Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
McKenzie is really slipping. Doesn't he know this was all part of the plan 2 years ago?

You mean the guys who report part of what the hear and not all of what they know?

If our "insiders" actually reported inside knowledge they hear you'd be amazed at how the NHL really works. But they're all in on the charade to some degree.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Conflicting reports then. I haven't seen this 2 installment thing mentioned anywhere but on these boards, do you have a link?

Patrick Marleau wants to go home

If Marleau is traded before July 1, the receiving team is on the hook for $6.250 million in cap space and $4.250 million in salary. If they do the deal after July 1, that amount does not reduce by the full signing bonus, at least according to Elliott Friedman:
Marleau’s signing bonus is not all paid on July 1, as is common.
4. Odd quirk in Patrick Marleau’s contract: his signing bonus is paid in two instalments, one in July, one in December. Remember, he controls his future, but that adds a wrinkle to any potential move.​
What the split in the $3 million signing bonus is, we don’t know.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He screws the Leafs over completely if he retires. No way he does that.

Nope then they trade his hit for an LTIR contract. Leafs get cap and pay whatever isn’t covered by insurance

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Patrick Marleau wants to go home

If Marleau is traded before July 1, the receiving team is on the hook for $6.250 million in cap space and $4.250 million in salary. If they do the deal after July 1, that amount does not reduce by the full signing bonus, at least according to Elliott Friedman:
Marleau’s signing bonus is not all paid on July 1, as is common.
4. Odd quirk in Patrick Marleau’s contract: his signing bonus is paid in two instalments, one in July, one in December. Remember, he controls his future, but that adds a wrinkle to any potential move.​
What the split in the $3 million signing bonus is, we don’t know.

I did have a quick look and found that, what makes me not convinced is that it's "according to Elliott Friedman". Not saying it's not true but why would he be the only guy with this information and where did he get it from?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If our "insiders" actually reported inside knowledge they hear you'd be amazed at how the NHL really works. But they're all in on the charade to some degree.

If they reported on actual insider knowledge they'd be blacklisted in a flash. Then we would all be "Bob McKenzie who?"

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I did have a quick look and found that, what makes me not convinced is that it's "according to Elliott Friedman". Not saying it's not true but why would he be the only guy with this information and where did he get it from?

For what it’s worth Mirtle said it too. Who knows if he’s repeating Friedman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You mean the guys who report part of what the hear and not all of what they know?

Sure, I agree they wouldn't disclose everything.
Seems like what is believed is based on what people want/don't want to hear though.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Don't forget that there is nothing that says two NHL GMs can't make a handshake promise for a future consideration whether it's taking a contract later or first right of refusal on an available player or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it appears that the Muzzin deal may have contained some future consideration coming to the Leafs which might be in the form of a favourable deal for Marleau in the summer of 2019.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For what it’s worth Mirtle said it too. Who knows if he’s repeating Friedman

Haha yeah, who knows. I still remember Dreger saying Nylander was asking for 8.5m, all the news outlets jumped all over it and were reporting it as fact and then a day or two later Dreger admitted it was just "speculation" on his part. Hard to believe anything these days without these guys saying where they got their information from.

Reactions: kb and TML Dynasty

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't forget that there is nothing that says two NHL GMs can't make a handshake promise for a future consideration whether it's taking a contract later or first right of refusal on an available player or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it appears that the Muzzin deal may have contained some future consideration coming to the Leafs which might be in the form of a favourable deal for Marleau in the summer of 2019.

Appears in what way?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Elliotte is one of the best insiders in the business. He regularly is first with information. He gets it from the literally thousands of contacts he's built in the industry over 20 years.

If we questioned where every insider got info from we'd be better off not worrying about it or reading it and finding another hobby to follow.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Elliotte is one of the best insiders in the business. He regularly is first with information. He gets it from the literally thousands of contacts he's built in the industry over 20 years.

If we questioned where every insider got info from we'd be better off not worrying about it or reading it and finding another hobby to follow.

I agree. I generally don't follow these so called "insiders" and I don't think I've missed much. :)

Reactions: egd27

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I agree. I generally don't follow these so called "insiders" and I don't think I've missed much. :)

Depends on the definition of much. Following them can help you get the smaller details to help form an opinion and discuss realistic possibilities in terms of trades and player movement.

Knowing what signing bonuses are paid out is a key in knowing what someones value could be and that it could literally change from 1 day to the next based on when a payout happens.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Depends on the definition of much. Following them can help you get the smaller details to help form an opinion and discuss realistic possibilities in terms of trades and player movement.

Knowing what signing bonuses are paid out is a key in knowing what someones value could be and that it could literally change from 1 day to the next based on when a payout happens.

Sure. Let's be clear here - I'm not saying Friedman's information isn't correct, I'm just saying that for me personally I'm going to wait for another source to confirm it before I take it as fact.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Leafs don't care about the cash, the whole idea was to make him more attractive in a trade so paying the entire bonus July 1 makes sense. What do they possibly gain by deferring half the bonus, it just makes Marleau harder to trade so there's no upside that I can see. And even if they didn't do it that way, why are we only learning about it now? The details of the contract were reported a long time ago, pretty strange if they were reported incorrectly for almost 2 years now.

Something seems off about this story.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Here's what I think constitutes "insider" information:

A player agent calls up (or returns a call from) a trustworthy insider* like Elliott Friedman and tells him something he'd like to make public.

trustworthy insider = someone who will relay the source's message without spin or hint of the source

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

What does it matter if he's one of the best when we can't trust what they say?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

You don't miss much. A lot of it is just conjecture that some take as more than it is. People laud Bob McKenzie yet I've listened to him do entire reports that contain nothing more than any of us know and conclude with "it'll either go one way or the other". Well duh. Everything goes one way or the other. Unless people are not doing their jobs, they do not leak much of actual substance. One of my direct family members has been in NHL management for over 20 years (has a Cup ring and is around the team GM frequently) and I can tell you he never reveals anything directly. We have lots of conversations about hockey, sometimes take in the world juniors together....we were talking together a couple weeks ago, yet he isn't loose lipped. Maybe some are? That said, I take it with a pretty huge grain of salt.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Here's what I think constitutes "insider" information:

A player agent calls up (or returns a call from) a trustworthy insider* like Elliott Friedman and tells him something he'd like to make public.

trustworthy insider = someone who will relay the source's message without spin or hint of the source

Generally, this.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's technically possible that if the Leafs can't find a trade, that Marleau just doesn't report in September.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's technically possible that if the Leafs can't find a trade, that Marleau just doesn't report in September.
Sure but highly unlikely.
I don't think retirement is even on his radar.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Haha, good question.

You don't miss much. A lot of it is just conjecture that some take as more than it is. People laud Bob McKenzie yet I've listened to him do entire reports that contain nothing more than any of us know and conclude with "it'll either go one way or the other". Well duh. Everything goes one way or the other. Unless people are not doing their jobs, they do not leak much of actual substance. One of my direct family members has been in NHL management (has a Cup ring and is around the team GM frequently) and I can tell you he never reveals anything directly. We have lots of conversations about hockey, sometimes take in the world juniors together....we were talking together a couple weeks ago, yet he isn't loose lipped. Maybe some are? That said, I take it with a pretty huge grain of salt.

This is my impression too. Most of this "insider" babble is just a big waste of time. Ignore it all I say and the end result is that you won't waste your time thinking about a ton of BS and the only thing you "lose" is that sometimes you won't believe a "breaking story" until it's confirmed to be true and even then, what have you lost really?

There's a number of intelligent posters here who's thoughts to me are more insightful most of the time then what I hear from these "insiders". At the end of the day, they're mostly entertainers and people need to understand that when they're on the air, they need to fill those airwaves whether they have anything to say or not so listen at your own peril I guess.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Because it's not and never has been about having every single detail right every time.

You're already putting way too much thought into it and essentially if you're going to do that you should watch the game and not care about others opinions or inside info because nobody will ever 100% agree with you and insiders will never be 100% accurate enough for anyone to trust anything they say.

Best to avoid the hockey media and message boards like this completely if you can't handle that the people we quote are never 100% right(i've yet to encounter anyone in life who is) and you're going to discount everything they say because of it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because it's not and never has been about having every single detail right every time.

You're already putting way too much thought into it and essentially if you're going to do that you should watch the game and not care about others opinions or inside info because nobody will ever 100% agree with you and insiders will never be 100% accurate enough for anyone to trust anything they say.

Best to avoid the hockey media and message boards like this completely if you can't handle that the people we quote are never 100% right(i've yet to encounter anyone in life who is) and you're going to discount everything they say because of it.
On the contrary, I put very little thought into it and have never believed everything they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad