The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Gardiner was the best defenceman on the Leafs against the Bruins. Naturally he had to wait for injuries to guys like Kostka to get a chance.

If they trade him based on a tough 3 games to start the season, I assume Paul Ranger will be taking the cab ride to the Ricoh Coliseum too since he's been even worse.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Gardiner was the best defenceman on the Leafs against the Bruins. Naturally he had to wait for injuries to guys like Kostka to get a chance.

If they trade him based on a tough 3 games to start the season, I assume Paul Ranger will be taking the cab ride to the Ricoh Coliseum too since he's been even worse.

Trading a player doesn't mean you think he's terrible.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
If we were to trade Gardiner, I hope we would get a good defensive D or top centreman back in any potential deal.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
I'd sooner move Phaneuf and bring up MacWilliam than let Gardiner go.

Dion make a lot of money yeah, but the guys only 5 years older than Gardiner and has played over 500 games more than he has. When Dion was 20 he was an NHL regular Gardiner is 23 now and we're still waiting for him to turn into what he could become. I love Jake think he has all the potential in the world but Dion seems to be grossly underrated even by his own teams fans.

vwbm

Aug 27, 2013
Huh?

And apparently a lot of idiots on this thread

What a joke

Guy shows flashes of elite potential (playoffs)
And you want to trade the guy.

Sheesh threads a joke.

Didn't Carlyle go on to win a Norris leaving here to soon?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Some of you people are hilarious. Who do you think Nonis is...JFK Jr? He's not going to give away Gardiner. Some of these proposals are hilarious. And you dinks who think that Carlyle is running the show are just plain Pejorative Slured. Nonis knows what he's doing, and is in consultation with his head coach over issues purtaining to players. Some of you take stupid pills today?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd go giddy if we somehow pried Jeff Skinner from the Canes for Gardiner + another B prospect if that was on the table.

Wait a minute Lucy...:laugh:
Skinner has a caphit of 5.75 million, Gardiner 875,000....
We already are at the cap, so what else has to be done?

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Coach Pejorative Slur had f all to do with that team winning a stanley cup and even less to do with the career of nieds!
By the time they made a run for that cup if niedermyer or probger for that matter had have gone to the gm and said he goes or i go and we would have seen rc out of his ass.
Its unfair to use the career swan song of one of the best dmen of all time to argue against a kid.

If there were any forwards that could play d as well as gardiner on any team trust me they would be playing d. Just because he skates better than most forwards doesnt mean all good skating forwards can play d

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Coach "Pejorative Slur" knows what he's doing and used Nieds and Pronger so that they achieve maximum potential. How many cups did Pronger win anyways? You need a good coach, along with good players, and along with good luck to win a Stanley Cup. Don't sell our coach short.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Your right maybe we should throw all our talented players over the cliff because our coach doesnt like them. Adterall that how he got all those cup rings

Mar 26, 2010
DO NOT trade Gardiner! He is the best D we have.

Don't do it Nonis!

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Coach "Pejorative Slur" knows what he's doing and used Nieds and Pronger so that they achieve maximum potential. How many cups did Pronger win anyways? You need a good coach, along with good players, and along with good luck to win a Stanley Cup. Don't sell our coach short.

Lavy won a cup, ask flyer fans what they think of him?

Short of a big over payment you don't trade Gards cause it's gonna bite you hard in the assh. Hes gonna be a legit top pairing dman that's going to be a offensive star in this league within 3 years and for a long time too... Just about the time we should be cup contenders for years to come.

As far as getting a forward, unless you land a #1c, you don't do it.
You build from the net out.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I think Randy should take a trip down memory lane and try to remember his relationship with Roger Nielsen. RC got traded and had a great career and it wasn't long after that Roger was fired. You need to work with good young players and I don't believe you would get good value for him.

Now if the Avalanche would say hold off until Feb and do a straight up with O'Reilly then I would consider it.

I completely do not understand why posters on this board want ROR.

He is a restricted free agent next year with a qualifying offer of 6.5M.

That means if we traded for him in order for us to sign him next year we have to offer him a contract of 6.5M. Gardiner makes 875K and is a restricted free
agent with a qualifying offer of 1M. That is a difference of our cap hit or 5M dollars next year.

If the cap goes up to 70M as reported that gives us 6M to sign our
free agents. If we use 5M on ROR where does the rest of the money to
sign Bolland,Phaneuf,Kulemin.Fraser,Franson,Raymong,Reimer come from?

we CANNOT afford to trade for ROR>!

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Guys don't worry. Remember all the trade rumours about Bobby Ryan? And now look what happe-

Nvm

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Coach Pejorative Slur had f all to do with that team winning a stanley cup and even less to do with the career of nieds!
By the time they made a run for that cup if niedermyer or probger for that matter had have gone to the gm and said he goes or i go and we would have seen rc out of his ass.
Its unfair to use the career swan song of one of the best dmen of all time to argue against a kid.

If there were any forwards that could play d as well as gardiner on any team trust me they would be playing d. Just because he skates better than most forwards doesnt mean all good skating forwards can play d

I never said he played any part in neids development . I just said he had a skilled D who understood that playing D came before roving for points .

Gards has had spurts of playing competent D and when combined with his offensive potential it would make for a high quality player . He needs to become consistent in the defensive duties and learn how to pick his spots offensively .

Gards was a frwd who went to D and if I took any skilled good skating frwd and gave him a year or two in the minors he could play a roving style of D . This doesn't mean he'd be effective but I'm simply saying Gards overall skill set while unique for a D isn't anything special as a frwd

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

This is hilarious, there are several forwards who play a better defensive game than Gardiner. You really think that Datsyuk is only a forward because he wouldn't be good enough as a defenseman?

Your right maybe we should throw all our talented players over the cliff because our coach doesnt like them. Adterall that how he got all those cup rings

But our coach does like them. They work hard for him and put up the kinds of results he wants, and we have improved as a team because of it. On top of that, I challenge you to find even one piece of primary evidence (that means no media speculation, but direct from Carlyle or Gardiner) that suggests Carlyle doesn't like Jake. Wanting to get the best out of your players and admitting that they're not at the top of their capabilities, when they obviously aren't (Randy saw the Playoffs, too), does not mean that he dislikes him.

Why is it so hard to understand that the man demands the best from his players, and if he doesn't get it he doesn't play them? Why do we want guys who aren't giving 100% to take away time from guys who will? Instead of being concerned about the name on the back of the jersey, think about the team first. It doesn't matter if you played great before, put in the effort now, or watch someone else take your minutes from you. That's the kind of attitude we should want in our dressing room, not an entitled country-club. I love Gardiner, and I am fully aware that he will be a tremendous hockey player, and has already shown flashes of it, but guess what: Carlyle knows this too. That's why he's doing his job (you know, coaching him) and doing what he has to in order to get the best results from a young player, who, despite the love for him - a lot of it deserved - does not have it all figured out yet and still has room for improvement and development.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Gardiner for ROR would be AWESOME. I would certainly do it. IF they ask for Gardiner +, goodbye and **** off.

Gardiner is going to be ELITE, thats for sure. Avs lack defence, Gardiner provides them with one of the best young PMD in the league right now.

In return, Leafs add depth down the middle. Win-win for both teams?

It's not like the Avs would suffer from moving ROR, I mean look at their center depth: Mckinnon, Duchene, Statsny,.....

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I completely do not understand why posters on this board want ROR.

He is a restricted free agent next year with a qualifying offer of 6.5M.

That means if we traded for him in order for us to sign him next year we have to offer him a contract of 6.5M. Gardiner makes 875K and is a restricted free
agent with a qualifying offer of 1M. That is a difference of our cap hit or 5M dollars next year.

If the cap goes up to 70M as reported that gives us 6M to sign our
free agents. If we use 5M on ROR where does the rest of the money to
sign Bolland,Phaneuf,Kulemin.Fraser,Franson,Raymong,Reimer come from?

we CANNOT afford to trade for ROR>!

Just because that's his qualifying offer doesn't mean that's the amount he has to, or will, sign for, as far as I know. I believe he could sign a contract of any value, and if he has any intention of being on the good side of whichever management team he tries to sign with, it would be in his best interests to negotiate a contract outside of the qualifying offer.

Having said that, we don't have the cap space to do a one-for-one swap of the two this year, so any discussion on that front is probably moot.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Nonis should get rid of Carlyle before even thinking about trading Gardiner. Huge upside and we've seen what he is capable of (in rookie season + playoffs). Maybe if Carlyle can utilize him properly and stop freaking out every time he has a giveaway (shocking a player that handles the puck and moves it a lot would make turnovers -- maybe he should stick to what Frazer does, hammer it around the boards and give the puck back to the opposition).

It's also quite hilarious a team with a terrible defense would consider trading their young defensemen with a ton of upside.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nonis should get rid of Carlyle before even thinking about trading Gardiner. Huge upside and we've seen what he is capable of (in rookie season + playoffs). Maybe if Carlyle can utilize him properly and stop freaking out every time he has a giveaway (shocking a player that handles the puck and moves it a lot would make turnovers -- maybe he should stick to what Frazer does, hammer it around the boards and give the puck back to the opposition).

It's also quite hilarious a team with a terrible defense would consider trading their young defensemen with a ton of upside.

Nonis shouldn't think about getting rid of either, they're both integral pieces to the current and forth-coming success of this team.

This whole situation is ridiculous and creating way more drama than it should.

I can just picture media outlets checking out a thread like this:

1374169_10151711038417005_731447050_n.jpg

n1ck13

Jul 28, 2013
I would hope that Nonis would explore the trade market on all of our players, with maybe the exception of Kessel. This is what a GMs job is. I am sure it would take quite a haul for Gardiner. I love Gardiner and think he is a great prospect, however, I would not be adverse to trading him depending on what the return is. He had a great playoffs last year and if he continues to have problems with Carlyle the question becomes... do you trade him now, or do you wait for Carlyle to use him in a manner that doesn't suit his game and drives his value further down, thus limiting what you can get for him?

leafstilldeath*

If Nonis trades Gardiner and does not get a good return based on his potential..

I think we can all agree on this:

Nonis is Carlyle's *****. Carlyle is the GM, not Nonis.

It is already proven. Buy out Grabo. Give ridiculous contract out to Clarkson and resigning Bozak :shakehead:

Gardiner hopefully is not going anywhere. Is our memory that weak that we have forgotten the playoff Gardiner already? Gardiner is a stud D and will become an all-star stud in this league. There aren't many yound Ds like him around the league.

BTW I do not think Carlyle and Gards have problems. According to the pre-match talk I do not get the vibe that Carlyle dislikes Gards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad