The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Are people still defending Benning ?

Depending on what your definition of "defending Benning" is. I have given Benning credit for drafting good young talent (3 Calder finalists in a row, possibly 4), and been critical of people who resort to name calling. Around here, that seems to be enough to be considered a rose coloured glasses Benning supporter.

The vitriol directed towards Benning is over the top. That statement doesn't mean I am a huge Benning supporter, but I do support decent and fair treatment of people in general.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Last time Benning used his family as operation human shield to score some pity points right? "Oh my family is under a lot of stress because I'm an incompetent oaf."

Who will it be this time? His pet fish?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Oh shut the f*** up with this stupid shit. All that ever comes out of you are these stupid semantic arguments and bullshit aloofness from any emotional argument. As if you're some kind of scientist watching and evaluating some grand experiment that you (superior being that you are) are somehow removed from.

Sorry, does the emotional response all of us lower people go through when we watch the Canucks fall on their faces offend you? Is it bothering you would have to see anger or discontent here? Either you care or you don't and if you don't, then just do us all a favour and shut the f*** up.
I do care. I've been watching this team for 30 years. And I've absolutely hated watching Benning waste the potential of the last several years. But what I've largely seen in response here hasn't been "emotion" or "anger," it's been a hysterical, immature merry-go-round of people taking out their rage on other people and building weird, exaggerated stories about what's happening so they can believe with certainty someone will notice and do something about it. Objecting to this isn't semantics. Pointing out it's weird to think other posters here on HF are somehow at fault for Benning still being the GM isn't semantics. This is getting ridiculous, and I don';t care if you don't think anyone has the right to be tired of it and say so. Benning can't get fired quickly enough, and I hope it makes people here behave normally again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm surprised so many Canucks fans are stunned at how this season is evolving. I never had a very positive feeling about the Canucks moving to an all-Canadian Division. And when they walked away from all their UFA's in the off-season it was really foretelling what lay ahead.

In addition to Markstrom masking a lot of their defensive problems last season, the old Pacific Division helped a lot too. Let's face it, the Canucks are a mediocre team....but the LA teams, San Jose and Arizona are a lot worse. So there's just no easy points any more.

They could end the season tomorrow. Ottawa and Vancouver will be golfing long before the playoffs begin.

Reactions: Dab

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Countdown until someone figures out Weisbrods burner accounts
Hard to link anything with the site migration that occurred. Makes searching post history hard

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'll come clean.
I am Weisbrod.
I am Weisbrod
pYljVTJ.gif

Reactions: WTG

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I’ve got to question these semantics. Message Boards are critical in terms of modern day fan engagement and organization. The media use message boards to their advantage, as does the team and the NHL.

Fans use them to communicate and engage with one another and to organize themselves in favour or opposition to the clubs direction. To say that certain posters, even certain forums that continuously attempt to justify Benning prevented canucks fans from organizing the kind of critical mass that would be needed to take down a GM is not a stretch.

Plus we already know that fans from other platforms (CDC, Reddit, Twitter etc.) have informational exchanges with HFBoards all the time - they come here to lurk and read (and even post!).

The mistake is in thinking that HF is some isolated place on the internet that 'outsiders' never interact with. We joke about us being hockey nerds but reality is our forum is still part of the wider online Canuck fandom. Views and arguments have an effect on what others think, and I think organizations who utilize burners/shill accounts realize that.

Reactions: I am toxic

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
My only answer is to just wait and see what PJ posts over the next few weeks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If shilling was going to have an effect it would be on places like Reddit (corporate astroturfing platform) where you can buy the slots for the approved "best" opinions with money for upvotes.

I have serious doubts any of the pro-Benning arguments here would have any positive impact for Benning/crew, especially given how thoroughly they have been picked apart over the years.

Reactions: Peen

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Im kind of confused by the Wikipedia editing part, like okay? He edited his Wiki page?
That's it. That confirms that he posts here, because we want to believe he posts here and it makes us feel better, and anyway, what are you, a Benning bro? Go back to Reddit before you singlehandedly extend Benning's tenure here by another couple of years.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Imagine if Weisbrod were pitching himself as a prospect expert and standing up against scouts based on reading HF Boards threads though lmaoo

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
That's it. That confirms that he posts here, because we want to believe he posts here and it makes us feel better, and anyway, what are you, a Benning bro? Go back to Reddit before you singlehandedly extend Benning's tenure here by another couple of years.
No, but the account that read like a dedicated fanfic about how big weisbrod’s johnson is definitely gives it away.

Player Discussion - Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Among many tmac trade defenses...

Reactions: AwesomeInTheory

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I mean, no. It doesn't give anything away. It lends a certain amount of credence to a particular belief. It doesn't confirm anything.
Semantics argument.

How many canucks fans have insider information on weisbrods thinking in the tmac trade while also writing fanfic about his smarts?

Historically, these types of accounts are always burners lmao

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I thought there was a report a couple seasons ago that Gillis and ownership were back on speaking terms. Now I don’t think you go down that path, even though I think he’d make a great president.

There are other good guys out there I’m sure that would take the job...if they had autonomy.
Serious questions:
Who are these good guys who would take the job if they had autonomy?
Would FA give anyone autonomy? That is the major sticking point.

With a Gillis return, both sides would know what they're getting into, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad