The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Damn this is depressing.
This is pretty much late 90s Canucks bad.
If it's any consolation if you made it through the messier years you can make it through this.

Some of the teams best moments in its history came in the post messier years so maybe the post Benning years will bring us a Stanley Cup. Ahhh hahahaha who am I kidding we're f***ed to eternity. Have a drink.

Reactions: LordBacon

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
At the very least you need to bring in a president with gm experience who will start making hockey ops changes and can guide us through the trade deadline and expansion draft.

This is such an imperative time for this franchise. All the moves you make now will have reprecutions for when Quinn and Elias are in their primes. If you let Jimbo stick around for the trade deadline or expansion draft you are setting future teams back big time.

We need somebody to come in asap that can load up on draft picks at the deadline and then use the draft picks to improve the team by jettisoning bad contracts to Seattle or by adding pieces that other teams would otherwise have to expose to Seattle.

Half the reason we are in this place is because Jimbo couldn't even sell a call girl in Vegas. Totally failed to acknowledge that this team should sell assets some years and the years he did acknowledge that this team was toast at the deadline he failed miserably to move assets. The entire Hamhuis ordeal was the most mind numbing Canucks deadline I've witnessed in my 30 years as a fan. Nevermind the Vegas expansion draft where we had the potential to bring in a top 4 defenseman that other teams couldn't protect yet he was busy having a love affair with gudbranson.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
I mean, it seems to me you don't run this story in this fashion (using a radio hit from 3 and a half years ago + a wikipedia trial) unless you've heard something but you just can't print it, so you use this as a round-a-bout way of doing it. And obviously we know what happened in the past when articles were printed about ownership and people hired in the Canucks origination....

Certainly we know that Weisbrod and Benning are basically in this together, and we basically know that Aqua picked Benning over Linden, so it doesn't seem that farfetched that Linden may have decided Weisbrod should go, Benning may have disagreed, etc etc

or maybe there's nothing more to the story

Last edited:
Reactions: Dab and mossey3535

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
If it’s true then this franchise will just be a more expensive version of the Sens, a clown show, except this one spends to the cap.

This is what I don't get about the FiRe BeNnInG crowd.

It won't frickin matter who we bring in as a GM as long as it's like this. At least Benning can draft and that will insulate the amount of influence the Aquilinis want over the team.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

It won't frickin matter who we bring in as a GM as long as it's like this. At least Benning can draft and that will insulate the amount of influence the Aquilinis want over the team.
Because realistically its the only hope.

Firing the coach will do nothing.

Trading away players will do nothing.

As I said a week or so ago the target should be painted on the Aqualinis however its unlikely they will fire themselves.

And moreso we went through some even more terrible managment with the McCaw group.

My hope is focussing on Aqualinis as the problem and having the heat on them might spur them to insulate themselves with competent management.

Reactions: shottasasa

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

benning is the gm.

regardless of the involvement of the owners (who sure can absolutely have a say in their investment, thing they own, pay for), a gm has to make astute moves and not allow someone to force him to make bad ones.

it's not hard.

that's why the "fiRe bNening" crowd exists. becuase benning is the most culpable on this teams position, no matter how much the aquilini's 'meddle'. stop tryin to pin this on the owners to save face.

objectively, benning has done a terrible job.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
President : Ron Hextall / Mike Gillis / Dean Lombardi
GM: Eric Tulsky / Chris Mcfarland / Laurence Gillman

if we hire Futa i’m taking my talents to Seattle
I'm so ready for someone who's actually competent to be GM again. I'll take any one of Tulsky, Gilman or McFarland.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
One thing I have been totally baffled by is Bennings seeming unwillingness to jettison assets for something, anything, when it was clear he didnt want them.

I mean meddling ownership and such is Aqualini really telling Benning not to get something back for his assets?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The Canucks corner guys have an entire thread dedicated to Ms Y2k Melvin and Dim Jim (Addison Rae) a collection of grown men who in Movember of 2018 were parading a great Canucks start and were constantly talking about how wrong those posters were about the team and made a number of personal attacks on them. Fast forward a few months the Canucks absolutely imploded like usual, missed the playoffs by a mile yet those very same posters still applauded Benning for years to come.

That place is an absolute cesspool.

Dakota1615

Feb 7, 2021
Get Telus to buy team and let hockey team alone. Or be like Steinbrenner (after change in later years) and let management manage. Owners can change.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
benning is the gm.

regardless of the involvement of the owners (who sure can absolutely have a say in their investment, thing they own, pay for), a gm has to make astute moves and not allow someone to force him to make bad ones.

it's not hard.

that's why the "fiRe bNening" crowd exists. becuase benning is the most culpable on this teams position, no matter how much the aquilini's 'meddle'. stop tryin to pin this on the owners to save face.

objectively, benning has done a terrible job.

Benning has done a shit job since he got here...if the Aquilini's can't see that...after 7 f***ing years...then they are a large part of the problem as well, and deserve their fair share of criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->