The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Tkachuk over Juolevi will forever drive me insane, and I hate Tkachuk.

Biggest gut punch of Benning's tenure, especially because they announced "from the London Knights".

OJ was a 4th defenceman at best, and everyone knew it. You could see how giddy the Flames brass were...how the f*** do you pass on those numbers when your arch rival is drafting immediately behind you?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

Biggest gut punch of Benning's tenure, especially because they announced "from the London Knights".

OJ was a 4th defenceman at best, and everyone knew it.

my wife was introduced to the irrationally pissed off yelling at the Tv version of me, and then she asks why I look forward to the draft when it brings me so much pain

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Note: almost all of these players are in or near their prime years. I understand losing trades, every team does it but we are outright bleeding assets for guys who get nothing more than a cup of coffee

2nd for Vey (not in NHL)
2nd for Baertschi (not in NHL)
3rd for Pedan (not in NHL)
4th + Pedan(3rd) for Pouliot (not in NHL)
5th for Larsen (not in NHL) Shouldn't even of been in the NHL. Literally almost murdered by T. Hall

Sbisa trade + big contract (not in NHL)
McCann + 2nd +4th for Gudbranson + 5th (barely in the NHL)

Burrows for Dahlen (not in NHL)
Hansen for Goldobin +Palmu + Gunnarson (not in NHL)
Kassian + 5th for Prust (not in NHL)

Free Agents with value walked:

Hamhuis
Richardson
Mathias
Tanev
Markstrom
Toffoli

You can actually create a decent NHL line with those 5 if you could turn back the clock for a few of them.

Mathias Richardson Toffoli

Hamhuis Tanev

Markstrom

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I was listening to a podcast today, Point Shot hockey where they had Patrick Johnson as a guest.

At one point they discussed how in the Grizzlies last days before being sold, ownership cleaned house leaving a very sparse front office.

How many positions have the Canucks front office had empty without hiring replacements? It's definitely a cost saving measure but perhaps there is another reason for it.

Anyway the result of that topic, PJ said that sure they've had callers for the team but they (allegedly) refuse to sell the arena along with it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
All of the media is finally pushing anti-Benning stuff, even some at 650. Leads me to believe the leak is out internally and Benning will be done very soon.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I was listening to a podcast today, Point Shot hockey where they had Patrick Johnson as a guest.

At one point they discussed how in the Grizzlies last days before being sold, ownership cleaned house leaving a very sparse front office.

How many positions have the Canucks front office had empty without hiring replacements? It's definitely a cost saving measure but perhaps there is another reason for it.

Anyway the result of that topic, PJ said that sure they've had callers for the team but they (allegedly) refuse to sell the arena along with it.

it's not about selling, this is just how the aquillinis do business. They're richer than they used to be but they'll always be petty slumlords.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If you just removed the cap problems due to bad (over-valued and/or multi-year) contracts..

If you just removed the iceberg from the bow of the Titanic...

-------------------------------------------

And I'm not getting my hopes up for Benning to finally get canned. I'm waiting for AQ to tweet something stupid about "trusting the process" or "standing behind our man" or something like that. I'll believe Benning's fired when I see it.

Also, ffs, don't hire f***ing Luongo. I want the next guy to actually be an experienced veteran GM who actually knows what he's doing. I've seen enough of this rookies learning on the job shit to last me the rest of my sports fan life.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

OJ was a 4th defenceman at best, and everyone knew it. You could see how giddy the Flames brass were...how the f*** do you pass on those numbers when your arch rival is drafting immediately behind you?
The worst part about it was they were on the same team, so your hopes were up when Benning said 'From the London Knights....' haha

To be fair, OJ was viewed as the safest, highest floor pick at the time, but I preferred MacAvoy and Sergachev for the potential ceiling

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
In Benning’s defence, I was fooled by this, too.

The fact he was constantly on the ice with such elite players played perfectly into his strengths (iq and passing) and the tilted ice prevented his weaknesses from being exposed. He looked like an outlet passing machine in that WJC.
I find the incessant nitpicking of our drafting disgusting.

If someone told me after 6 drafts....you would get Pettersson Hughes Boeser Hoglander Demko Podkolzin Virtanen Gaudette Tryamkin Juolevi........... McCann Lind Woo DiPietro Rathbone Madden to start with i would be over the moon....especially considering we traded away a dozen picks.

Then they would tell me you have Eriksson Spooner Baertschi Myers Roussel Beagle Sutter Edler Benn eating half your cap and oh by the way the league decided to penalize you for Luongo retiring and you have to manage a LTIR of 3.5 for 4yrs and i would be like..
giphy.gif

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I find the incessant nitpicking of our drafting disgusting.

If someone told me after 6 drafts....you would get Pettersson Hughes Boeser Hoglander Demko Podkolzin Virtanen Gaudette Tryamkin Juolevi........... McCann Lind Woo DiPietro Rathbone Madden to start with i would be over the moon....especially considering we traded away a dozen picks.

Then they would tell me you have Eriksson Spooner Baertschi Myers Roussel Beagle Sutter Edler Benn eating half your cap and oh by the way the league decided to penalize you for Luongo retiring and you have to manage a LTIR of 3.5 for 4yrs and i would be like..
giphy.gif
I find the constant praise and excuses for inept management disgusting. You’ve made them for years.

You could slot in about 200 other prospect names and you’d still feel good about it.

Funny part is the list is the same after 7 drafts.

listing Juolevi and Virtanen like they’re special is strange.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I find the constant praise and excuses for inept management disgusting. You’ve made them for years.

You could slot in about 200 other prospect names and you’d still feel good about it.

He presumably listed them because they were prominent 1st rounders relevant to the discussion, not because he believes they are special or were good picks.

Source: blindingly obvious

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah, on the preeminent board of the Canucks, analysing the shitty track record of the incompetent GM is the furthest thing from "nitpicking".

And we get trolled and spammed for over a half decade of defending the indefensible with the most bizarre and contradictory fallacies, shilling blowing sunshine up our asses, and that is fine?

It's like opposite world.

And I love it. 'cause I''m . . . I'm . . . well, I'm me.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He presumably listed them because they were prominent 1st rounders relevant to the discussion, not because he believes they are special or were good picks.

Source: blindingly obvious
He listed a bunch of random names he was over the moon about. Pretty silly list imo.

disagree with your interpretation. He listed guys who make him over the moon.

Probably pained him not to be able to list Markus G.

it’s incredible to me you continually make such poor assumptions.

Reactions: Peter10

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He listed a bunch of random names he was over the moon about. Pretty silly list imo.

disagree with your interpretation. He listed guys who make him over the moon.

Probably pained him not to be able to list Markus G.

it’s incredible to me you continually make such poor assumptions.
I think you’re probably well aware he isn’t putting those two players forth as good picks and are deliberately mischaracterizing what he said. I’m not going to look, but I imagine sting101, like all of us, is on record that those picks have turned out poorly.

Reactions: sting101

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Note: almost all of these players are in or near their prime years. I understand losing trades, every team does it but we are outright bleeding assets for guys who get nothing more than a cup of coffee

2nd for Vey (not in NHL)
2nd for Baertschi (not in NHL)
3rd for Pedan (not in NHL)
4th + Pedan(3rd) for Pouliot (not in NHL)
5th for Larsen (not in NHL) Shouldn't even of been in the NHL. Literally almost murdered by T. Hall

Sbisa trade + big contract (not in NHL)
McCann + 2nd +4th for Gudbranson + 5th (barely in the NHL)

Burrows for Dahlen (not in NHL)
Hansen for Goldobin +Palmu + Gunnarson (not in NHL)
Kassian + 5th for Prust (not in NHL)

If you want to look at the ledger from assets in vs assets out, this is what Jim Benning has accomplished via trade during his "rebuild":

Jared McCann
Nick Bonino
Luca Sbisa
Alex Burrows
Jannik Hansen
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
Zack Kassian
Gustav Forsling
Hunter Shinkaruk

became

Tanner Pearson
Sven Baertschi
Brandon Sutter
Petrus Palmu

Brutal. And after this season, it might just be Palmu!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think you’re probably well aware he isn’t putting those two players forth as good picks and are deliberately mischaracterizing what he said. I’m not going to look, but I imagine sting101, like all of us, is on record that those picks have turned out poorly.
“If you told me after 6 drafts we’d have *insert list of names* I’d be over the moon”.

Yeah don’t go look. Wouldn’t want that lol.

“If someone told me after 6 drafts....you would get Pettersson Hughes Boeser Hoglander Demko Podkolzin Virtanen Gaudette Tryamkin Juolevi........... McCann Lind Woo DiPietro Rathbone Madden to start with i would be over the moon....especially considering we traded away a dozen picks”

you mind not read the response since you’re above responding to me. Not above jumping in and erroneously mis representing someone else’s position.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
How can so many people try and sell Jim Benning as a savant that built this 'great young team' but at the same time he is apparently a spineless puppet? All the good is his. None of the bad is his fault but actually ownership forcing him to make deals.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
The worst part about it was they were on the same team, so your hopes were up when Benning said 'From the London Knights....' haha

To be fair, OJ was viewed as the safest, highest floor pick at the time, but I preferred MacAvoy and Sergachev for the potential ceiling

That's funny, I remember going through the same but opposite when we drafted Horvat. "From the London Knights..." "OH SHIT NOT DOMI!"

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Say what you want about Linden, by the end he had it figured out. ‘People who don’t see guys enough are dangerous’.

This might sound like a bizarre thing to say, but as terrible a hiring as 2014 Linden was as President, 2021 Linden probably wouldn’t be.

If Linden got his way in 2018 Canucks would be entering their contending window this season.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If Linden got his way in 2018 Canucks would be entering their contending window this season.

Easily. 2018 Linden would never have signed Beagle, Roussel, Ferland or Myers, and might have been smart enough to hold the line on a 1st round pick for Miller. Or even if he didn't, they would have gone into this season with a TON of cap space - probably in a position to do something similar to what Montreal did. Plausibly could have added Pietrangelo, Hall, Toffoli while keeping Markstrom, Stecher, on Tanev. Plus maybe a few more prospects by weaponizing cap space/keeping picks over the last two seasons.

Last edited:

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

During the 2016 memorial cup, recall Tkachuk having a bigger impact than Juolevi as he also scored the cup winning goal that year. He was belligerent and an effective force who scored the most goals for the Knights during those playoffs.

What also concerned me at the time was that Mete was getting just as much deployment and being leaned on as much if not more than Juolevi if I remember correctly which also gave me a bit of pause?

However I did have Olli ahead of both Sergachev and Chychrun at the time but yeah Tkachuk was the clear favorite at #5. Also had Keller ahead of Juolevi but still had him in the top 10.

Still believe Benning had the postion (role of power winger) covered with the drafting of Jake the year prior which steered him away from Tkachuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad