The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Since the Canucks have a 5% of making the playoffs. If the Canucks lose the next one can we have a tank thread?

I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised in next GDT if the team looks like it doesn't have any gas left in the . . . tank.

aiF9Lhe.gif

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
If I were Aqua, I'd be looking at the Benning era of OBC hockey ops and be inclined to do the exact opposite next go around.

Of course, he won't do this, but we can dream.

Yah I think Lombardi would be a good OBC figurehead, with people like Tuslky/Gilman actually running the team. I'm not sure if he's even interested in working in hockey again though, haven't heard much of him lately.

Luongo I'd say no to. We've gone the "formerly decorated player" route before, and I think the only result is disappointment. Not sure Lou is going to want to leave Florida again either.
And then have him deal with the cap hit that Luongo guy left on the Canucks making it even more difficult to move forward!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Mangiapane was on the Canucks’ radar in 2015 until Benning saw him in a junior game. Mangiapane had a bad game."

The Canucks Skate: A holding pattern | The Province

You just gotta laugh at these little tidbits.

Jim Benning is the ultimate small sample size scout.

Say what you want about Linden, by the end he had it figured out. ‘People who don’t see guys enough are dangerous’.

This might sound like a bizarre thing to say, but as terrible a hiring as 2014 Linden was as President, 2021 Linden probably wouldn’t be.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
*watching Aho Laine Puljujarvi absolutely dominate the tournament*

"damn this juolevi is something else"

In Benning’s defence, I was fooled by this, too.

The fact he was constantly on the ice with such elite players played perfectly into his strengths (iq and passing) and the tilted ice prevented his weaknesses from being exposed. He looked like an outlet passing machine in that WJC.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

The fact he was constantly on the ice with such elite players played perfectly into his strengths (iq and passing) and the tilted ice prevented his weaknesses from being exposed. He looked like an outlet passing machine in that WJC.

i can see where this is coming from but a huge red flag is that he was never the best player or top 3 on the ice even when with the knights and running behind tkachuk-marner-Dvorak

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Since the Canucks have a 5% of making the playoffs. If the Canucks lose the next one can we have a tank thread?

I think there's a chance we're at zero by Wednesday if we lose each CGY game (which is costing us about 1% per loss due to CGY being a direct competitor for the last playoff spot) and out of town score effects (EDM/WPG wins).

So I don't see why not, the nihilism will set in and there will be nothing worth cheering for other than moving players for picks and evaluating guys like Rathbone/Macewan/Michaelis/etc, and having a new GM evaluate the team before a critical offseason.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Say what you want about Linden, by the end he had it figured out. ‘People who don’t see guys enough are dangerous’.

This might sound like a bizarre thing to say, but as terrible a hiring as 2014 Linden was as President, 2021 Linden probably wouldn’t be.

You could see from his quoted statements in 2014 to 2016 that Linden was as arrogant and ignorant as Weisbrod and Benning.

But unlike them, I believe he has more character. By 2017, he had set aside his arrogance, and begun to address his ignorance - he began approaching others around the league to get an outsider view on wtf was wrong with the Canucks org/approach/(lack of)planning/(lack of)strategy.

Moves were made in line with that, that began to unwind the shitshow of those first few Linden/Weisbrod/Benning years.

And then Linden is gone, and the Weisbrod/Benning shitshow hits the gas pedal.

I believe that if Linden stays in 2018 and boots the Weisbrod/Benning shitshow, we may have had cap space this past year to take advantage of the situation that unfolded, and be in a position to contend while Petey and Hughes were RFA, alongside Marky and Tanev and Stecher.

But that ship sailed in 2018, full steam ahead into a cliff, then burst into flames and exploded, hurling the charred hulk back to sink into the murky depths of the bottomless ocean, never hitting bottom as a leviathan swallows it whole, only to spit out the shattered remains to be gnawed upon by plankton.

John Weisbrod and Jim Benning.

The Lost Years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are in a dangerous place right now....and the only guy who can step up and clarify the situation is the owner.

If he intends to clean house at the end of the season, then he has to take the controls away from Benning when it comes to trades and player personnel decisions. Maybe that's happen already, but who knows?

And if the Canucks are 'done as a playoff team' by the middle of March and the coach is still hanging in there, then somebody has to order him to start playing the kids; while guys like Beagle, Roussel, Benn and maybe even Sutter get shifted to the taxi squad. Can you see Green ever doing that?

If the Canucks use this season for proper evaluation and player development, then it might not be a total waste of a year. But right now, all we see is mass confusion.

Reactions: Luckylarry

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The playoff line in the North is projected to be about 64 points.

We have 12 points in 17 games. There are 39 games left (pending schedule being shortened/reconfigured) and 78 points up for grabs.

To get to 64 we'd need 52 of those 78 points, or a 0.666 Pts %. Last year only the Bruins and Blues played at or above that level.

Not looking good, folks.

Reactions: vanuck

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
"Mangiapane was on the Canucks’ radar in 2015 until Benning saw him in a junior game. Mangiapane had a bad game."

The Canucks Skate: A holding pattern | The Province

You just gotta laugh at these little tidbits.
Really hate Benning... I really liked Mangiapane and like to toot my own horn so here in 2014 before he was passed over, later drafted in 2015:

For those who like Spencer Watson, i bring you Andrew Mangiapane. Skill level is similar, size is similar, except i'd even say Mangiapane's all around game is better. Yet we still see Watson continually ranked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, Mangiapane is either unranked or picked in the 6-7th. I don't think such a discrepancy is warranted. Value would be good in the late rounds.

I think Mangiapane is a much harder worker with and without the puck, always moving and attacking the puck, compared to waiting in the weeds like Watson. Not afraid to throw his slight frame around either. I think Mangiapane has good potential, has worked for everything he's gotten so far, he still looks like a little boy and is still growing. I will not be surprised if he has a big year next season statistically since Barrie will have a prime top6 spot available as Athanasiou is moving on.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I hated the pick. Vanilla Jack of all trades master of none on elite teams.

You can’t draft that type of player even if it’s Lidstrom lite after that season 15/16 season.

Tkachuk was always the no brainer.

But I thought Juolevi was more of a late 1st type like Fabbro.

Big defensman who can skate and produce and skilled large forwards are much more difficult pieces to find imo.

Chychrun or Tkachuk were no brainers to me and McAvoy’s thicker build coupled with his skating should’ve also been highly ranked.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks are in a dangerous place right now....and the only guy who can step up and clarify the situation is the owner.

If he intends to clean house at the end of the season, then he has to take the controls away from Benning when it comes to trades and player personnel decisions. Maybe that's happen already, but who knows?

And if the Canucks are 'done as a playoff team' by the middle of March and the coach is still hanging in there, then somebody has to order him to start playing the kids; while guys like Beagle, Roussel, Benn and maybe even Sutter get shifted to the taxi squad. Can you see Green ever doing that?

If the Canucks use this season for proper evaluation and player development, then it might not be a total waste of a year. But right now, all we see is mass confusion.
IMO our playoffs are done already. These evaluations you suggest need to be done now. A new GM (a competent one, of course) could start the process ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad