The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
You mean Jim Benning, who once self-proclaimed that his background is in amateur scouting, and who is currently following the Nucks are around on a 2 week road swing for no apparent reason. Can't he go scout the NCAA: NCAA College Men's Ice Hockey Scores, Schedule | NCAA.com
or does he think he is still leaving that up to Brackett?

My theory is this: he is using this long tried and true method of avoiding the owner when the jig is up.

Last edited:

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
We don't even know if there will be a draft this year. What a year to tank.
I’m sure if that’s the case, draft is order will stay as is for next years 2021 draft. Maybe not a lottery this year

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Really need a new GM before the TDL. One that's ready to rebuild or atleast retool from the damage Benning has caused.

The problem is, what do we have of value to other teams that we are prepared to give up? Maybe Virtanen? Guys on an expiring contract might fetch a mid/late pick? Nothing thats going to make a significant impact towards improving the team. I think the expansion draft will be the time to try and cash in for a new GM...might be able to give up a decent prospect or pick for them to take on a big salary dump to create some flexibility.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What I'd be most worried about is if the Canucks get a lottery pick and Benning is still GM at the time of the draft. I could see him trying to make a trade for a win-now player, especially given the fact that lottery picks haven't been able to jump in and help teams right away lately (Hughes' first season, Kakko's career to-date, Lafrieniere's weak start, Byfield not in the NHL, etc.).

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The problem is, what do we have of value to other teams that we are prepared to give up? Maybe Virtanen? Guys on an expiring contract might fetch a mid/late pick? Nothing thats going to make a significant impact towards improving the team. I think the expansion draft will be the time to try and cash in for a new GM...might be able to give up a decent prospect or pick for them to take on a big salary dump to create some flexibility.

Even if Benning has handcuffed us from improving that much at the TDL & draft, we can't lose sight of how disastrously stupid he's consistently proven to be. If we can't get much better it would still be an important goal to prevent Benning from doing even more damage on his way out.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Even if Benning has handcuffed us from improving that much at the TDL & draft, we can't lose sight of how disastrously stupid he's consistently proven to be. If we can't get much better it would still be an important goal to prevent Benning from doing even more damage on his way out.

For sure...I would think he'd have to be a "lame duck" GM as we speak, I couldn't see the Aquilini's allowing him to make any trades without approval right now.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
What I'd be most worried about is if the Canucks get a lottery pick and Benning is still GM at the time of the draft. I could see him trying to make a trade for a win-now player, especially given the fact that lottery picks haven't been able to jump in and help teams right away lately (Hughes' first season, Kakko's career to-date, Lafrieniere's weak start, Byfield not in the NHL, etc.).
There is not going to be a draft this year due to the fact that there have been so few Junior Games this year. However, the draft positioning based on order of finish will remain and there will be 2 drafts in 2022...one based on 2021 placings, and then another one a few year laters based on 2022 placings. So, do not believe Benning will have any possibility of messing this us as he will not be in charge at that time!

Reactions: Luckylarry

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You mean Jim Benning, who once self-proclaimed that his background is in amateur scouting, and who is currently following the Nucks are around on a 2 week road swing for no apparent reason. Can't he go scout the NCAA: NCAA College Men's Ice Hockey Scores, Schedule | NCAA.com
or does he think he is still leaving that up to Brackett?

My theory is this: he is using this long tried and true method of avoiding the owner when the jig is up.
I have an alternate theory: there's a pandemic going on right now and if we went to scout any of those teams he'd have to quarantine for 14 days upon re-entering the country, which a GM obviously couldn't do easily or at all while managing an NHL team, and he already has US-based staff scouting those players.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
For sure...I would think he'd have to be a "lame duck" GM as we speak, I couldn't see the Aquilini's allowing him to make any trades without approval right now.
Who does Aquilini get to help him make the decision if the trade is a good one for the club though, if not his GM/President of hockey? For accounting the money of a trade, for Sure Aquilini can figure that out, but for the player’s actual on ice contribution, can he do that? Should he be? We need a President of hockey that will be the Aquilini advisor on hockey stuff.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

mid be worried of him making a trade to take on long term salary. Move out sutter, virtanen and Pearson to take back a subban or skinner to try and revitalize their career now and improve us

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Who does Aquilini get to help him make the decision if the trade is a good one for the club though, if not his GM/President of hockey? For accounting the money of a trade, for Sure Aquilini can figure that out, but for the player’s actual on ice contribution, can he do that? Should he be? We need a President of hockey that will be the Aquilini advisor on hockey stuff.

I don't think FA allows any moves that will hamstring any potential new GM financially, only moves that free up cap space.

mid be worried of him making a trade to take on long term salary. Move out sutter, virtanen and Pearson to take back a subban or skinner to try and revitalize their career now and improve us

I don't think he'd do that...Pearson and Sutter are on expiring contracts, financial flexibility is at a premium.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I’m just waiting for Weisbrod to post a long post with big words about why the Canucks have been the only franchise to decrease in value under his watch

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Incoming diversion: Chris Johnston just said on HNIC that they are likely to trade Jake Virtanen, in the last great attempt to scapegoat a player for Managements devote failure. It is an amazing endorsement that FA would allow Benning to make any trades given how bad his Proscouts are. If this happens it shows FA is in lockstep with Benning and Weisbrod.

and if Virtanen blossoms, watch out.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Really need a new GM before the TDL. One that's ready to rebuild or atleast retool from the damage Benning has caused.

He has already done too much damage. Even a new GM won't be able to do much until the 2022-23 season because of all the dead weight Benning signed.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Ok. That should be the last game like that we should have to suffer while having the same coach and management.

This is a total dogshit season in the making.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Incoming diversion: Chris Johnston just said on HNIC that they are likely to trade Jake Virtanen, in the last great attempt to scapegoat a player for Managements devote failure. It is an amazing endorsement that FA would allow Benning to make any trades given how bad his Proscouts are. If this happens it shows FA is in lockstep with Benning and Weisbrod.

He's never going to blossom here. May as well get something for him

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

He didn't say this, he said he wondered if they might explore trading him, which stands to reason. There was no indication he'd heard they would. They might pass if a management/coaching change comes first.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
While it sucks seeing this team struggle and some players basically quit on the game, it will be worth it if Benning and Weisbrod get fired. It just sucks for the next GM who has to deal with all of the issues Benning has created -- it'll essentially set them back 2-3 years being handcuffed by the cap and lack of prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad