The Management Thread | The Wheel Keeps Turning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah, if ownership moves on from Benning, there's the potential for a new manager to step in and quickly improve the team.

I hope Aquilini isn't having the same thought. That's the type of thinking that brought us Benning and his age gap bullshit in the first place.

We "could" turn things around quickly, but I'm scared we'll hire whatever GM commits to another "accelerated rebuild".

(not to attack you or say you're wrong, it's just that post sent shivers down my spine and flashbacks of 2014 draft day)

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
This window is not as big as many would like to think. Miller is 27 and Horvat is 25. Both are 3 years away from UFA. If they want to take advantage of this core then they need to get this turned around quickly. Waiting until the end of the year and wasting another trade deadline then throwing a new GM into the expansion draft process seems like a horrible idea. Aqua needs to rip off the band-aid, fire Benning and get to work on finding the right person for the job.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I hope Aquilini isn't having the same thought. That's the type of thinking that brought us Benning and his age gap bullshit in the first place.

We "could" turn things around quickly, but I'm scared we'll hire whatever GM commits to another "accelerated rebuild".

(not to attack you or say you're wrong, it's just that post sent shivers down my spine and flashbacks of 2014 draft day)

This team is a lot different than that team, and certainly is not in need of a rebuild. This team literally has its entire core in their prime, and support pieces should be cheap due to ongoing flat cap.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This window is not as big as many would like to think. Miller is 27 and Horvat is 25. Both are 3 years away from UFA. If they want to take advantage of this core then they need to get this turned around quickly. Waiting until the end of the year and wasting another trade deadline then throwing a new GM into the expansion draft process seems like a horrible idea. Aqua needs to rip off the band-aid, fire Benning and get to work on finding the right person for the job.

I'd say it's more like ripping off the tumor than band-aid, but to Aquaman...
giphy.gif

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It’s almost like Jacob Markstrom is an elite player of a completely different quality than the dreck Jim Benning gave long-term contracts to.
I guess i was thinking about all the former all stars and Hall of famers in Henrik and Daniel Sedin Mark Messier Loui Eriksson Roberto Luongo Ryan Kesler Alex Burrows that played so well until 37.

Dont get me wrong im glad for Markstrom and it's nice he gets to rub it in Bennings and the Vancouver fans face by choosing division rival Calgary.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The last time the Canucks lost 6 in a row…..

Del zotto, gudbranson and poliout was on the team.

this also the 1st time we lost 6 in a row losing each of them by 2 goals or more. So none of these lists had shoots Involved.

how many more firsts under Jim benning?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
That’s the only way this season is a success.
It’s still a total waste if they wait until the end to clean house, though. The owner has a totally unique opportunity in that he doesn’t need to sell tickets this year. This has literally never happened before! There has been no better time to get to work on liquidating assets and positioning the team for the future. If they go through the motions of trying to compete for another three months instead of trying to clean up this giant mess, they’re doing a disservice to themselves let alone us.

I can’t fathom why “waiting until the offseason” makes any sense and why Aquilini seems so dead-set on it. Let an interim guy take the first steps of what needs to be done, who cares. Just why waste away the rest of the season pretending all is normal?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
This team is a lot different than that team, and certainly is not in need of a rebuild. This team literally has its entire core in their prime, and support pieces should be cheap due to ongoing flat cap.
“Entire core” ???? 1 offensive defenceman, 2 very good young forwards 3 if Hogland doesn’t burn out and mediocre goaltending.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It’s still a total waste if they wait until the end to clean house, though. The owner has a totally unique opportunity in that he doesn’t need to sell tickets this year. This has literally never happened before! There has been no better time to get to work on liquidating assets and positioning the team for the future. If they go through the motions of trying to compete for another three months instead of trying to clean up this giant mess, they’re doing a disservice to themselves let alone us.

I can’t fathom why “waiting until the offseason” makes any sense and why Aquilini seems so dead-set on it. Let an interim guy take the first steps of what needs to be done, who cares. Just why waste away the rest of the season pretending all is normal?

Totally agree with this...there is no benefit to keeping a lame duck GM, unless you don't like the available options and think someone else might become available after the season...in which case you just promote someone to an interim position, or hire a President who will hire his GM in the off-season. And you are correct, with no concern about the gate just tank the season and work on scouting and development of the prospects you have in the system, find out who has a shot of being in your lineup next season, try to build players up that you know won't be so you can at least maximize their value in trades. I don't understand what Aquilini is doing here, it doesn't make sense to me...unless he is currently working on something quietly and just hasn't finished putting the pieces in place....at least thats the hope.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I guess i was thinking about all the former all stars and Hall of famers in Henrik and Daniel Sedin Mark Messier Loui Eriksson Roberto Luongo Ryan Kesler Alex Burrows that played so well until 37.

Dont get me wrong im glad for Markstrom and it's nice he gets to rub it in Bennings and the Vancouver fans face by choosing division rival Calgary.
You’re content to throw away the next 3 years to worry about the 3 years after.

It’s wild. Especially since you were so supportive of last seasons short cuts.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Haha... now I know why this hashtag is trending.

Yeah, the team was incredibly fortunate Gillis left us with Marky as a prospect, along with a future Captain/elite 2C, future NHL Dman, and a 6th OA pick to go along with a 110 point team including Tanman entering into his prime.

And Benning pissed it all away so that now our team needs to go over .850 to make the playoffs in a reduced division that includes OTT and a team that relies on Smith in net.

While giving over $100m to crap players.

And treating true Canucks like Hammer, Marky, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, like crap.

The Lost Years.

Last edited:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

"There are no shortcuts."

There's just gutting a franchise for a half decade or so.

The Lost Years.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
That ship has sailed.

Our prospect pool consists of . . . Podz.

Our team is Ottawa bad.

Myers is here for how many more seasons?

Edler is how old?

Schmidt is entering his 30's?

This isn't some 110 point team, with a prospect pool consisting of a future Vezina level goalie, a future Captain/Elite 2C, a future NHL D, a 6th OA pick, Tanman entering into his prime, like Gillis left us in 2014.

That ship has sailed, drove up onto shore, caught fire and exploded, hurtling it back into the ocean sinking to the murky depths below.

The Lost Years.

Reactions: Dab and Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That ship has sailed.

Our prospect pool consists of . . . Podz.

Our team is Ottawa bad.

Myers is here for how many more seasons?

Edler is how old?

Schmidt is entering his 30's?

This isn't some 110 point team, with a prospect pool consisting of a future Vezina level goalie, a future Captain/Elite 2C, a future NHL D, a 6th OA pick, Tanman entering into his prime, like Gillis left us in 2014.

That ship has sailed, drove up onto shore, caught fire and exploded, hurtling it back into the ocean sinking to the murky depths below.

The Lost Years.
A smart GM could build a new support group around Petey and Hughes, but guys including Miller and Bo must be traded for futures. The window for the next group should be “planned” (something Jethro/Jethrine don’t do) .

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad