Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Morning gents back from east coast. More good players in the hopper to Marlies next year. Way to go Growlers. Leafs management and coach went our east too, great to see the support. It is important to show the troops, way to go boys.

From everything I hear Marleau was told he would not be a regular in Leafs lineup next season. So henceforth the trade request. Way to man up Dubie.

The situation with Z is between Z and Babs and at the heart of it is Z desire to be more than a defensive use player. No one really wants to say anymore then that. I suspect there is more to this story which will roll out.

From my personal opinion these are 2 smart hockey decisions. I have to give credit to Dubie to take these on as they are not easy to manage. Hopefully we can get 2 decent deals to free up CAP space.

Reactions: Its not your fault

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Morning gents back from east coast. More good players in the hopper to Marlies next year. Way to go Growlers. Leafs management and coach went our east too, great to see the support. It is important to show the troops, way to go boys.

From everything I hear Marleau was told he would not be a regular in Leafs lineup next season. So henceforth the trade request. Way to man up Dubie.

The situation with Z is between Z and Babs and at the heart of it is Z desire to be more than a defensive use player. No one really wants to say anymore then that. I suspect there is more to this story which will roll out.

From my personal opinion these are 2 smart hockey decisions. I have to give credit to Dubie to take these on as they are not easy to manage. Hopefully we can get 2 decent deals to free up CAP space.

I have heard that there is some personal issues with Zaitsev as well that goes beyond hockey.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have heard that there is some personal issues with Zaitsev as well that goes beyond hockey.
I heard some rumors out east but not from authentic sources that he may want to go back to his old team. and if he can make same money then he might. but again this is from kids 3rd hand. I can't see his old team paying him 4.5M per for his remaining contract.

Reactions: Shooter14

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It's not about the value, it's about the fact that most teams don't have 4.5 million in free space kicking around, and have to make room regardless.

Sure, there are a bunch of teams that don't have the space but you only need to find a fit with one team to make a deal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I heard some rumors out east but not from authentic sources that he may want to go back to his old team. and if he can make same money then he might. but again this is from kids 3rd hand. I can't see his old team paying him 4.5M per for his remaining contract.

He might get similar money in the KHL just due to the no tax thing. Voynov pulled 4.5M i believe from SKA, Zaitsev would be best KHL defenseman if he went back. I hadn't heard him returning to KHL though, more *personal* stuff then going back to old team or hating it in North America / NHL

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if Zaitsev goes back to Russia we are off the hook right? So if he cant handle Toronto anymore we are rid of his caphit either way. Maybe we get an asset worth something if we trade him. I like Zaitsev I think he is nowhere near as bad as some here portray but in our cap crunch he doesn't live up to his contract and therefore the space is worth more to us right now

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if Zaitsev goes back to Russia we are off the hook right? So if he cant handle Toronto anymore we are rid of his caphit either way. Maybe we get an asset worth something if we trade him. I like Zaitsev I think he is nowhere near as bad as some here portray but in our cap crunch he doesn't live up to his contract and therefore the space is worth more to us right now

damn it wrong thread! point still stands for Zaitsev I guess

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
there no way marleu owned an $11M house

His estimated career earnings according to capfriendly is around 97M. That doesn't include any investments he's made, or advertisements he's done (he did one with Mitch for a bank or insurance thing, and then he's done some back in SJ as well).

He could more than afford a 11M home. It's not like he's paying 11M up front. It's mortgage payments.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
there no way marleu owned an $11M house
He stills owns it. He has not sold yet. If you want to buy it you can. Even the hockey rink in backyard.

113 Mildenhall Rd

Toronto, ON M4N 3H4
  • $11,888,000
  • ON SITE: TODAY
  • ID#: C4473043
1280_boomver_1_C4473043-19.jpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His estimated career earnings according to capfriendly is around 97M. That doesn't include any investments he's made, or advertisements he's done (he did one with Mitch for a bank or insurance thing, and then he's done some back in SJ as well).

He could more than afford a 11M home. It's not like he's paying 11M up front. It's mortgage payments.

That 11M is Canadian and his career earnings are in USD. Imagine the interest etc alone off his career earnings.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He stills owns it. He has not sold yet. If you want to buy it you can. Even the hockey rink in backyard.

113 Mildenhall Rd

Toronto, ON M4N 3H4
  • $11,888,000
  • ON SITE: TODAY
  • ID#: C4473043
1280_boomver_1_C4473043-19.jpg

wow, didn't realize he'd go that far for a house. Seemed like it was always a case they were moving back to California after he was done, why not rent or buy a cheaper house. $11M is crazy money for a house.

Career earning of $97M with tax of 50% is $48.5M spending a 5th of your earnings on a house seems crazy.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
wow, didn't realize he'd go that far for a house. Seemed like it was always a case they were moving back to California after he was done, why not rent or buy a cheaper house. $11M is crazy money for a house.

Career earning of $97M with tax of 50% is $48.5M spending a 5th of your earnings on a house seems crazy.

Again, he didn’t spend 11M.

Over two years, he probably paid a couple million off of it, and he’s getting that back when he sells.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Again, he didn’t spend 11M.

Over two years, he probably paid a couple million off of it, and he’s getting that back when he sells.

if it sells, those houses at that price range aren't going "over asking" like the regular type houses are. But at the end of the day its his money and he has financial advisors so it really doesn't matter just shocked is all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
if it sells, those houses at that price range aren't going "over asking" like the regular type houses are. But at the end of the day its his money and he has financial advisors so it really doesn't matter just shocked is all.

The price he bought it at, versus what he is selling at likely didn’t change much.

He’s not losing money in this at all and if anything, may gain some.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Not really. My place is over 3M and guessing earnings around 10M to-date with after tax around 6M so i'm into about half into a house. so a fifth into a house is pretty cheap all things considered. And Marleau is free and clear on his place as no lien on property.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If the plan was for him to leave after the 2nd season, why would he need to be told he wouldn't be a regular?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad