The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Not from what I see but someone is throwing salt all over it.

James Elmer Benning[1] (born April 29, 1963) is a Canadian professional ice hockey executive and former player. He serves as the general manager of the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Drafted in the first round, sixth overall, in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he played 610 games over nine seasons for the Maple Leafs and the Canucks, compiling 52 goals and 243 points.[2] He was identified during his playing career as an offensive defenceman. He is also known for his love of trading away second round picks and his friendship with John Weisbrod. [3] Benning is a self-described "super scout" for drafting Jake Virtanen in 2014. His goal when he took over the Canucks was to turn things around quickly. They then proceeded to miss the playoffs four years in a row. Although him and Peter Chiarelli are often given credit for building the 2011 Bruins, this was actually accomplished by Jeff Gorton.
Sadly the wiki gestapo will be around sooner than later

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Why the heck hasn't he bailed on Jake then. God knows how many bad games

Somethingsomething meat and potatoes somethingsomething rip the puck real good.

EDIT: More honestly, it's likely that he got a bad first impression of Mangiapane and Madden and had a good one with Virtanen.

First impressions are hard to shake and if he was wowed by Virtanen bullying players who weren't as physically mature as him, it's going to be hard to shake that preconception.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hextall to Pittsburgh is a win win, either he realizes burkes a dinosaur and long pants is stupid as hell and then quits.

Or he agrees with burke and we dont want him anyway.

Leaving the door open for aqua to realize his grievous errors and rehire Gillis

Reactions: Mr4legs and vanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The sentence right after it, though...

Is this implying that our exalted ~*~ talent whisperer ~*~ bailed on Madden because he had a bad game?

For the life of me I can't find it, whether online, twitter etc. But I do remember hearing whispers that a big contingent of the Canucks front office went to the 2020 Bean pot and some came away less than impressed with Madden's play. (He did score a goal that game.)

Of course I can't find anything to back it up, so discount this as rumor, hearsay, what have you.

Reactions: timw33 and lindgren

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Honestly, an Aqua mea culpa and Gillis return is the only thing that could get me back in the fold as an actual fan of this team. Basically any other realistic GM option is going to be tainted with the Aquillini stink. He's not hiring Eric Tulsky; he doesn't know who Eric Tulsky is. He's hiring a guy he's seen on TV.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Honestly, an Aqua mea culpa and Gillis return is the only thing that could get me back in the fold as an actual fan of this team. Basically any other realistic GM option is going to be tainted with the Aquillini stink. He's not hiring Eric Tulsky; he doesn't know who Eric Tulsky is. He's hiring a guy he's seen on TV.
I wish I could appeal to the sizable egos of both frankie blueberries and mike gillis, and convince them of the ultimate revenge they could achieve. Like can you imagine if they kissed and made up and actually were successful in delivering a cup to this market? After all the delight over their act one collapse? All the gleeful gravedancing? All the shit we as canucks fans still see on this website? Like you know people would turn their tvs off before being subjected to seeing the canucks presented the cup. :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

If Gillis is coming back, he’s coming in with an OBC member.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
How many picks must a guru trade?
Before you are not a fan?
How many scrubs can a man overpay?
Until the shill press disbands?
Yes and how many years of incompetence pass?
Before they're forever canned?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind
The answer in blowin' in the wind
How many years must John Weisbrod exist?
Before what he does can be seen?
How many years can an owner exist?
Before Meddling from we are free?
Yes and how many times can a fan turn his head?
His drafting is good just wait and see?
The answer is blowin' in the wind

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
aqua needs to look at the bigger picture. he shouldnt be frustrated at the losing streak he should be frustrated that canucks are destined to be mediocre with this management

Reactions: Jyrki21

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How many picks must a guru trade?
Before you are not a fan?
How many scrubs can a man overpay?
Until the shill press disbands?
Yes and how many years of incompetence pass?
Before they're forever canned?
The answer in blowin' in the wind
How many years must John Weisbrod exist?
Before what he does can be seen?
How many years can an owner exist?
Before Meddling from we are free?
Yes and how many times can a fan turn his head?
His drafting is good just wait and see?
The answer is blowin' in the wind

Wait and see, wait and see
Hear the words of PoM

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Sadly your username is tied to Benning support. It’s rent free over here too. When I think of online support all I see is your username and that Benning point a gun avatar.

Rightly or wrongly I’m sure most agree.
The avatars a good start, but posting a pic of Benning hoisting the Cup took the cake.

Reactions: I am toxic

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Note: almost all of these players are in or near their prime years. I understand losing trades, every team does it but we are outright bleeding assets for guys who get nothing more than a cup of coffee

2nd for Vey (not in NHL)
2nd for Baertschi (not in NHL)
3rd for Pedan (not in NHL)
4th + Pedan(3rd) for Pouliot (not in NHL)
5th for Larsen (not in NHL) Shouldn't even of been in the NHL. Literally almost murdered by T. Hall

Sbisa trade + big contract (not in NHL)
McCann + 2nd +4th for Gudbranson + 5th (barely in the NHL)

Burrows for Dahlen (not in NHL)
Hansen for Goldobin +Palmu + Gunnarson (not in NHL)
Kassian + 5th for Prust (not in NHL)

Free Agents with value walked:

Hamhuis
Richardson
Mathias
Tanev
Markstrom
Toffoli

You can actually create a decent NHL line with those 5 if you could turn back the clock for a few of them.

Mathias Richardson Toffoli

Hamhuis Tanev

Markstrom
Simply put, Benning could have foregone any FA signing or trade he's made the past 7 years, and this team would have been way better off.

It's amazing when you think about it...

I touched on this just over a week over but if Benning had simply avoided making any big splashes from the moment right after the Kesler trade to summer of 2019, he'd eventually have ended up with a team ready to contend:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Toffoli - Horvat - Gaudette
Virtanen - Bonino - Kassian
Hoglander - McCann - Leivo

_____ - Schmidt
Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

Assuming everyone is retained at their current cap hits the above roster still has about 12 million in cap space to add a top-pairing D.

This is a team that with Horvat, Bonino and McCann as the #2/3/4 centres can roll 4 lines without the bottom 6 being an anchor. Pretty strong 2nd and 3rd D-pairs, and to top it off... an elite No. 1 goalie. Overall just a strong 5v5 team with the defence and goaltending to back it up.

Pretty sad how, with a few years of patience, everyone would've had the team they were waiting for all along. This doesn't even factor in the extra picks we would've saved and used in the draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I touched on this just over a week over but if Benning had simply avoided making any big splashes from the moment right after the Kesler trade to summer of 2019, he'd eventually have ended up with a team ready to contend:

Assuming everyone is retained at their current cap hits the above roster still has about 12 million in cap space to add a top-pairing D.

This is a team that with Horvat, Bonino and McCann as the #2/3/4 centres can roll 4 lines without the bottom 6 being an anchor. Pretty strong 2nd and 3rd D-pairs, and to top it off... an elite No. 1 goalie. Overall just a strong 5v5 team with the defence and goaltending to back it up.

Pretty sad how, with a few years of patience, everyone would've had the team they were waiting for all along. This doesn't even factor in the extra picks we would've saved and used in the draft.
The way you point it out literally a potato (with Bracket leading the draft for Mr. Potato) would have been better than Benning. Jethro/Jethrine are worse than a friggin’ potato.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Jesus Christ that hurts.
tenor.gif

Reactions: I am toxic

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gillis would be amazing! It would restore a lot of confidence that the team will be well run and the death of over paid players that hurt us. But could the owners swallow their pride to bring him back?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gillis would be amazing! It would restore a lot of confidence that the team will be well run and the death of over paid players that hurt us. But could the owners swallow their pride to bring him back?
Aquilini like hand puppets. Gillis got fired for telling Aquaman to remove his hand. I’d like to see Gillis back, but seriously doubt he’d agree to having a proctologist for an owner again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wish I could appeal to the sizable egos of both frankie blueberries and mike gillis, and convince them of the ultimate revenge they could achieve. Like can you imagine if they kissed and made up and actually were successful in delivering a cup to this market? After all the delight over their act one collapse? All the gleeful gravedancing? All the shit we as canucks fans still see on this website? Like you know people would turn their tvs off before being subjected to seeing the canucks presented the cup. :laugh:

I am rollin’ with Frankie Blueberries as a name until Benning is replaced by someone competent. As should everyone else.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The last thing we need is a win against Calgary

Wow, best news I've heard in the last few weeks.

There's been a lot of smoke around this lately which usually hints at there being a fire, but to hear it confirmed this way is a nice change for once. Come on Frankie, just pull the ****ing trigger already... still wary of getting my hopes up though. :laugh:

On that note, it's imperative that we keep losing out until Benning's fired. I mean, by now it should be clear to everyone - even the mods here on HF! - that management needs to be changed for this team to have any hope of success, and unfortunately losing is the only way to achieve this.

So when do we get a tank thread again...?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wow, best news I've heard in the last few weeks.

There's been a lot of smoke around this lately which usually hints at there being a fire, but to hear it confirmed this way is a nice change for once. Come on Frankie, just pull the ****ing trigger already... still wary of getting my hopes up though. :laugh:

On that note, it's imperative that we keep losing out until Benning's fired. I mean, by now it should be clear to everyone - even the mods here on HF! - that management needs to be changed for this team to have any hope of success, and unfortunately losing is the only way to achieve this.

So when do we get a tank thread again...?
Damn. When games are active I can’t help cheering for us to win. But damn if losing gets Jethro/Jethrine out the door I might be able to hook my horse to that wagon. Seriously though, should us winning or losing the next game (or games) have anything to do with firing Jethro/Jethrine and hiring competent management? Aquilini should make changes and hire competent people because we clearly need to, regardless of the next few games results.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad