The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, that's not the case. Aquilini isn't even a penny pincher. He's what happens if CDC/Reddit/Twitter/whatever casual fan base gets their own hockey team and decides to take an active role.

Everyone is looking for explanations with ownership like "oh he's stupid" or "oh he's cheap" when the reality is he's just a fan who doesn't spend tons of time analyzing and discussing hockey. That's usually fine, but it's very concerning when they have an active role in determining the future for this team.

The media has treated this management group with kid gloves for their entire tenure, now their knives are out and little casual fan Frankie will probably take notice.

No it really is the case. And the Aquilini family absolutely are penny pinchers. I know some people don’t want to recognize this because they see what was spent when Gillis was GM and the team value kept increasing but it is very much a reality. A latest example is how they aren’t paying to tarp off all the seats in the arena (the seats directly under the camera are not tarped off)

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
People want to blame Aquilini but I’m on board with the “don’t let Jim buyout his own mistakes” plan.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No it really is the case. And the Aquilini family absolutely are penny pinchers. I know some people don’t want to recognize this because they see what was spent when Gillis was GM and the team value kept increasing but it is very much a reality. A latest example is how they aren’t paying to tarp off all the seats in the arena (the seats directly under the camera are not tarped off)

like how is that even relevant. I wouldn’t pay to cover seats if I was the owner it’s just dumb to waste money on that.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
One of the biggest things that I think stands out is what happened with Linden in 2018. Say what you will about Trevor - he is this franchise. When Aquilini hired him in 2014, the thought was that it was a sort-of lifetime appointment - because you can't very well fire Trevor freaking Linden. Results or no.

And then he steps down in the summer of 2018, apropos of very little. We get nothing, and the rumblings in advance were minor. He ostensibly leaves the city he loves, and the franchise he was the face of. He doesn't do any exit interviews, and has done nothing since, aside from attend the Sedins retirement ceremonies (a given). His visibility in Club 16 promotional material has even waned. Granted, Trevor is a classy guy, and one couldn't see him instigating scorched earth or anything - but there's something to it. And the Aquilinis haven't filled the role of President of Hockey Ops since - a role that isn't vital in a club's ops, but which is integral as a lynchpin and direction-setter.

I think it says something that this franchise ostensibly has just three guys in team-related executive staff - with Gear I think mainly just focused on contracts. Teams like Tampa Bay may lack Presidents of Hockey Ops, but they have AGM's with specific duties: Director of Player Personnel, Director of Player Development, Director of Amateur Scouting, Director of Hockey Operations. These are all separate individuals. I think we're meant to believe that each of those positions is parcelled out between Benning and Weisbrod.

Believe this: there is a cost control element associated with it. Guys like Linden & Malhotra don't just leave the franchise they love because they feel like it. You could even say the same for Brackett. Why would he want to leave before he gets to see the actualization of years of his hard work as Director of Scouting?

One cannot say that ownership has ever cheaped out on the player payroll. They know that's where the eyes go to when it comes to spending. On the executive side, I wonder if the chickens are coming home to roost - and finding a lot of empty office to roost in at the top.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Somehow, yes. I'm sure they are out there, but has anyone met a Benning believer in real life? I can't say I have.

Is there a GM this polarizing ever? It's like Trump down South. Clearly things are awful, but people are just *dug in*.
I mean ... there's basically two or three conspicuous Benning supporters here out of probably over a hundred people who post regularly. Is it really a problem? Is it worth getting angry about? A poster earlier said that "shills and nitpickers" on HFBoards are literally partly to blame for management lasting as long as they have -- this belief is pretty clearly less sensible than anything any poster here has claimed to believe about Benning.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Somehow, yes. I'm sure they are out there, but has anyone met a Benning believer in real life? I can't say I have.

Is there a GM this polarizing ever? It's like Trump down South. Clearly things are awful, but people are just *dug in*.
When there's so much misdirection and lying involved, yes.

Who are the Canucks anymore?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It is very sad knowing that we have had Benning here for a half decade or so of misery, in no small part due to the shilling and nitpicking used to defend and deflect attention away from atrocious management.

Not poor management. Atrocious management.

If I had to guess, I would guess those posters know who they are.

Reactions: LordBacon

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It is very sad knowing that we have had Benning here for a half decade or so of misery, in no small part due to the shilling and nitpicking used to defend and deflect attention away from atrocious management.

...and those in Vancouver sports media.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

Just so we're clear -- you're accusing some posters you dislike on HFBoards of extending Benning's tenure?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous this sounds?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I mean ... there's basically two or three conspicuous Benning supporters here out of probably over a hundred people who post regularly. Is it really a problem? Is it worth getting angry about? A poster earlier said that "shills and nitpickers" on HFBoards are literally partly to blame for management lasting as long as they have -- this belief is pretty clearly less sensible than anything any poster here has claimed to believe about Benning.

What's worth getting angry about people who are displeased with Benning's work?

End of the day, I get off the internet, and forget about it. The Canucks are my favourite hockey team, and hockey is a huge part of my life. I am passionate about hockey and I am passionate about Vancouver. And when I see the team I am passionate about struggling when they could very simply not be, or something could be done better, I'll speak my opinion because I'm an outspoken, cranky bastard.

Am I angry? Perhaps a tiny bit. Frustrated is a better word, I'm not a numbers guy but I am interested in the business of hockey and I've seen enough moves and practices by the regime to know I do not see eye to eye with them in the slightest. And I'm tired of pretending like many on this board, or reddit, or whatever said "If we are tanking, why does the cap matter?" and whatever excuse is hot to brush off the reason why teams struggle and stay struggling. It's management, plain, clear, and simple.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I know this board is no place for politics,
but for a guy living in Hong Kong most of my life.
I’m very aware of how the media can manipulate people’s opinion on things.

I just can’t believe I’m witnessing the same tactics used on a nhl team, maybe spend your time money and effort in improving the team instead? This is a freaking joke

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Fan pressure absolutely plays into managerial and ownership decisions.
I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the semantics -- I feel awful about it and I'll never forgive myself -- but that isn't what he said. He literally said that a few posters here, on this specific board, were somehow responsible, through misdirection and "nitpicking," for Benning's tenure being appreciably longer than it would have been otherwise. I'm sorry, but that's totally absurd. People are just starting to lose their minds with rage. It's really weird.

Reactions: Intangibos

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canucks fans in ‘Fire Gillis’ shirts kicked off arena plaza

I forgot the vibe on this board back in the day, that might have been during my dark ages of not caring as much.

This was near the end of what turned out to be an 83 point season. Guess how many times we've eclipsed that since? Those fans were such spoilt casuals.

The vibe? We were all very frustrated and maybe 50-50 about keeping Gillis, I believe there was a majority who would've loved to see him completely tear it down.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Eh. There's already folks trying to backtrack their opinions and trying to straddle fences. Suddenly firing Daddy is a reasonable thing to be suggesting.

Reactions: I am toxic

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the semantics -- I feel awful about it and I'll never forgive myself -- but that isn't what he said. He literally said that a few posters here, on this specific board, were somehow responsible, through misdirection and "nitpicking," for Benning's tenure being appreciably longer than it would have been otherwise. I'm sorry, but that's totally absurd. People are just starting to lose their minds with rage. It's really weird.

Oh shut the f*** up with this stupid shit. All that ever comes out of you are these stupid semantic arguments and bullshit aloofness from any emotional argument. As if you're some kind of scientist watching and evaluating some grand experiment that you (superior being that you are) are somehow removed from.

Sorry, does the emotional response all of us lower people go through when we watch the Canucks fall on their faces offend you? Is it bothering you would have to see anger or discontent here? Either you care or you don't and if you don't, then just do us all a favour and shut the f*** up.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Can someone explain to me what happened to Sven Baertschi? He scored ~25 goals in his past 82 NHL games and clearly had chemistry with Horvat but was essentially blacklisted by the organization. This was the only “age gap” player they semi hit on and when he reached his probably best case scenario they just gave up on him? This is a few months after signing him to a ridiculous contract?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Oh shut the f*** up with this stupid shit. All that ever comes out of you are these stupid semantic arguments and bullshit aloofness from any emotional argument. As if you're some kind of scientist watching and evaluating some grand experiment that you (superior being that you are) are somehow removed from.

Sorry, does the emotional response all of us lower people go through when we watch the Canucks fall on their faces offend you? Is it bothering you would have to see anger or discontent here? Either you care or you don't and if you don't, then just do us all a favour and shut the f*** up.

Dude, say what you will about disagreeing with bandwagonesque, but c'mon, he's not wrong in calling it a dumb take and not the first time tonight he said something along those lines:

GDT: - Game #15 Sat Feb 6th @Leafs 4pm PST/ Feb 7th 1am CET/8am HKT/11am AEDT

We're a small group of hockey nerds on the Internet. Passionate? Yes. Influential? Not in any way meaningful to the folks in power.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Can someone explain to me what happened to Sven Baertschi? He scored ~25 goals in his past 82 NHL games and clearly had chemistry with Horvat but was essentially blacklisted by the organization. This was the only “age gap” player they semi hit on and when he reached his probably best case scenario they just gave up on him? This is a few months after signing him to a ridiculous contract?

No idea. I thought he looked good in his few games last season despite not putting up any points, he definitely created a few chances. Weird the treatment he was given while Loui doesn't have to ride the bus.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah, you're telling me that the guy who was asked what style of play he'd like the team to adopt and replied with "my favourite style of play is winning!" is out there telling them what specific shitty plug they should be acquiring and how much they should be paying them?

nGLbr.jpg

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I’ve got to question these semantics. Message Boards are critical in terms of modern day fan engagement and organization. The media use message boards to their advantage, as does the team and the NHL.

Fans use them to communicate and engage with one another and to organize themselves in favour or opposition to the clubs direction. To say that certain posters, even certain forums that continuously attempt to justify Benning prevented canucks fans from organizing the kind of critical mass that would be needed to take down a GM is not a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad