The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Never realized it fully til now but looking closely at the Benning's draft history, he's like just as bad as Gillis as drafting outside the 1st and 2nd round lol

Even the 2nd round: after 6 full seasons, Benning had just 37 GP from all his 2nd round picks (all these games by Demko).

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
During the 2016 memorial cup, recall Tkachuk having a bigger impact than Juolevi as he also scored the cup winning goal that year. He was belligerent and an effective force who scored the most goals for the Knights during those playoffs.

What also concerned me at the time was that Mete was getting just as much deployment and being leaned on as much if not more than Juolevi if I remember correctly which also gave me a bit of pause?

However I did have Olli ahead of both Sergachev and Chychrun at the time but yeah Tkachuk was the clear favorite at #5. Also had Keller ahead of Juolevi but still had him in the top 10.

Still believe Benning had the postion (role of power winger) covered with the drafting of Jake the year prior which steered him away from Tkachuk.
That was the year i watched the most OHL+junior hockey (30+ Knights games as they are my favorite OHL team) i ever have, there wasn't even one game Juolevi was a bigger impact than Tkachuk, who was straight up dominant with or without Marner/Dvorak in the lineup. I even paid extra attention to games when he wasn't playing with them. Tkachuk was called a leech/coat tail rider by some, but that same train of thought didn't seem to extend to Juolevi.

One slight correction: Mete was getting more defensive deployments than Juolevi and playing more ES time, iirc. Juolevi was PP1, Mete PP2. But the biggest thing many here ignored was that Juolevi was taken off PP1 during their playoff run... for a 16 yr old Evan Bouchard because Juolevi wasn't doing well there. No one seemed to care.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
All GM's whiff on high picks, if given enough.

Juolevi could have turned out as a decent 2nd pairing D.

The whole point with Juolevi is that Jim Benning is as much a "draft guru" as Mittens, and anyone suggesting Benning should be involved with the org in any capacity because Benning has any ability at drafting is spouting idiocy at best, disingenuous shilling and trolling at worst.

John Weisbrod and Jim Benning.

2014-2021.

The Lost Years.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
How are hitting on top 10 picks considered such a huge thing.

most of us armchair gms could have hit on them watching 15 mins of video and in fact you can go look at the “so you think you can draft threads” to know that we did and what the potato did.

Impress us with your deeper round picks which is where it’s harder.

Heck mine were if I recall correctly:
2014: nylander (wanted him to play with the twins)
2015: konecky
2016: tkachuk
2017: glass
2018: Bouchard (cause Quinn’s defensive play 5on5 scared me but I understood why they took him)
2019: Podz though I never thought benning would take someone a few years away

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That was the year i watched the most OHL+junior hockey (30+ Knights games as they are my favorite OHL team) i ever have, there wasn't even one game Juolevi was a bigger impact than Tkachuk, who was straight up dominant with or without Marner/Dvorak in the lineup. I even paid extra attention to games when he wasn't playing with them.

One slight correction: Mete was getting more defensive deployments than Juolevi and playing more ES time, iirc. Juolevi was PP1, Mete PP2. But the biggest thing many here ignored was that Juolevi was taken off PP1 during their playoff run... for a 16 yr old Evan Bouchard because Juolevi wasn't doing well there. No one seemed to care.
There have been worse moves by Benning but that selection hurt the most of any move in 7 seasons.

Terrible season on the ice.

It killed my prospect nerdom.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Part of me loves it, but another part of me hates that on this board we are still left to dissect and debate Benning's resume as GM up to the day he actually gets fired.

I've been done with that for awhile.

Eventually you have to win games, and this team has mostly sucked for the last 7 years and that's on the GM.

From that 2014 draft weekend to watching Markstrom beat his 3rd worst team in the NHL last night, that's on the GM.

It's time for the GM to be accountable for these 7 years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Drafting isn’t just about finding a gem or two. It’s also about quantity. The Canucks are in the position they are in not just because of bad contracts but because they don’t actually have players in the system to take those positions from the horrendously overpaid crap.

For such a drafting guru it is absolutely pathetic the organization after 7 years has NO ONE to take the place of the likes of Beagle, Sutter, Roussel etc.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Drafting isn’t just about funding a gem or two. It’s about quantity. The Canucks are in the position they are in not just because of bad contracts but because they don’t actually have players in the system to take those positions from the horrendously overpaid crap.

For such a drafting guru it is absolutely pathetic the organization after 7 years has NO ONE to take the place of the likes of Beagle, Sutter, Roussel etc.
Are you over or under the moon?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Legit scared they can Benning and let Weisbrod run the show until seasons end. Hopefully if that’s the case ownership doesn’t let him do jack shit.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
"Mangiapane was on the Canucks’ radar in 2015 until Benning saw him in a junior game. Mangiapane had a bad game."

The Canucks Skate: A holding pattern | The Province

You just gotta laugh at these little tidbits.
LOL.

Our scouts like Mangiapane, Benning sees one game of him and decides he isn't worth taking. The LORD of small sample sizes.

You just can't make this shit up.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Apparently both Weisbrod and Benning's Wikipedia pages have been edited to reflect a past tense in regards to their canucks employment.

(I know it doesn't mean anything but let's hope change is coming.)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Drafting isn’t just about funding a gem or two. It’s about quantity. The Canucks are in the position they are in not just because of bad contracts but because they don’t actually have players in the system to take those positions from the horrendously overpaid crap.

He never acquired picks and traded a fair amount of them. Furthermore, the drafting outside the first round is not good. The 2016 draft was the worst. They finished fourth last and they drafted, Juolevi, Lockwood, Candella, Stukel, Abols and Mckenzie. That year they should have got more picks instead of giving them away. The Nucks had a top five pick. Just a horrible list of players.

Reactions: I am toxic

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Legit scared they can Benning and let Weisbrod run the show until seasons end. Hopefully if that’s the case ownership doesn’t let him do jack shit.
Not me. They’re a tandem. Both go. Can’t imagine the day to day responsibilities are high for a lame duck interim GM anyway. Let Gear do it.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Sadly your username is tied to Benning support. It’s rent free over here too. When I think of online support all I see is your username and that Benning point a gun avatar.

Rightly or wrongly I’m sure most agree.
100%

Reactions: vanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Apparently both Weisbrod and Benning's Wikipedia pages have been edited to reflect a past tense in regards to their canucks employment.

(I know it doesn't mean anything but let's hope change is coming.)

Not from what I see but someone is throwing salt all over it.

James Elmer Benning[1] (born April 29, 1963) is a Canadian professional ice hockey executive and former player. He serves as the general manager of the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Drafted in the first round, sixth overall, in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he played 610 games over nine seasons for the Maple Leafs and the Canucks, compiling 52 goals and 243 points.[2] He was identified during his playing career as an offensive defenceman. He is also known for his love of trading away second round picks and his friendship with John Weisbrod. [3] Benning is a self-described "super scout" for drafting Jake Virtanen in 2014. His goal when he took over the Canucks was to turn things around quickly. They then proceeded to miss the playoffs four years in a row. Although him and Peter Chiarelli are often given credit for building the 2011 Bruins, this was actually accomplished by Jeff Gorton.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Not me. They’re a tandem. Both go. Can’t imagine the day to day responsibilities are high for a lame duck interim GM anyway. Let Gear do it.

I think Gear is probably the best interim option. You're probably right that whoever the interim GM is they wouldn't have much power. The best case scenario is canucks find someone now who can get ahead of the curve with the trade deadline and plotting for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad