Blue Jays Discussion: The long, slow march of a winter off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
How is the general feeling of the Jays brass around these parts? I haven't been following the 0ff-season as much as previous years and would like to know how most feel about Shapiro/Atkins. Are these the team to make us a contender? Some of you guys are much more in tune with the prospects we have than I am. Curious, I found as a somewhat casual fan they have sort of botched up some trades/handlings of the big guns, Donaldson, Osuna, etc, but feel they do well building a farm system.

What's the general feeling around here?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

pretty damn reasonable.

He could make an additional $675,000 in incentives. While the Jays' financial commitment to Shaw is just for one year, they will have him under team control for 2021, as well. Shaw had back-to-back 30-homer seasons for the Brewers in 2017 and 2018 before collapsing last season. He'll turn 30 just after Opening Day and is a solid bounce-back candidate in Toronto, where he'll be set to play first base and also probably serve as a designated hitter on occasion.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Definitely better value than Smoak for that price.

I'm assuming that Shaw hasn't actually completely forgotten how to hit a baseball, so he should be closer to his '17/'18 numbers.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Great! 1 year and still has an arb year so we can get him for 2. Like the signing. Could be Drury replacement.

DFA Drury and sign EE or Puig.

True, but I doubt it unfortunately.

Shaw and EE as our 1B/DH tandem would be good, but I imagine Tellez is due for one of those spots.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
How is the general feeling of the Jays brass around these parts? I haven't been following the 0ff-season as much as previous years and would like to know how most feel about Shapiro/Atkins. Are these the team to make us a contender? Some of you guys are much more in tune with the prospects we have than I am. Curious, I found as a somewhat casual fan they have sort of botched up some trades/handlings of the big guns, Donaldson, Osuna, etc, but feel they do well building a farm system.

What's the general feeling around here?

The management definitely overpromised and is underdelivering. But I think if Ryu signs, it will all be forgotten

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
True, but I doubt it unfortunately.

Shaw and EE as our 1B/DH tandem would be good, but I imagine Tellez is due for one of those spots.

In reality what you said likely happens but this tweet is interesting. If you aren’t going to play Tellez at 1B then you might as well have him play it in AAA. Still room for EE.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In reality what you said likely happens but this tweet is interesting. If you aren’t going to play Tellez at 1B then you might as well have him play it in AAA. Still room for EE.

Does Tellez have options left?

Cavan
Bichette
Vladdy
EE
Shaw

is a heck of a infield/DH.

Just need to figure out CF and for the love of god I hope their answer isn’t Derek Fisher lmao

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Cavan
Bichette
Vladdy
EE
Shaw

Just need to figure out CF and for the love of god I hope their answer isn’t Derek Fisher lmao

I hear they are working with him to keep his eyes open when the ball is hit or pitched to him. :sarcasm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hear they are working with him to keep his eyes open when the ball is hit or pitched to him. :sarcasm:

Reminds me of the scene in moneyball

“what is your biggest fear”

“the ball being hit in my general direction”

*laughs*

“no, really, that’s it”

Reactions: kb

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Cavan
Bichette
Vladdy
EE
Shaw

yeah he does have one option year left. Would be a solid team. I don’t mind rolling out Teoscar/Alford/Fisher in the OF. Teoscar quietly had a 1.2 fWAR with limited at bats last season. Alford could bring a different element.

C: Jansen
1B: Shaw
2B: Biggio
SS: Bichette
3B: Vladdy
RF: Grichuk
CF: Hernandez
LF: Gurriel
DH: Encarnacion

Bench: McGuire, Fisher, Alford, Urena

Roark
Anderson
Shoemaker
Thornton
Borucki

Giles
Romano
Pannone
Bass
Yamaguchi
Gaviglio
Font
Waguespack

Waguespack, Pannone, and/or Gaviglio can easily be sent down for more arms or for Drury. Or Giles can be traded.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

Cavan
Bichette
Vladdy
EE
Shaw

Do you think ee is out now with the shaw signing? Or prob not?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do you think ee is out now with the shaw signing? Or prob not?

That comes down to what they see Tellez as.

Shaw is going to play close to every day as our 1B. So they may prefer Tellez in AAA getting actual 1B reps which allows us to bring in Edwin to play DH and 1B/3B when needed.

Signing Shaw doesn’t necessarily close to the door on EE unless they see Tellez as their full-time DH.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think they give Tellez a chance this year to prove himself. Shaw is a nice stable bat and defender at first bat to help stabilize the position if Tellez struggles. Shaw also has a nice track record health wise in his career. He can play the lions share at first if Tellez can't cut it and the Jays can use others at DH.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Tellez numbers were pretty shit last year so I have no issue with them using the option year they have left for him. It’s likely he’d get the call if one of ee or Shaw gets hurts.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't understand the doom and gloom around the team. The team is young. They have a single year of development in the league when it comes to the young core. There is no need to go ALL in, just get some decent pitching and see what they can do and then assess from there. Without the chance to even sniff at getting Cole, there isn't much the FO could have done to massively improve the starting rotation in a single go. Let Pearson and co. develop and go from there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Let someone else overpay for Ryu.

For everyone who says the Jays should be more aggressive to get a deal done, remember it takes 2 to tango. Jays were aggressive on Estrada and Happ in 2016 and that worked. They were aggressive on EE in 2017, when EE didn’t want to sign then, the Jays were aggressive on Morales and Pearce.

Can be aggressive all you want but sometimes free agents want to see how the market materializes just like Ryu did here and it’s working out perfectly for him.

Even after Shaw they are still pressing EE. If you can’t get pitching you go the 2015 Jays route or the Yankees route when you can. Outscore them;

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

They can't let Shaw see lefties. Guy is a black hole with zero power against LHP.

Reactions: Garlando

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I actually called the Shaw signing. If he regains form to his 2017/18 self (the only reason you make the signing) you are looking at a 2-3 war player, but we want to capitalize on getting a 2nd year at a discount so to bad there is no team option for a 2nd year

edit - He's also arbitration eligible next offseason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->