The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I completely do not understand why posters on this board want ROR.

He is a restricted free agent next year with a qualifying offer of 6.5M.

That means if we traded for him in order for us to sign him next year we have to offer him a contract of 6.5M. Gardiner makes 875K and is a restricted free
agent with a qualifying offer of 1M. That is a difference of our cap hit or 5M dollars next year.

If the cap goes up to 70M as reported that gives us 6M to sign our
free agents. If we use 5M on ROR where does the rest of the money to
sign Bolland,Phaneuf,Kulemin.Fraser,Franson,Raymong,Reimer come from?

we CANNOT afford to trade for ROR>!

I am not saying I support the idea of gards for ROR but I do like ROR as a player, he brings a lot to a team, but hypothetically Colorado could take another player as a salary dump, no?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Gardiner for ROR would be AWESOME. I would certainly do it. IF they ask for Gardiner +, goodbye and **** off.

Gardiner is going to be ELITE, thats for sure. Avs lack defence, Gardiner provides them with one of the best young PMD in the league right now.

In return, Leafs add depth down the middle. Win-win for both teams?

It's not like the Avs would suffer from moving ROR, I mean look at their center depth: Mckinnon, Duchene, Statsny,.....

Stasny is an upcoming UFA and it seems he may not be back. Shame on Nonis for taking calls from other GM's. I wonder if Nonis actually has the guts to call other GM's about their top players to see if they would consider trading them? # 2 D is priority over a # 1 center IMO. With the needs on D, depth at C, and need for goaltending, a desperate homer is the most likely trade partner. Reimer will be gone well before Gardiner.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It is already proven. Buy out Grabo. Give ridiculous contract out to Clarkson and resigning Bozak :shakehead:

Gardiner hopefully is not going anywhere. Is our memory that weak that we have forgotten the playoff Gardiner already? Gardiner is a stud D and will become an all-star stud in this league. There aren't many yound Ds like him around the league.

BTW I do not think Carlyle and Gards have problems. According to the pre-match talk I do not get the vibe that Carlyle dislikes Gards.

The really funny thing is that the exact reason why there's any issue here at all is because Carlyle remembers exactly what Playoff Gardiner was like. He saw how good he can be, and he sees him now not playing up to that level. That's the only thing I've heard about this whole situation that actually came from Carlyle himself, and all it shows me is that he's a man who wants to see the best from his best players, something absolutely no fan should be upset about.

(I know you clarified your position more at the end, so this is directed less at you and more to the crazy people hating on Carlyle for doing his job)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I am not saying I support the idea of gards for ROR but I do like ROR as a player, he brings a lot to a team, but hypothetically Colorado could take another player as a salary dump, no?

Also, just because RORs qualifying offer is high, doesnt mean they have to sign him to THAT caphit. If they offered him a 5-7 year deal at a slightly lower caphit, he would probably take it.

And if Gardiner is as good as everyone who's terrified of trading him thinks, then his caphit next season will be starting to climb pretty quickly as well.

Ignoring the cap, ROR is the more valuable player right now AND is younger than Gardiner. With the cap considerations, theyre closer in value.

Both have good upside but both are only semi-proven. I dont expect ROR to be a legit #1 C, but I also dont expect Gardiner to be a #1 D.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Also, just because RORs qualifying offer is high, doesnt mean they have to sign him to THAT caphit. If they offered him a 5-7 year deal at a slightly lower caphit, he would probably take it.

And if Gardiner is as good as everyone who's terrified of trading him thinks, then his caphit next season will be starting to climb pretty quickly as well.

Ignoring the cap, ROR is the more valuable player right now AND is younger than Gardiner. With the cap considerations, theyre closer in value.

Both have good upside but both are only semi-proven. I dont expect ROR to be a legit #1 C, but I also dont expect Gardiner to be a #1 D.

ROR is more valuable than Gardiner to the Leafs or in general?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Something around Gardiner for Ryan Johansen?

Columbus is pretty strong on the blueline. JJ, R. Murray, Wisniewski, Tyutin, Erixon, etc. theyre thin up front though, so I dont see why theyd move Johansen unless it was in a package for a better forward.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Kadri amd Gardiner for Stamkos

Pipedream

Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep Kadri and Gardiner. Stamkos blows them each out of the water individually, but their combined potential is too much to give up for any one player not named Crosby.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Columbus is pretty strong on the blueline. JJ, R. Murray, Wisniewski, Tyutin, Erixon, etc. theyre thin up front though, so I dont see why theyd move Johansen unless it was in a package for a better forward.
I guess that is true! Just throwing some names out there. Trying to gauge what they would be looking for if they ended up trading him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep Kadri and Gardiner. Stamkos blows them each out of the water individually, but their combined potential is too much to give up for any one player not named Crosby.

Thats ridiculous.

n1ck13

Jul 28, 2013

Fine... your crazy, j/k. I disagree but definitely, there is a ton of value to both Kadri and Gardiner. In exchange for both of them in a package the haul should be a young player who is already a borderline superstar.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Thats ridiculous.

I look at Kadri as a potential 90-point scorer and Gardiner as a potential ~45-point Defenseman. Stamkos is an unreal talent, yeah, and as I said, better than either individual piece by a good margin, both now and most-likely in the future. But when all 3 are in their primes, I think Kadri and Gardiner combined will be more valuable to a team than one Stamkos.

Like I said, you can feel free to call me crazy, I don't mind seeming ridiculous, especially when I know it's not the popular opinion. Not everybody is as high on Kadri as I am, but I wouldn't have traded Gilmour and a young Niedermayer for Messier.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I look at Kadri as a potential 90-point scorer and Gardiner as a potential ~45-point Defenseman. Stamkos is an unreal talent, yeah, and as I said, better than either individual piece by a good margin, both now and most-likely in the future. But when all 3 are in their primes, I think Kadri and Gardiner combined will be more valuable to a team than one Stamkos.

Like I said, you can feel free to call me crazy, I don't mind seeming ridiculous, especially when I know it's not the popular opinion. Not everybody is as high on Kadri as I am, but I wouldn't have traded Gilmour and a young Niedermayer for Messier.

I love your optimism but Kadri and Gards aren't Gilmour and Nieds .

You do realize Stamkos/Kadri and Gards are all born within months of each other and the only thing more foolish than Yzerman agreeing to this deal is Nonis turning it down .

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Monahan, definitely not. Calgarian friend of mine has a hard on for him (Sven too) but it sounds like there's a rift being formed between management and Baertschi.

Basically every Flame fan I know here has a hard on for both Monahan and Baertschi, guess they really don't have much else to hope for in their minds.

As for the rift it seems that management hasn't gotten tired of coddling him and seeing the same stuff over and over and over again. He apparently focuses strictly on one zone within the game and they are not pleased with that.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I love your optimism but Kadri and Gards aren't Gilmour and Nieds .

You do realize Stamkos/Kadri and Gards are all born within months of each other and the only thing more foolish than Yzerman agreeing to this deal is Nonis turning it down .

You may very well be right. I'm not able to back this up with anything, and I'm more than happy to admit that right now, yeah, it would be a hell of a deal for us. It's entirely based on my own feeling, but I see those guys developing into very special players, particularly Kadri, and I wouldn't be willing to give them up for one player (not named Crosby) before knowing exactly what they're going to top out at.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
I completely do not understand why posters on this board want ROR.

He is a restricted free agent next year with a qualifying offer of 6.5M.

That means if we traded for him in order for us to sign him next year we have to offer him a contract of 6.5M. Gardiner makes 875K and is a restricted free
agent with a qualifying offer of 1M. That is a difference of our cap hit or 5M dollars next year.

If the cap goes up to 70M as reported that gives us 6M to sign our
free agents. If we use 5M on ROR where does the rest of the money to
sign Bolland,Phaneuf,Kulemin.Fraser,Franson,Raymong,Reimer come from?

we CANNOT afford to trade for ROR>!

Is qualifying offer based off of your yearly salary or your caphit? I would have assumed it was cap hit which would make the qualifying offer 5 million but i'm really not sure. If you or someone else could clarify that?

I'm not saying i'd take O'Reilly for Gards as I just don't see the need as we know Bozaks sticking with first line and i'd prefer the more offensively gifted Naz as the number 2 but ROR would be a great pick up, just not at the price $ wise.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Kadri amd Gardiner for Stamkos

Pipedream

As hard as it would be to let those guys go, you have to make that trade in a heartbeat. We would have to add to it if anything.At that point we'd obviously be all in and still have assets to make other moves.

Lupul-Stamkos-Clarkson
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McClaren/?? - McClement - Orr/??

That's a cup contending team year in year out while the defence would be able to handle the loss.

William Nylander*

Lol we're not getting Stamkos.

Anyways Dreger just said that there aren't any serious talks going on at the moment

leafstilldeath*

True. Kadri+Gards is too much talent to give away for just one coming back unless it is ofcourse as you pointed out Crosby.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
The fact that someone is going to bring up datsyuk in a forward to d agrument sort of proves my point.
Not many elite forwards can make the switch sorry but you arent going to comvince me.
I dont come to these boards to argue anyway we are all going to have our opinions and its not worth it to me.
I believe throwing your players name out to the media is a ***** move and i hope the coach goes out of town before gards thats all

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I'd rather fire Carlyle then trade gardiner for half of what he will become.

To much homerism here! Not saying Gardiner isn't a good player, but right now with Reilly coming along they play the same game, it makes one of them expendable... right now Jake is more proven thereago he has more trade value. I'm not saying trade him the first shot, but if a team makes a solid offer then Nonis as a GM needs to consider it...

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
True. Kadri+Gards is too much talent to give away for just one coming back unless it is ofcourse as you pointed out Crosby.

Are you serious? Kadri is NOWHERE near the talent level Crosby is, nor is Gardiner. You'd be foolish to expect getting a guy like Crosby for both of them, this is the problem I have with a lot of leafs fans... homerism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad