Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I still can't believe we are getting so lucky with Marleau and Zaitsev.

If we have to overpay our stars, it's not ideal, but it's acceptable. We just can't overpay guys like Marleau and Zaitsev. Overpaying Matthews+Nylander+Marner by a collective $4m/year won't kill us. Marleau and Zaitsev are overpaid by that sum *each*.

We're going to be a highly competitive hockey team for a while.

Reactions: kb and Duke Silver

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lou's mistakes are going to be gone in about a month. Just amazing good fortune.

Marleau did exactly what was asked of him, and that was to help the kids develop, Tavares was an unexpected signing and I'm sure the Leafs didn't expect the two kids to want 11 AAV ... common sense, brother. Zaitsev loss will hurt us, a 20 minute PK guy is n8t easily replaced, at 4 AAV, wait an see next season

Reactions: sparxx87

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There wasn't a good reason, and it was wishful thinking. There were more indications that Marleau wanted to stay and I wouldn't be surprised that if it was up to him, he would have. However, his family clearly preferred moving back home.

Disagree. There were plenty of indications if you followed the money.

We can and we will.
Tavares saying he didn’t want to go somewhere and subtract
Dubas smiling about his plan and the numbers after Matthews hand willy
Still talking to gardiner.

The only way any of this made sense from the beginning is if they had a lot more money than we thought.

6.25 sounds about right. Many said this was how it was going to go since day 1

Reactions: sparxx87

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yup. There were a ton of people who predicted this exact scenario. There were also a number of people who were saying that 100% guaranteed, Marleau would be in Toronto for the next 3 years. As of today, it seems pretty clear that the first group of people were right (no matter how much the second group would like to blame it on Mrs. Marleau).

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm speculating a simple explanation instead of confirming the conspiracy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not blaming anyone, I'm speculating a simple explanation instead of confirming the conspiracy.

Eh, blame was a poor choice of words.

The contract was structured in such a way that many speculated that the idea all along was for Marleau to play here for two, not three years. That was a very simple theory, people were saying it from day one.

The whole wife story is just weird. Everything was fine the first two years and now all of a sudden, they just can't take living here any more? Would have been much more believable had he asked for a trade after one year here instead of two.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't know about that. Until now, I don't think there was any good reason to believe that, beyond the wishful thinking that everyone else was doing, but not saying.

Maybe you didn't believe it, many people did though. Not just diceman, there were many others as well who said he wouldn't be here for the 3rd year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What was the reason, besides the fact that the third year looked bad?

I was mostly on the sidelines for this one so others probably can explain better but I'll take a shot.

The 3rd year was bad, that was obvious from the start. The contract was also structured in such a way that the Leafs essentially pay him for 3 years before the 3rd year starts which means that he'd be tradeable after the 2nd year to a team that doesn't mind the cap hit (or even wants the cap hit) but doesn't want to spend real money. Marleau wanted money, the Leafs offered him more than anyone else. The Leafs wanted him off the books after 2 years but have tons of cash so don't mind paying most of the 3rd year as long as they can ditch the cap hit. So a handshake deal is the perfect solution that gives both parties what they want.

The 3rd year was always the main reason for me that the handshake deal seemed most likely. I think Lou's a pretty smart guy, the 3rd year was just so obviously a terrible idea and I found it almost impossible to believe that Lou would do something that dumb.

Reactions: WildWolfdog and kb

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
These lameduck players are being remarkably cooperative with the organization. We're not used to this around these parts. We're used to players with the power of veto (or up coming power veto in Zaitsev's case) staring down Leafs' management. Perhaps Dubas is using whatever leverage he's got on the two:
1. Maybe he told Marleau he'd be a part time player next season thus ending his iron man streak.
2. Maybe Zaitsev was reminded that the team can trade him anywhere for the next month until his NTC kicks in and if he'd like to have some say into it the two parties could agree to a destination before the end of June.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The other thing is that we keep mentioning "West" like its any team in the Western Conference. I'd say that is unlikely.

I'd guess PM has given Dubas a short list of destinations that he'll agree to based on how long it takes to get back to San Jose. For those that do a lot of air travel (like business folks or professional athletes), they know what a pain in the butt it is.

Yep.

Sort of like West Coast or I’m done.

It is all about reducing the 6.25 from a position of weakness.

Great test for Dubas. Curious to see what he has in the tank.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No offense, but that seems pretty naive. I think it's more likely the mgmt went to these guys with a "you're-not-wanted-here" message.

That's not the story though.

The story is Mrs Marleau wants to go back to Cali. If that's the case, and there's no reason to believe it's not, then it has nothing to do with the GM. What does have go do with him is what type of deal he can make.

With Zaitsev, I think he sees he's become the whipping boy in the marketplace, so he wants a fresh start. Again, nothing to do with the GM, just dumb luck.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I guess you havent seen the state L.A. is in these day's? They are on verge of a major pandemic.

They have an outbreak of Typhus.

If they are on the verge of a pandemic.... which means across the country/world.... it wouldn’t be confined to LA. Or the US for that matter. Planes go in and out of LA all the time.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Marleau sold his house, LA is speaking to Toronto as reported = Marleau has presented the leafs a list of teams he will go to.

Now all Dubas has to do is trade him to one of the teams on his list that doesn't cost us more then Marleau or barely more. With taking back the least amount of salary.

Guidelines are in place, that its for Dubas to do. Its only a matter of time.

As for Zaitsev, he gets traded before July 1st that is when his NTC kicks in. Its only a matter of time.

Before July 1st, we will have a better idea of what we can and cannot spend. And Marner also will be resigned in short order.

All is good in Leaf land.

It’s looking up.

Here’s the catch.

Family sold their house. Marleau is a family guy.

He either plays on the West Coast or he retires after collecting his bonus.

There is a scenario in here in which we eat 6.25 in cap with a retirement.

Dubas has a putt to make and there are no gimmies

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
They have an outbreak of Typhus.

If they are on the verge of a pandemic.... which means across the country/world.... it wouldn’t be confined to LA. Or the US for that matter. Planes go in and out of LA all the time.

Like I said, 'on the verge of a pandemic' meaning, it is so bad there, that SOON it is going to explode... hence 'verge'
=D ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s looking up.

Here’s the catch.

Family sold their house. Marleau is a family guy.

He either plays on the West Coast or he retires after collecting his bonus.

There is a scenario in here in which we eat 6.25 in cap with a retirement.

Dubas has a putt to make and there are no gimmies

There hasnt been any suggestion hes considering retirement.....

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Adding to a previous answer IIRC Lou had came out about a week or less prior to signing Marleau and said despite needing a defenceman they couldn't afford to go 3 years on one because that's when Marners and Matthews new deals were coming so they didn't want that overlap. That's actually exactly the reason we didn't retain Hunwick but instead got Hainsey(thankfully), because Pittsburgh offered the 3rd year we wouldn't give him. So for me, that added onto the way the thing was structured(and some comments Marleau made at the time that gave me that feeling) were the reasons I thought that way. Just didn't make sense they were dead set against it to upgrade their weakness but they go and hand out 6.25 in cap to Marleau for that same year.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Retirement is the least desirable option here because the Leafs would still be on the hook for PM's salary against the cap.
However if a reasonable trade cannot be made and PM does want to retire instead, can he not just lift his NMC or NTC and go to the Marlies. That would allow the contract to be absorbed by the Marlies and PM could still retire at will. Maybe an inducer would be his full contract dollars under the table. :sarcasm:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
6.25 sounds about right. Many said this was how it was going to go since day 1

This is the part that makes me laugh a little. Many Leaf fans said all along it was a 2 year deal. The masses cry "No way! Unpossible!". Fast forward two years, looks like Marleau is leaving. The masses cry "OMG! Major problems in Toronto!".

You can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: taurine330

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The fact that the leafs kept saying that they had money for everyone. The fact that Tavares was convinced that they wouldn’t lose their core. The fact that they have been talking to gards the whole time.

The money didn’t add up. Now magically it does.... surprise

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There hasnt been any suggestion hes considering retirement.....

There can’t be before the bonuses. What’s he going to say. Yep just give me next years money and I’m out?

This has been the plan all along. If not. He goes to camp. Says he has to retire for his family and leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad