The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last thread was over 1,000 posts. Continue here.

There is no thread of HFBoards where users are allowed to editorialize on the validity of other peoples’ perspectives or opinions. Debate topics with people, but the non-stop criticism of “Benning haters” or “Benning fans” or “toxic fandom” or “cultural rot" needs to end, and it needs to end now.

There’s culprits on both sides of this issue. Knock it off, or some of you will be taking vacations from the site.

Addendum: Spamming is against the rules, too. Posts comprised of one or two words (eg - #FireBenning), or simply images/gifs are a violation of the Site Rules. So let's avoid that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Looks like we’re approaching the finish line of the Benning tenure. A ridiculous SEVEN f***ing years later. We have wasted the cheap years of EP and QH, we’re stuck with a lot of bad contracts, no cap space next year once we re-sign EP, QH and Demko, and have very little coming up the pipeline.

But at least we’re finally almost done with a grossly incompetent GM. Let’s pray the next one will be better.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
am proud to say i posted in the final(?) benning/weisbrod thread ever.

conclusion: there isn’t a model on how to build a roster

the balance is difference for every team

prioritize good players before trying to pigeonhole the right fit

watching teams (in multiple sports) constantly shuffle (even though burke hasn't "shuffled" per se) on this whole identity thing will never not be hilarious.

Reactions: I am toxic

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Looks like we’re approaching the finish line of the Benning tenure. A ridiculous SEVEN f***ing years later. We have wasted the cheap years of EP and QH, we’re stuck with a lot of bad contracts, no cap space next year once we re-sign EP, QH and Demko, and have very little coming up the pipeline.

But at least we’re finally almost done with a grossly incompetent GM. Let’s pray the next one will be better.
how do you know Benning is getting fired soon?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gotta get some OBC creds, we had it good with Quinn, Burke, Crawford, AV.

Yep. Unfortunately in this league you do need some OBC guys in the office, so the other OBC guys do you some favours.

Which is why I am all for the Tulsky/Gilman shadow GM plan, with some OBC figurehead.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I doubt the Canucks land Tulsky or McFarland.

I certainly think they could get Tulsky. Offer him a full GM position - something he doesn't have in Carolina. The word is Dundon in Carolina is cheaping out on his front office too. Just give Tulsky a lucrative offer.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yep. Unfortunately in this league you do need some OBC guys in the office, so the other OBC guys do you some favours.

Which is why I am all for the Tulsky/Gilman shadow GM plan, with some OBC figurehead.

What’s Dean Lombardi up to these days?
Also, with Luongo being groomed for management I’m on board for him to join Vancouver.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

DAjG5c.gif

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I certainly think they could get Tulsky. Offer him a full GM position - something he doesn't have in Carolina. The word is Dundon in Carolina is cheaping out on his front office too. Just give Tulsky a lucrative offer.

That would be sweet but I’m not holding my breath, I feel like ownership is going to hire a former GM instead of a first time GM this time around, we’ll see though

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Last thread was over 1,000 posts. Continue here.

There is no thread of HFBoards where users are allowed to editorialize on the validity of other peoples’ perspectives or opinions. Debate topics with people, but the non-stop criticism of “Benning haters” or “Benning fans” or “toxic fandom” or “cultural rot" needs to end, and it needs to end now.

There’s culprits on both sides of this issue. Knock it off, or some of you will be taking vacations from the site.

Addendum: Spamming is against the rules, too. Posts comprised of one or two words (eg - #FireBenning), or simply images/gifs are a violation of the Site Rules. So let's avoid that.
Are we still allowed to shit post #FireBenning in the GDT?

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver

"The pandemic has altered the ability for us to make the moves we thought necessary, and as a result the on ice product suffered. We know this team is capable of making the playoffs, and we trust in Jim to steer this team to more success as things go back to normal. It was a weird season, so we can't make any snap decisions regarding personnel just yet, and want to give our management team the fair shot we know they can operate in. "

We all know its f***ing coming, I'm just hoping this lessens the blow for when it does in the off-season. 7 years of garbage culminating in this shithole of a season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That would be sweet but I’m not holding my breath, I feel like ownership is going to hire a former GM instead of a first time GM this time around, we’ll see though

If I were Aqua, I'd be looking at the Benning era of OBC hockey ops and be inclined to do the exact opposite next go around.

Of course, he won't do this, but we can dream.

What’s Dean Lombardi up to these days?
Also, with Luongo being groomed for management I’m on board for him to join Vancouver.

Yah I think Lombardi would be a good OBC figurehead, with people like Tuslky/Gilman actually running the team. I'm not sure if he's even interested in working in hockey again though, haven't heard much of him lately.

Luongo I'd say no to. We've gone the "formerly decorated player" route before, and I think the only result is disappointment. Not sure Lou is going to want to leave Florida again either.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yah I think Lombardi would be a good OBC figurehead, with people like Tuslky/Gilman actually running the team. I'm not sure if he's even interested in working in hockey again though, haven't heard much of him lately.

Luongo I'd say no to. We've gone the "formerly decorated player" route before, and I think the only result is disappointment. Not sure Lou is going to want to leave Florida again either.

Well never say never in the NHL, plus Luongo isn’t playing anymore so he won’t be critiqued by his on ice play. Opportunity knocks of a Luongo wants to be in NHL management.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m so glad someone did this; the only things I’d bet on them all having in common is they were healthy in the playoffs and 2 among the better 5on5 teams

OK i decided to look into this and here it is:

as expected you need to be elite in 5 on 5 play to win (dallas last year really throws the numbers for goals for out of sync). most importantly knowing how to play defence at 5on5 matters which we clearly can't do.

you generally need to be a top 10 team in 5on5 goals for and against to have a chance.

yeareastRANKwestRANKaverage
5 ON 5 GOALS FOR
2020TBL2DAL301610.875
2019STL13BOS1916
2018WSH6VGK55.5
2017PIT2NSH106
2016PITNOT AVALIABLESJSNOT AVALIABLE
5 ON 5 GOALS AGAINST
2020TBL6DAL248.625
2019STL5BOS13
2018WSH13VGK1413.5
2017PIT17NSH1114
2016PITNOT AVALIABLESJSNOT AVALIABLE
FACE OFFS
2020TBL11DAL58
2019STL6BOS108
2018WSH13VGK2217.5
2017PIT28NSH818
2016PIT15SJS711
AVERAGE:12.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

i threw in face-offs cause i still think the defence of the beagle signing is stupid cause as you see its pretty close to middle of the pack for teams that win the cup and their face-off ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad