The Management Thread | The Wheel Keeps Turning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's fascinating after almost unanimously bombing every contract for 30yr olds with 4yrs or more on them in this organization that people would complain that Benning didn't finally walk down that path.

And i get the easy comeback of "well if we didn't have Eriksson Myers etc blah blah blah" but why would it still be a good thing to do when were not that close to being a contender....Im not sure i follow that logic?

It’s almost like Jacob Markstrom is an elite player of a completely different quality than the dreck Jim Benning gave long-term contracts to.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
530AEF3C-2039-44EF-8A24-47B5974F55F2.jpeg

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
And i get the easy comeback of "well if we didn't have Eriksson Myers etc blah blah blah" but why would it still be a good thing to do when were not that close to being a contender....Im not sure i follow that logic?

side note. What was your position on the toffoli trade giving up a second and top prospect last year since we weren’t contenders?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This campaign is going to hard on the psyche of Canucks fans--at least those who are still invested in this team.

But if by the end of the season, the owner has cleaned house; Podkolzin is signed and in the lineup; and the Canucks actually move up in the draft lottery; and finally the cleanout of poor veteran contracts is underway this summer....then this season will be 'a success' as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes you just have to take the 30,000 foot view and a write-off season is part of the price you have to pay.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
side note. What was your position on the toffoli trade giving up a second and top prospect last year since we weren’t contenders?
didn't like it....but once it was done liked the idea of him playing for us

you

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This campaign is going to hard on the psyche of Canucks fans--at least those who are still invested in this team.

But if by the end of the season, the owner has cleaned house; Podkolzin is signed and in the lineup; and the Canucks actually move up in the draft lottery; and finally the cleanout of poor veteran contracts is underway this summer....then this season will be 'a success' as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes you just have to take the 30,000 foot view and a write-off season is part of the price you have to pay.
It's been over a half decade of write-off seasons.

But please, put as much lipstick on this pig as you like.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I just did quick math and my math could be wrong but if the teams ahead of us played just .500 hockey we would need to pant over .850 to make the playoffs.

that’s crazy

If the teams above them go .500, they will need 47 points to make the playoffs. That's about 99 point pace. We will have to be a 100+ point team to make the playoffs.

Reactions: mossey3535

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

That’s the only way this season is a success.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, if ownership moves on from Benning, there's the potential for a new manager to step in and quickly improve the team.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The good news is, if the Canucks continue down this path this year, and get a top 5 draft pick, they will be absolutely stacked with young talent. They would obviously pick one of the d men available, so here's what the Canucks could be looking at next year...

Pettersson
Hoglander
Boeser
Horvat (semi young)
Podkolzin
Hughes
Powers/Clarke/Hughes

And you've JT Miller who is still only 27 and under a good contract. At this point you have enough forward depth that you can trade from strength, which would be right wing. Boeser could fetch a legit top 4 (or maybe better?) d man. And we are shedding a lot of salary next year and the year after.

It looks horrible right now, but the Canucks are in a position to become an elite team in the near term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad