The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

SteveV*

Maybe at some point we do part with a defenceman, we are quite deep and a guy like Percy looks close. That said, three games into a season and we're shopping people, come on. These media guys just throw out everything and you guys eat it up without reservation. Yep, season is a week in, we're undefeated and Nonis is shopping a young stud. Alrighty Elliott. Please.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
If your GM isn't always looking to improve the roster I don't think he should be doing the job.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I don't think you and Elliott have the same "sources". Regardless you seem so attached to Gardiner you're against the idea of seeing what the price is for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Any trade that makes us a better team is a good idea.

A lot of people were upset with dealing Frattin as well.

SteveV*

I don't think you and Elliott have the same "sources". Regardless you seem so attached to Gardiner you're against the idea of seeing what the price is for him.

That isn't news then, if a GM inquires about the market for everyone, doing his job as you insist, that isn't noteworthy. These guys want hits, lap it up if you must, I'm Zzzzzz.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think Randy should take a trip down memory lane and try to remember his relationship with Roger Nielsen. RC got traded and had a great career and it wasn't long after that Roger was fired. You need to work with good young players and I don't believe you would get good value for him.

Now if the Avalanche would say hold off until Feb and do a straight up with O'Reilly then I would consider it.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Trading gardiner now would put nonis down in the history books and lists of worst trades ever.
I think his potential in two years is well beyond a skill set coach randy can relate too.
Rc and his prehistoric coaching methods could cost us alot of our young and future players.
I believe players with the hands and iq/vision like gardiner kadri have to be allowed to try things and they will make mistakes but once they figure it out.
Wow
Having reilly and gards on the pp for the next ten years is too exciting to trade him for middle of the pack return.

Unless its a stupid offer like matty d from col , or rnh from the oilers i would giggle when teams ask about him. "How bout a coach im trying to get rid of one those" would be my response

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Trading gardiner now would put nonis down in the history books and lists of worst trades ever.
I think his potential in two years is well beyond a skill set coach randy can relate too.
Rc and his prehistoric coaching methods could cost us alot of our young and future players.
I believe players with the hands and iq/vision like gardiner kadri have to be allowed to try things and they will make mistakes but once they figure it out.
Wow
Having reilly and gards on the pp for the next ten years is too exciting to trade him for middle of the pack return.

Unless its a stupid offer like matty d from col , or rnh from the oilers i would giggle when teams ask about him. "How bout a coach im trying to get rid of one those" would be my response

why is everyone saying this? why do you guys think he is giving Gardiner away for free?

obviously we will get a solid piece back

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Only players i could see making sense are Coutourier or ROR... Gardiner is a much more fun player to watch then these guys but these are beastly centers.... They play the position to a T and have the skill...Where as a guy like Kadri doesnt play the position to a T yet but has a ton of skill.

Trading Gardiner would be dumb his offensive talent comboed with speed and size is something i dont really see anywhere in the NHL... Maybe his old D partner Schultz but he doesnt have the same flair as Gardiner.

But getting a Center doesnt really make sense... We have Bozak Kadri Bolland and Mcclement... Unless were moving Kadri to the wing... but i dont think that would be smart, hes best in the middle when he has more passing options. Bozak is our top line center, he signed the contract and were gonna have to live with him, he may not be the big name hyped prospect but he will soon be a solid veteran center who does all the little things right and plays the position well, it woulda been nice to see a guy like ROR or Coutourier who are strong puck carriers and a little bigger and more solid but he does the trick we just need to make other areas of our team a little stronger then other teams, for example having a really skilled back end and wingers... Which we should have when Rielly and Gardiner develop a little more.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Clearly Nonis is dealing him for a 2nd rounder...

HANG HIM BEFORE HE DOES ANYTHING!

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
eventually something has to give on the back end. Phaneuf for better or worse will be signed long term. Gunnar, Franson and Fraser are all mid-twenties. Ranger is still only 28 although the jury is still out how far back he can come. Gardiner and Rielly are babies. Thats 7 dmen right there. Granberg, Percy, Finn, MacWilliam and maybe Blacker are 5 more that will play in the show somewhere. Hell maybe even Holzer and Brennan to boot. Thats a lot of Dman. Patience folks some will be moved eventually and probably for a nice forward piece of the puzzle. This is not a finished product.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Only players i could see making sense are Coutourier or ROR... Gardiner is a much more fun player to watch then these guys but these are beastly centers.... They play the position to a T and have the skill...Where as a guy like Kadri doesnt play the position to a T yet but has a ton of skill.

Trading Gardiner would be dumb his offensive talent comboed with speed and size is something i dont really see anywhere in the NHL... Maybe his old D partner Schultz but he doesnt have the same flair as Gardiner.

But getting a Center doesnt really make sense... We have Bozak Kadri Bolland and Mcclement... Unless were moving Kadri to the wing... but i dont think that would be smart, hes best in the middle when he has more passing options.

This Sean "Coutourier" fellow was outscored by Nazem Kadri by ~15G/30pts last season, is actually somehow worse than Kadri at faceoffs and is currently a -3 and pointless to start the season.

ROR and Couturier are completely different players at different stages in development. Couturier only wishes he might become as an effective two-way player that ROR is.

Regardless in terms of value ROR = Kadri > Gardiner > Couturier IMO.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
People are all sayin it because you dont have to be an nhl gm to realise that gardiner potential cant be measured yet so how can you possibly get fair value back?

Add the fact that everyone is talking crap about the kid including the coach.
What do you think the other 29 gms or any of their staffs dont watch tsn or sportsnet like us.
Get serious....his market value is at a low point and you think teams are gonna give u anything back

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Luongo to Toronto!

All last year. De nada,this is more of the same. Carlyle says Gardiner not at peak form,rumours abound. This move makes little sense for us,unless we get a young star Center.I doubt Reilly can just replace Gardiner at 19.

Good move shop a guy after your coach slams him publicly,not!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
why is everyone saying this? why do you guys think he is giving Gardiner away for free?

obviously we will get a solid piece back

People were saying the same things about Schenn before he was moved and now have realized he isn't the 2nd coming of Rod Langway .

You're right Nonis will get a quality piece back or he won't deal him . Hell maybe he doesn't even intend to trade him but is just listening to offers in case some team is desperate enough to overpay for him .

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
People were saying the same things about Schenn before he was moved and now have realized he isn't the 2nd coming of Rod Langway .

You're right Nonis will get a quality piece back or he won't deal him . Hell maybe he doesn't even intend to trade him but is just listening to offers in case some team is desperate enough to overpay for him .

I think there are plenty of teams that are looking for young skating defensemen like Jake.

I'm sure he'll get some offers and will want to move him out West unless he gets an offer he can't say no to. People always blow this stuff up. If Gardiner has 3 straight games, he goes back to being untouchable.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
I don't think this has to do with a Carlyle/Gardiner dispute so much as management seeing that, of all our defensemen who contribute offensively, Gardiner probably fits in the least moving forward, with the lack of any physical element to his game and not being particularly useful on the PK or in defensive situations, etc.

Despite that, he's still a good player with good upside, so I'm guessing they're just throwing his name out there to see what kind of interest there is. With so many expiring contracts next summer there are definitely a lot of decisions to make over the next six months

I'd sooner move Phaneuf and bring up MacWilliam than let Gardiner go.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Ya but remember everyone said we wouldnt end up getting anything for schenn and we ended up getting jvr.
Jvr is a legit top line forward on almost every team in the league.
No one saw that return coming and unless we get similar return here trading gardiner to make coach rtard happy is dumb

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I think Randy should take a trip down memory lane and try to remember his relationship with Roger Nielsen. RC got traded and had a great career and it wasn't long after that Roger was fired. You need to work with good young players and I don't believe you would get good value for him.

Now if the Avalanche would say hold off until Feb and do a straight up with O'Reilly then I would consider it.

Also, Lupul and Carlyle never had a good relationship and now Lupul is one of his best players.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I don't think the Leafs would wait all summer on Gardiner and decide to trade him after 3 games. All this is just to get him going, get under his skin and force him to play a better game.

He hasn't even been that bad

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Prying Oleksiak out of dallas would be nice. Something along the lines of Gardiner and liles for Oleksiak and Fiddler

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Ya but remember everyone said we wouldnt end up getting anything for schenn and we ended up getting jvr.
Jvr is a legit top line forward on almost every team in the league.
No one saw that return coming and unless we get similar return here trading gardiner to make coach rtard happy is dumb

Coach Pejorative Slur understands the D's first priority is to play D and not go rooming around the ice . Coach Pejorative Slur also had a guy like Nieds who could easily outperform Gards offensively on his best day but understood when and where he could use his offensive skills . Coach Pejorative Slur also wants Gards to develop into a quality all around D .

Gards was a frwd before he switched to D and there's plenty of frwds with skill and skating ability who could play the same style Gards plays at the moment . This isn't a game of shinny and if this is how Gards thinks defense is played then I could easily drop a forward with some skill on D to replace him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad