Blue Jays Discussion: The long, slow march of a winter off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don't think it's fair to Danny Green to extrapolate from one event. It was a scheduled appearance and we have no idea where the money went (maybe it went to his charity?). If he's charging for people who run into him on the street that's different.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Cubs are also changing their national scouting coverage. After they lost national crosschecker Sam Hughes to the Yankees, Ron Totsenton will likely operate as the lone national crosschecker. (A regional crosschecker is in charge of seeing amateur prospects recommended by area scouts, and the national ones see the best of those players before the draft.)
Two people now working under Kantrovitz this season interviewed for his job: Lukas McKnight and West Coast crosschecker Shane Farrell. Both reportedly impressed in their interviews, but when Kantrovitz turned out to be available, a bit of a surprising turn of events, Epstein decided to go outside of the organization.

Many around the industry assumed Farrell was the favorite for the job. Like his brother Jeremy, who was recently promoted to assistant director of baseball development, Shane is viewed as a fast-riser in the industry. McKnight interviewed for the Blue Jays scouting director job when it was open prior to the 2017 season. That job ultimately went to Steve Sanders, who recently was named Ben Cherington’s assistant GM in Pittsburgh. Sources confirmed that Shane Farrell will get an interview for the Blue Jays job while it seems unlikely that McKnight will this go-around. Farrell has numerous connections to a Toronto Blue Jays front office that includes Mark Shapiro, Ross Atkins and Tony LaCava, all of whom worked with Shane’s father, John, during their time in Cleveland.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

Im not bashing the guy as I appreciate what he did for us. But like most players/teams, they only love player or a city if they can get something out of it. It works both ways, it’s a relationship built on utility for both sides.

Like Bosh. Wanted nothing to do with Toronto after he left but when we are in the finals he comes running to commentate with duthie. He came back for fame and to make some money.

Guys like Bautista and Stroman actually loved Toronto. They still rep the city.

he was brutal in the playoffs though. Seems like a good guy though.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
he was brutal in the playoffs though. Seems like a good guy though.

his offense completely disappeared in the finals and almost lost us game 6 on that terrible give away but he wing defense was one of the best on our team throughout the playoffs according to advance stats. I believe our 2nd or 3rd best defender.

Reactions: stickty111

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
A team's desirability has less to do with geography and the city itself and more to do with history, and most importantly money. You think Gerrrit Cole gave the Yanks a discount? Hell no. Yankees are desirable because of how much money they can offer and their history. They are always a contender. If the Jays had those things, they would be desirable as well. I have no worries about the Jays as a desirable destination going forward. Vladdy, Bo, Biggio will be great ambassadors to this city, country, and franchise. People will want to play with them.

Reactions: hockeywiz542 and kb

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I could be wrong, but I think all celebrities, athletes or otherwise, charge when they do signing sessions. They gotta pay the venue, their staff, travelling expenses, etc.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays aren't about to win PR points by hiring another Farrell - Sportsnet.ca
Farrell, 30, comes from the Chicago Cubs, where he was a west coast crosschecker. His ties to the Blue Jays organization date back to 2011, the first season his father managed the Blue Jays. That summer, Toronto made him their 46th round draft pick, but he never played professionally and soon transitioned to a front office role.

In Chicago, Farrell worked alongside two brothers, Luke and Jeremy, at various points. Jeremy works in the Chicago front office as a field coordinator while Luke pitched for the Cubs in 2018 before joining his current team, the Rangers.

The Blue Jays are hiring Farrell at a critical time. Just six months remain before they make their highest pick in decades – the fifth overall selection in 2020. Underscoring the importance of the pick, the Blue Jays haven’t chosen this high since 1997, when they landed Vernon Wells. With the worst of their rebuild potentially over, there’s hope that they won’t be picking this high again any time soon. Farrell’s first pick may be his most important.

Along the way he’ll have support from other executives such as senior VP of player personnel Tony LaCava, described by Atkins as a “stabilizing force.” Still, Farrell won’t have the luxury of easing into the new role.

The timing’s more rushed than usual because former scouting director Steve Sanders left to become the Pirates’ new assistant GM less than a month ago (he’s now working for former Jays executive Ben Cherington, who also happens to be the GM who acquired Farrell from Toronto back in 2012).

Regardless of the circumstances, this move won’t likely be popular with Blue Jays fans. Cue the ‘dream job’ jokes now.

Yet one experienced scout for a National League team believes Farrell was the right hire even if it’s met with criticism.

“The honestly not fair at all,” the scout said. “He works his ass off. Nobody will outwork him, and he’s very intelligent and a strong evaluator who trusts his area guys.”

Clearly, it would be unfair to assume Farrell will treat Toronto as a stepping stone just because his father did. But by that same logic, we can’t assume he’ll be successful simply because his family’s well-connected in the game.

The way the MLB Draft plays out, it’ll be years before we know how Farrell’s draftees do. In the meantime, he probably shouldn’t expect a particularly warm embrace from the many Blue Jays fans who still haven’t forgiven his father.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Is that Ben Nicholson-Smith piece serious? Look, I despise John Farrell with every ounce I got. But if his son is deemed a good fit — and by all accounts he’s a tireless worker — I don’t see why his last name and who is father is should be reflected badly upon him. Particularly when their roles with the club were completely different.

If there is anything management is not going to earn PR points on, it’s them saying they’re flush with cash to spend and only delivering Tanner freakin’ Roark thus far. That’ll get somewhat of a boost if and when they sign Edwin.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Money still to burn.

Ryu and EE would both make sense.

Maybe some big $ one year deals for good flippable arms near the deadline? If the teams not in contention....and likely won’t be....there should be arms coming up.

Fingers crossed for health/good performance of course, but there are good options to move and replacements near ready.

Shoemaker > Pearson
Anderson > Kay, Zeuch
Giles > I‘m not sure there’s a replacement in house who projects to ready for late summer, but he’d warrant a nice haul.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
EE is dealing with some personal issues (IIRC, his father passed but I’m not 100%).

So I doubt he signs until the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad