The Management Thread | The Wheel Keeps Turning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That ship has sailed.

Our prospect pool consists of . . . Podz.

Our team is Ottawa bad.

Myers is here for how many more seasons?

Edler is how old?

Schmidt is entering his 30's?

This isn't some 110 point team, with a prospect pool consisting of a future Vezina level goalie, a future Captain/Elite 2C, a future NHL D, a 6th OA pick, Tanman entering into his prime, like Gillis left us in 2014.

That ship has sailed, drove up onto shore, caught fire and exploded, hurtling it back into the ocean sinking to the murky depths below.

The Lost Years.
You risk driving 40 and 43 away if you plan on rebuilding.

A quick sell off at the deadline plus some wise free acquisitions and salary dumps for the following season are a must.

You have to show the meal tickets that signing their lives away to be here gets them more than just money but gets them their professional goals as well.

I know we have deep scars from Benning but I think they should absolutely be attempting to be a playoff team next year. If it continues to fail. That’s when you make the Miller/Horvat moves.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Did anyone else hear that Friedman interview? I feel like that Taj dude sometimes paraphrases things in such a way that makes them sound juicier than they are.

It just sounds too good to be true lol

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The good news is, if the Canucks continue down this path this year, and get a top 5 draft pick, they will be absolutely stacked with young talent. They would obviously pick one of the d men available, so here's what the Canucks could be looking at next year...

Pettersson
Hoglander
Boeser
Horvat (semi young)
Podkolzin
Hughes
Powers/Clarke/Hughes

And you've JT Miller who is still only 27 and under a good contract. At this point you have enough forward depth that you can trade from strength, which would be right wing. Boeser could fetch a legit top 4 (or maybe better?) d man. And we are shedding a lot of salary next year and the year after.

It looks horrible right now, but the Canucks are in a position to become an elite team in the near term.

It's 2021, not 2014.

Our goaltending is sub .900.

3 of our "top4D" are going to be in their 30's. One of them is essentially done, another is no longer a top4D, is getting worse each season, and is taking up $6m per for the next 3xseasons after this.

There is no becoming a contending team in the near term, let alone an elite team.

But you should apply for Canuck's PR position, you've got some great material they could use.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

A quick sell off at the deadline plus some wise free acquisitions and salary dumps for the following season are a must.

You have to show the meal tickets that signing their lives away to be here gets them more than just money but gets them their professional goals as well.

I know we have deep scars from Benning but I think they should absolutely be attempting to be a playoff team next year. If it continues to fail. That’s when you make the Miller/Horvat moves.
Who dares, wins.

Fully agree with the rest of your post. While
doing it, we should always be acquiring picks when possible, instead of pissing them away like was done during . . .

. . . The Lost Years

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The good news is, if the Canucks continue down this path this year, and get a top 5 draft pick, they will be absolutely stacked with young talent. They would obviously pick one of the d men available, so here's what the Canucks could be looking at next year...

Pettersson
Hoglander
Boeser
Horvat (semi young)
Podkolzin
Hughes
Powers/Clarke/Hughes

And you've JT Miller who is still only 27 and under a good contract. At this point you have enough forward depth that you can trade from strength, which would be right wing. Boeser could fetch a legit top 4 (or maybe better?) d man. And we are shedding a lot of salary next year and the year after.

It looks horrible right now, but the Canucks are in a position to become an elite team in the near term.
Now do every other team.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

With the way the canucks cap and defence is structured I can’t see this team being truly competitive until 2023 or 2024. Hard decisions are going to have to be made.

I just don’t see a quick retool here. This will take 2-3 years to dig out of, and that’s if a new GM comes in and makes all the right moves.

if a new, competent GM were to be brought in I would be up for exploring trades surrounding Horvat and Miller. It really hurts to even think about trading Horvat but it’s probably the right move given where we are at.

Reactions: I am toxic

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It’s still a total waste if they wait until the end to clean house, though. The owner has a totally unique opportunity in that he doesn’t need to sell tickets this year. This has literally never happened before! There has been no better time to get to work on liquidating assets and positioning the team for the future. If they go through the motions of trying to compete for another three months instead of trying to clean up this giant mess, they’re doing a disservice to themselves let alone us.

I can’t fathom why “waiting until the offseason” makes any sense and why Aquilini seems so dead-set on it. Let an interim guy take the first steps of what needs to be done, who cares. Just why waste away the rest of the season pretending all is normal?

it also is a total waste of our young players’ development to let them languish in the press box and taxi squad.

send them down or rotate them into the lineup.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
This team is a lot different than that team, and certainly is not in need of a rebuild. This team literally has its entire core in their prime, and support pieces should be cheap due to ongoing flat cap.
Have you taken a look at the defence?

Reactions: Peter10

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
With the way the canucks cap and defence is structured I can’t see this team being truly competitive until 2023. Hard decisions are going to have to be made.

I just don’t see a quick retool here. This will take 2-3 years to dig out of, and that’s if a new GM comes in and makes all the right moves.

if a new, competent GM were to be brought in I would be up for exploring trades surrounding Horvat and Miller. It really hurts to even think about trading Horvat but it’s probably the right move given where we are at.
Like I said. 43 and 40 are likely in Dubois land if you tank the group further.

Next season playoff competitor (if back to the pacific you have to beat LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Seattle, and Edmonton to get in).

You can wait to explore trading 2 out of the only 4 top 6 forwards on the team.

Tanking is done. They got the building blocks. Build.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

Next season playoff competitor (if back to the pacific you have to beat LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Seattle, and Edmonton to get in).

But have you taken a look at the defence ?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

They need to tank this season out...they aren't going anywhere this year. Weed out some of the dead weight, see what you have in some prospects and build for a playoff run next season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If “change is coming” who is the next Aquilini hand puppet?

I still think Aquilini gives his new guys autonomy. It’s when he feels the goals aren’t being met that he starts playing GM. He jumped in far to early on Gillis (IMO) and far, far, far too late with Benning (I think it started when Linden was removed).

Reactions: Luckylarry

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Your fear of losing 40/43 is completely sound and makes sense. But unfortunately for them they are here for a bit. Horvat/Miller are the bigger worries.
When you look at our team we legit have to rebuild the entire bottom 6 and we need a #1/4/6 defensemen to help our team and that’s if I give you that demko is a top tier starter next year. I think demko eventually will be a good starter but next year might be too soon.
To assemble half a roster without any cap space to move around is crazy. The only option is to trade away draft picks and prospect which raises a bigger worry.
If we screw up trading away picks and prospects to clear cap or the price is high to move cap we could be looking at another 5 years before we can pull ourselves out of the mess which would for sure mean that 40/43 are gone.
It’s a terrible situation to be in but we need to make methodical moves so we aren’t stretching out this cleanup for another decade

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yes, a sliver of hope:

"The Fan Morning Show @FanMorningShow
Some foreshadowing here? Brian Burke with us: "Pittsburgh's the last team to win with a small, fast team. The last 3 Cup winners have been big, they play long pants hockey, they play ugly hockey. I think we need to look at that & see, have we kept up with the joneses here?"

Anyone big on the Nucks they can barter for skilled player or picks?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I just want to say that I appreciate the honest debate between @Dab and @420Canuck .

As opposed to debating the shillingers who use nothing but fallacies and falsehoods, whether it's lies like "Gillis left the cupboards bare" or crap like "cap space doesn't matter".

Well, I appreciate the lies and crap too, because I'm . . . I'm . . . you know . . .

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Have you taken a look at the defence?

I don't think they're cup contenders in a year, but a good offseason should comfortably get them into playoffs next year, and a it will only take a few astute loves to push them up to contender status, assuming Demko shows himself to be a legit starter.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yes, a sliver of hope:

"The Fan Morning Show @FanMorningShow
Some foreshadowing here? Brian Burke with us: "Pittsburgh's the last team to win with a small, fast team. The last 3 Cup winners have been big, they play long pants hockey, they play ugly hockey. I think we need to look at that & see, have we kept up with the joneses here?"

Anyone big on the Nucks they can barter for skilled player or picks?
Only the Canucks biggest and most truculent player, Mr. Tyler Myers!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Your fear of losing 40/43 is completely sound and makes sense. But unfortunately for them they are here for a bit. Horvat/Miller are the bigger worries.
When you look at our team we legit have to rebuild the entire bottom 6 and we need a #1/4/6 defensemen to help our team and that’s if I give you that demko is a top tier starter next year. I think demko eventually will be a good starter but next year might be too soon.
To assemble half a roster without any cap space to move around is crazy. The only option is to trade away draft picks and prospect which raises a bigger worry.
If we screw up trading away picks and prospects to clear cap or the price is high to move cap we could be looking at another 5 years before we can pull ourselves out of the mess which would for sure mean that 40/43 are gone.
It’s a terrible situation to be in but we need to make methodical moves so we aren’t stretching out this cleanup for another decade
Bottom 6 can be signed in free agency for $6m.

40/43 can Dubois themselves out of town.

Trading a guy like Rathbone to clear a contract doesn’t concern me at all.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Oh this season is over in my mind anyways. That’s why you start the selling now.

Yup...the remainder of this season should be about maximization of asset value...everything from boosting the value of guys like Virtanen, Gaudette, Juolevi, etc, to getting the best draft picks we can...even if we decide to flip them at the draft for immediate help. Everything else should be about seeing who else has a spot, or trying to find pieces that will fit into what the new GM is trying to build. I'm hoping whomever that is can see how soft and easy to play against this team is and builds a faster, harder team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->