The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

There is no thread of HFBoards where users are allowed to editorialize on the validity of other peoples’ perspectives or opinions. Debate topics with people, but the non-stop criticism of “Benning haters” or “Benning fans” or “toxic fandom” or “cultural rot" needs to end, and it needs to end now.

There’s culprits on both sides of this issue. Knock it off, or some of you will be taking vacations from the site.

Addendum: Spamming is against the rules, too. Posts comprised of one or two words (eg - #FireBenning), or simply images/gifs are a violation of the Site Rules. So let's avoid that.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Who are the prime candidates to take over. Would be nice if we could make a good list and have a mod sticky it to the top of the page.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Why would Gilman return here?

I think he will only work here as a GM and with his buddy Mike G as president. Aqua's ego won't let that happen.
Lombardi already told them to get lost.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not at all interested in connections to the old boys network.

Does this mean the Canucks have taken advantage of this with Benning?

I think the other GM’s even his old boys network pals see him as a mark.

What are the deals where Benning helped the Canucks via his links to the old boys network?

Reactions: PM

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Not at all interested in connections to the old boys network.

Does this mean the Canucks have taken advantage of this with Benning?

I think the other GM’s even his old boys network pals see him as a mark.

What are the deals where Benning helped the Canucks via his links to the old boys network?

Don't disagree with anything you say here, just a thought that I think the reason the old boys' network hasn't done us any good is Benning is a catastrophically stupid person, so with or without the OBN outcomes would be terrible.

If we had a sharp manager who had access and pull with the network, that could help, though being a member of the club to me is a bonus, not the deciding factor which should be a balance of hockey insight, organizational and personnel management, sound strategic thinking, and most of all, adaptability and the willingness to learn from others and his own mistakes, which to me is Benning's largest flaw.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Would be a gut punch to lose Brackett because of a feud with Benning just to fire Benning a few months later. The amount of smart people that have been pushed out of the organization because of this moron is truly baffling.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The end is nigh for Benning given the trajectory of this team.
I’m hopeful changes happen soon, but expect they will occur during the season ticket push after this season. I think Aquilini will use the hiring of new management to get fans excited about next year, and to increase his season ticket sales. Because the team is not making any playoffs this year, that’s for sure.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’m hopeful changes happen soon, but expect they will occur during the season ticket push after this season. I think Aquilini will use the hiring of new management to get fans excited about next year, and to increase his season ticket sales. Because the team is not making any playoffs this year, that’s for sure.
If we assume that Calgary, Montreal and Toronto are better. I still don’t see the battle with Edmonton and Winnipeg for that last spot not lasting until the very end.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we assume that Calgary, Montreal and Toronto are better. I still don’t see the battle with Edmonton and Winnipeg for that last spot not lasting until the very end.
Fun for us to watch, but concerned that would give our owner a false sense of reality, and we’d continue with Benning/Brod.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I take the lock as people wanting to address what Is a powerhouse and what managerial moves need to occur for the Canucks to become one in here?

Would love to read some opinions.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
A post from a non Canucks fan from the main boards.

refreshing.

I feel awful for Vancouver fans because they have TONS of talent in their lineup on controlled salaries. They should be in the perfect spot to contend given the amount of discounted talent they have, instead they're wasting all their cap space on plugs and were forced to let talented players walk. The good news is he does seem to have a knack to draft the right guys in the first round so maybe they will have new controlled salary talent to introduce then, that's a big if though.

Benning's cap management is really bad. If I was the person in charge for Vancouver he would've been gone after the summer they just had, it's mind boggling to me that he still has a job.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I take the lock as people wanting to address what Is a powerhouse and what managerial moves need to occur for the Canucks to become one in here?

Would love to read some opinions.

The Canucks absolutely need to fire Benning and hire someone competent to manage the team. It's been 7 years of incompetence in the front office and the team is not in a good spot right now. It still amazes me how anyone can look at Benning's 7 year body of work and conclude that "yup, this is the guy I want to continue running the team. I'm happy with a capped out, mediocre team and want more of this." It makes absolutely no sense. There's nothing more that needs to be seen. New management is priority number 1.

After that, no more bad contracts. I'm sick of overpaying bad players because "he's good in the locker room" or "he's good in scrums." No excuse. Bad players are bad players and we don't want any of them. I want players who drive offence and suppress shot attempts and scoring attempts against. Mobile puck moving defensemen who are good at exiting the defensive zone and pushing the play forward. Forwards aren't brought in here just because they're good at sitting in the defensive zone letting the other team control the play.

The lack of anything useful coming up the pipeline is going to hurt as well. This is why many of us screamed that we should be stockpiling draft picks. While many others were ignoring the importance of those picks, we're seeing now (and will see even more going forward) that we actually needed those picks. Outside of Podkolzin, I'm not seeing much in the pipeline and even Podkolzin is a huge question mark as he hasn't really done much since he was drafted. This is going to make the job much more difficult for the new GM to come in and a) get rid of the plethora of bad contracts that Benning has plagued the team with, and b) supplement a now expensive core because the current GM wasted the cheap years of our core by surrounding them with rotten contracts.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The more I see it. The more respect I have for GMs like Kevin Cheveldayoff who have to build a contender in small market towns no one wants to go to.

Benning overpays to attract bottom UFAs here while ignoring quality players who want to stay because his phone and attention is only fixed on the shiny toys he sees at the moment like OEL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How many teams that are coming off a final eight (losing in game 7) finish lose as UFAs their number one goalie, top line right wing, and top pair right side d?
And you wonder why Miller is pissed off with our management? He’s expressing publicly what (imo) the other guys are thinking too.

@Luckylarry. The 2011 Vancouver Canucks? Slightly different but the Canucks lost Ehrhoff, Torres, Schneider, and Samuelsson was traded soon after the season started. Trading Schneider for a draft pick was about as big of a rebuilding move as any and unlike Tampa the Canucks didn't trade Horvat for immediate help.

That's besides the point though. The point is that what's important is whether the team made the right moves not whether a player likes those moves. We've debated the offseason moves. Given the cost of resigning Markstrom and Tanev, most here supported letting the two go. Losing Toffoli and Stecher garnered much less support.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The more I see it. The more respect I have for GMs like Kevin Cheveldayoff who have to build a contender in small market towns no one wants to go to.

Benning overpays to attract bottom UFAs here while ignoring quality players who want to stay because his phone and attention is only fixed on the shiny toys he sees at the moment like OEL.

Benning reminds me of people I know who barely follow hockey. He'll target players because he's heard of their name. Either because they were former first round picks, or they had an impact over a small sample size (playoff series), they did something good over half a decade ago, or they have a rough and tough hockey name. There's no actual scientific logic behind any signings he makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->