The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
Via The Score App

''There is definitely some level of conversation going on between other teams and Toronto involving*Jake Gardiner. I despise the word "shopped," as it's more like a feeling-out process. If the Maple Leafs do decide to do it, it's going to be for a young asset or assets. So, you have to look at teams with talented young players. This is PURELY my speculation, but if teams like Dallas, Florida or Minnesota would be interested, you could see a match. ''

Elliotte Freidman

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Really don't get why this is happening. Sure Carlyle and Gardiner may not be a good match with each other but surely they can get over it, trading him because of the relationship is so stupid. It's not like it's ugly or anything. Unless I hear about an argument between the two or something affecting the locker room, I will refuse to believe this.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'd rather fire Carlyle then trade gardiner for half of what he will become.

+1 but don't think that's going to happen

Sadly I think we'll see Gardiner moved because he doesn't fit RCs system. I it comes down to Rielly or Gardiner

Hopefully they still recognize how good Gardiner is and his potential to be great and value him appropriately if moved.

Ace88*

Silliness. Because we just can't have both Rielly and Gardiner, right.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Cue the panic.

Which is it:
a) "There is definitely some level of conversation going on"
or
b)"This is PURELY my speculation"

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
So Flordia is thinking about moving Huberdeau eh? :sarcasm:

Hope this is to light a fire under his ass. Gardiner has been crap for the first 2 games. I doubt Carlyle will have much of an issue with him if he shows some consistency.

Kyle Doobas*

I don't think this has to do with a Carlyle/Gardiner dispute so much as management seeing that, of all our defensemen who contribute offensively, Gardiner probably fits in the least moving forward, with the lack of any physical element to his game and not being particularly useful on the PK or in defensive situations, etc.

Despite that, he's still a good player with good upside, so I'm guessing they're just throwing his name out there to see what kind of interest there is. With so many expiring contracts next summer there are definitely a lot of decisions to make over the next six months

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This is hogwash, this is just media clap trap, they are struggling to find things on the "controversial, bad side" of the tracks, regarding the leafs.

We are 3 and 0, great for us fans, tricky for the media.

Happy happy, raw raw pieces don't evoke conversation. as well as the other side of the tracks.

They dying to and trying to make the tender situation an issue and trades, not easy to stay relevant when the team is doing well.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The only way I'd trade Gardiner is to package him for a young legit top line center. I wouldn't even trade him for a D at this point. Everyone is hung up in getting another dman to play top line minutes, but if we wait 2-3 years both Gardiner and Rielly will be those guys.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only way I'd trade Gardiner is to package him for a young legit top line center. I wouldn't even trade him for a D at this point. Everyone is hung up in getting another dman to play top line minutes, but if we wait 2-3 years both Gardiner and Rielly will be those guys.

And I think Nonis probably shares your feelings.

There's no point in trading Gardiner away. He's going to be on the cheap side for a little while (even past this year), so trading him off for a measily pick or whatever seems rather idiotic.

With Fraser out for awhile as well, it doesn't make much sense to make our defensive core that much weaker as well.

So in the end, I doubt anything comes out of this.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Gardiner + B forward prospect

For a young centre plus a B defence prospect I would do. Percy looks to be ready within the year based off his training camp.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Not many defensemen can do what Gardiner does on the ice, and unless we are getting a young top line centre for him, there is no point in trading him. He has superstar potential.

Maybe a Gardiner for Couturier deal can be worked out.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There's no point in trading Gardiner, he's on a cheap contract. People who are even thinking that we can't have both Rielly and Gardiner are crazy. Give me a reason why we CAN'T have both? It's like saying we can't have two good goalies. WHY NOT?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Cue the panic.

Which is it:
or

a) Freidman has heard that Gardiner is being discussed between Nonis and other GM's.

b) He is simply speculating on which teams are interested.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
For a good return, I'm fine with trading anyone on the team. Trading Gardiner at this point in time is extremely stupid though...unless teams are paying for his potential.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
There's no point in trading Gardiner, he's on a cheap contract. People who are even thinking that we can't have both Rielly and Gardiner are crazy. Give me a reason why we CAN'T have both? It's like saying we can't have two good goalies. WHY NOT?

because RC likes predictable, controllable D, and preferably big

he's meticulous in his system and no more than his D who hates when they deviate from his plan.

Gardiner's game is based on his physical ability, talent and creativity

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario

I agree with you 100%. I'd only move Gardiner in a package for a legit top C prospect or young NHLer. Some teams looking for young, talented depth could be interested in this. Maybe a team like Calgary would be interested in moving a top notch prospect like Baertschi or Monahan for 2 or 3 good young pieces and a pick or 2. Or maybe they'd even want something like Reimer + Gardiner?

I dunno, I'm not usually one to throw out speculative offers/potential offers but I thought I'd give it a try. Heck, I don't even know if I'd do that lol.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
For a good return, I'm fine with trading anyone on the team. Trading Gardiner at this point in time is extremely stupid though...unless teams are paying for his potential.

Agreed.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think Reimer + Gardiner + 1st Rounder may give us a really great, young #2 (potentially #1) centerman.

edit: would LOVE to make an offer to Colorado but without Reimer in the mix I don't think we have enough to pry away one of their centers and COL doesn't need a goalie.

edit x2: Kadri + Gardiner + 1st enough for ROR?

edit x3: Reimer for 1st rounder

I think going this route we dont create any holes getting ROR (if it is enough to get him) and we still get a 1st rounder. Liles can take Gardiner place if needed but not required.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think Reimer + Gardiner + 1st Rounder will give us a really great, young #2 (potentially #1) centerman.

no doubt the leafs are much improved, but they are just turning that corner. don't think they are in any position to deal multiple talents for 1

IMO target someone that could be a #1 C soon and don't pay the price for a legit established guy

deal from positions of strength to address a position of need
Gardiner and Reimer would fall in to that category...but maybe not until the deadline or offseason

i.e. Johansen in Columbus, Strome, Burmistrov,

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Reimer + Gardiner + 1st Rounder may give us a really great, young #2 (potentially #1) centerman.

edit: would LOVE to make an offer to Colorado but without Reimer in the mix I don't think we have enough to pry away one of their centers and COL doesn't need a goalie.

edit x2: Kadri + Gardiner + 1st enough for ROR?

edit x3: Reimer for 1st rounder

I think going this route we dont create any holes getting ROR (if it is enough to get him) and we still get a 1st rounder. Liles can take Gardiner place if needed but not required.

I wouldn't trade Kadri alone for ROR.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Cue the panic.

Which is it:
or

The "purely speculation" part is in regards to the specific teams he mentioned, not about whether or not there has been discussion.

Personally, I don't see any reason why we would trade a guy like Gardiner at his lowest value since we acquired him, particularly when he's shown so much promise and when our main deficiency is on the blue-line. And after seeing Carlyle working with Gardiner after game 1, I refuse to believe there's any tension between them, unless they speak about it publicly themselves. The kid's got work to do and hasn't been playing to the level he has in the past, everyone knows this. He also has a ton of potential and has already displayed his ability to play fantastic hockey, and everyone knows this as well. He'll be great as he develops, and I imagine we'll get to watch him do it with a blue leaf on his chest.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
Can anyone tell me how trading away our possible top pairing guy, from our weakest position, while he's not playing well making him a sell-low commodity, MAKES ANY F***ING SENSE?!?!

Nonis did well on some things this offseason. He also did some bad.

If he trades Jake Gardiner I'm going to lose my mind.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can anyone tell me how trading away our possible top pairing guy, from our weakest position, while he's not playing well making him a sell-low commodity, MAKES ANY F***ING SENSE?!?!

Nonis did well on some things this offseason. He also did some bad.

If he trades Jake Gardiner I'm going to lose my mind.

If Nonis trades Gardiner and does not get a good return based on his potential..

I think we can all agree on this:

Nonis is Carlyle's *****. Carlyle is the GM, not Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad