The Management Thread | The Wheel Keeps Turning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Right up there. #1 still goes to....

dipietro-milbury-heatley-gaborik-luongojpg.jpg

Honestly, I think that had DiPietro stayed healthy I think his contract would be seen as decent. It was a huge bet but at the time he signed his contract, his cap hit was 8th among goaltenders. $4.5M AAV for a mid tier #1 goalie would have been decent value for the majority of his prime years and at his best Dipietro was actually pretty good.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's fascinating after almost unanimously bombing every contract for 30yr olds with 4yrs or more on them in this organization that people would complain that Benning didn't finally walk down that path.

And i get the easy comeback of "well if we didn't have Eriksson Myers etc blah blah blah" but why would it still be a good thing to do when were not that close to being a contender....Im not sure i follow that logic?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Honestly, I think that had DiPietro stayed healthy I think his contract would be seen as decent. It was a huge bet but at the time he signed his contract, his cap hit was 8th among goaltenders. $4.5M AAV for a mid tier #1 goalie would have been decent value for the majority of his prime years and at his best Dipietro was actually pretty good.

someone defending the DiPietro fiasco is not something I expected either.

Reactions: Luckylarry

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's fascinating after almost unanimously bombing every contract for 30yr olds with 4yrs or more on them in this organization that people would complain that Benning didn't finally walk down that path.

And i get the easy comeback of "well if we didn't have Eriksson Myers etc blah blah blah" but why would it still be a good thing to do when were not that close to being a contender....Im not sure i follow that logic?
It’s just unfortunate heading into the 7th season where most people would expect you to keep taking steps upward you literally allow the teams MVP over the past two seasons to walk while still having Baertschi, Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter etc taking up massive amounts of cap space, leading to missing a step and tumbling downward. You can see why the players on the team and the fans alike can be confused, shocked etc.

This was the teams MVP not some random scrub who hit free agency.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I can't say that trading Demko was the right move. What would Markstrom have signed for here? What could we trade Demko for? Need to answer those questions before saying for sure.

I at least hope it was considered as an option, though.
Probably could’ve attached Eriksson to him and got a late pick which is a big win.

Demko’s value today is lower than it was heading into the free agent period.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Looks at Benning's UFA signings.

Turns, looks at what Marky is doing.

Looks at what Tanev is doing.

Looks at what Tofu is doing.

Looks at what Stech is doing.

Turns, looks at stingy.

oh_i_see_what_you_did_there.gif

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Nope. 10% of the cap + 15 years for a guy coming off a so-so season (3.02 GAA and .900 SV%)?

Nope.

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It’s just unfortunate heading into the 7th season where most people would expect you to keep taking steps upward you literally allow the teams MVP over the past two seasons to walk while still having Baertschi, Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter etc taking up massive amounts of cap space, leading to missing a step and tumbling downward. You can see why the players on the team and the fans alike can be confused, shocked etc.

This was the teams MVP not some random scrub who hit free agency.
Miller was our MVP

I find it more unfortunate for Toffoli and Tanev situations than Markstrom.

Just my opinion

And yes Benning has made a mess and agree this has effected the players negatively

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
So if Benning gets canned who would you guys like to see come in?

Personally I'd like to see Gilman get the gm job, see if we can poach Brackett back from Minnesota as an AGM responsible for the draft, and look for 1 or 2 more agms to take on various rolls as well. 1 specifically responsible for development once players are drafted and as part of that be the gm of the comets to have some continuity as players come up.

We're never getting Brackett back.

GM choices ... Eric Tulsky, Chris MacFarland, Lawrence Gilman are all guys I would love. Would also like to see a President of Hockey Ops over them, but don't really have any candidates other than Gillis.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't remember who, maybe Drance or Patrick Johnson, who said something to the effect of that when Gilman left him and Aquilini shared some words that would make it pretty tough to come back from.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I can't remember who, maybe Drance or Patrick Johnson, who said something to the effect of that when Gilman left him and Aquilini shared some words that would make it pretty tough to come back from.
“You’re an idiot if you think these idiots know what they’re doing”.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The Aquilinis are in a really bad spot actually.

No one wants to manage under them and their rep sucks.

Anyone who comes in is either
A. Going to be another lapdog
B. Going to demand the Aquilinis f*** off and will probably leave at any sign of intervention. For Frank to even f*** off would take a massive hit to the ego.

His meddling since 2012 and pushing the franchise the way he wants has had significant negative effects on the business.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Really? I find that difficult to believe. I would assume that it was Linden that gave him the walking papers and if Aquilini spoke with Gilman it probably resulted with Gilman texting Aquilini and thanking him for the opportunity or the Aquilini thanking Gilman for his services. I don't think Aquilini is such an AH that he would go out of his way to "share some words" with Gilman after he was fired.

Gilman to me comes across as a really nice guy who is an utmost professional so I just don't see the opportunity for Gilman to "share some words" with Aquilini unless they were at the same bar and shooting their mouths off.

Reactions: Intangibos

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I was actually just going to post the elevator to nowhere. Stop reading my mind!

i wanted to also post this one

but as not a classic era episode it took until now to think of it

i don't think i've seen an episode of the simpsons, new or rerun, in maybe ten years. but seasons 3-8 or 9 are burned into my brain forever.

but pull my legs out with my face is still the most apt analogy for benning, imo.

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
dis

disagree.

keeping Demko was the right move.

you guys are forgetting 1 big thing when you evaluate this year. No fans = No money which equates to a wasted year for ownership.
Marky would be 32 3 months into having fans back if it even happens that soon.

Demko will be a upper tier goalie entering his prime once they start filling the Rog.
Marky is a for sure known great goalie. Demko, might (hopefully) be in a couple years as good as that. We lost an opportunity to keep our mvp goalie, and get important future assets for Demko.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Really? I find that difficult to believe. I would assume that it was Linden that gave him the walking papers and if Aquilini spoke with Gilman it probably resulted with Gilman texting Aquilini and thanking him for the opportunity or the Aquilini thanking Gilman for his services. I don't think Aquilini is such an AH that he would go out of his way to "share some words" with Gilman after he was fired.

Gilman to me comes across as a really nice guy who is an utmost professional so I just don't see the opportunity for Gilman to "share some words" with Aquilini unless they were at the same bar and shooting their mouths off.

I did some digging and it was Elliote Friedman on the 31 thoughts pod, Feb.8th.

He left it very ambiguous though, people in twitter kind of connected the dots so who really knows what went down besides FA and Gilman.

(I'm not using taj as a source, just to give you an idea of the segment. Check the replies to the tweet.)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope he lights it up.
Yep....Madden won't be able to stick it to the Canucks like Tofoli did this season, but in future years, look out.

What a beautiful trade. Tofoli is lighting it up with Habs and almost singlehandedly stuck a shiv into their backs when the Canucks played him. And the other part of the trade, Tyler Madden arrives in the NHL after barely a week in the AHL. And the Kings swapped the Canucks second rounder to Detroit along with a later pick to move up and grab Brock Faber, one of their most promising d-men.

That's how you do it folks--take advantage of another fumbling, bumbling NHL GM. You keep waiting for things to get better in VanCity.....but every year it's another disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad