and looks like he's willing to go to teams in a variety of competitive situations based on proximity to SJ, most years his contract would be something that the Coyotes would happily take for the cheap cap hit in real dollars

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
so if we lose marleau and zeitsev assuming we don't take back any garbage.. our cap is as clean as a whistle with money allocated to our core and not garbage. Are there any other bad contracts left on this team?.. this is exciting

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
so if we lose marleau and zeitsev assuming we don't take back any garbage.. our cap is as clean as a whistle with money allocated to our core and not garbage. Are there any other bad contracts left on this team?.. this is exciting

Expect to take back some money in a Marleau and potentially a Zaitsev trade. Most teams can't eat 4.5M long term or 6.25M cap hit without sending at least a bit of money back.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Expect to take back some money in a Marleau and potentially a Zaitsev trade. Most teams can't eat 4.5M long term or 6.25M cap hit without sending at least a bit of money back.

$4.5 mil for a dependable RHD that can play 20mins a night and PK's is actually a pretty decent hit. Dont think they will have trouble getting rid of him without taking money back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
$4.5 mil for a dependable RHD that can play 20mins a night and PK's is actually a pretty decent hit. Dont think they will have trouble getting rid of him without taking money back.

I'd wager we're going to receive back a player with 1-2 years left on their deal, likely 2ish million or less.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he wants to play and isn’t thinking of the family... why the West Coast? Limiting the locations influences the ability to play.

That’s an “I want to play BUT...”

And Toronto isn’t on the west coast :)

Retirement is a viable option and our worst outcome.

The trade rumor isnt about "trade me back to the Sharks or else I'll retire", it related to playing for a western team so the travel to his family can be easier.

Theres not a single hint from his camp suggesting retirement is an option.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wait till July 1 and those UFA Dmen all signs deal that are 4mil plus for 6-7yrs but is not even half as good as Zai.
I just find it laughable that fans think Zai is a cap dump and Leafs need to add to get rid of him.

My thoughts exactly for a long time, yet few seem to believe me.

I can see why Zaitsev wants out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Could the Leafs and Marleau collectively decide to terminate his contract on July 2nd? Is this an option that exists for the leafs?

Would he get to keep his signing bonus he gets on July 1st if this were the case?

Would the termination of his contract have any impact on our cap(he was an over 35 signing) like it would if he retired after getting his bonus?

Could the leafs be subject to any cap circumvention penalties from the league if the above were allowed but the league just didnt like this move from Dubas and Co?

This type of love if legal would allow Marleau to get a decent chunk of his money via Signing bonus than choose his own team and get the remainder of his money on that new 1 year deal.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Could the Leafs and Marleau collectively decide to terminate his contract on July 2nd? Is this an option that exists for the leafs?

Would he get to keep his signing bonus he gets on July 1st if this were the case?

Would the termination of his contract have any impact on our cap(he was an over 35 signing) like it would if he retired after getting his bonus?

Could the leafs be subject to any cap circumvention penalties from the league if the above were allowed but the league just didnt like this move from Dubas and Co?

This type of love if legal would allow Marleau to get a decent chunk of his money via Signing bonus than choose his own team and get the remainder of his money on that new 1 year deal.
To my knowledge , You can't just terminate his contract because of the no movement clause being the issue. The only options are to either trade him or buy him out. Buying him out wouldn't really provide cap relief though as he has a 35+ contract.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
To my knowledge , You can't just terminate his contract because of the no movement clause being the issue. The only options are to either trade him or buy him out. Buying him out wouldn't really provide cap relief though as he has a 35+ contract.

Ahh thanks didn't know that was the case

A) I’m pretty sure the 35+ rule applies to mutual termination as well. And retiring during a contract is essentially mutual termination
B) Note that Leafs cannot buy him out not trade him anywhere for someone to buy him out after July 1. The window closes. So whoever they trade him to is going to have to eat whatever cap we don’t retain, but a far smaller salary after July 1

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Friedman says he "doesnt see" it costing Johnsson or Kap to go with Marleau.

Says he thinks it will be a pick.

Also speculates that Anaheim is a team Marleau would go to.

The suggestion that Aj or Kapanen walks be needed to move Marleau was always utter nonsense. At worst it'll be a 2nd round pick

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Friedman says he "doesnt see" it costing Johnsson or Kap to go with Marleau.

Says he thinks it will be a pick.

Also speculates that Anaheim is a team Marleau would go to.

I could only see it if the intention was to make a bigger/more impactful hockey trade. I'd prefer to see the Leafs give up less even with the understanding that doing so will result in getting less.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Funny how it seems some people think that just because the players want to be traded, that they will magically disappear. Like there will be a line up of GM's wanting to take our worst contracts just because.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It's not about the value, it's about the fact that most teams don't have 4.5 million in free space kicking around, and have to make room regardless.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and Erndog

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
that's interesting, with the rumour of his wife and kids moving back to SJ he may just be planning to AirBnB if he stays though. That's a lot of house for one person
I think it's inenvitable that he's gone. His whole family left. It's a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad