Blue Jays Discussion: The long, slow march of a winter off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
So you savvy stats guys

Would you know where I might locate a index for pitchers in specific ball parks

For example keuchel at the skydome(refuse to call it anything else)

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Will Smith to Braves. Probably bodes well for a Ken Giles market heating up.

Beat me to it.

I wonder how quickly we'll see the Jays move this offseason.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Offseason Outlook: Toronto Blue Jays

This is the state of the Blue Jays' farm system

Going into the season, MLB Pipeline ranked Toronto’s farm system as the fifth-best in baseball on the merits of its star power up top as well as its overall depth. Vlad Jr.’s graduation from prospect to big leaguer inevitably dealt a blow to the system -- it checked in at No. 10 on MLB Pipeline’s post-Deadline Top 15 organizational rankings in August (prior to Bichette’s graduation) -- but as a whole the Blue Jays’ system remained strong over the course of the ’19 season, thanks largely to another strong Draft and some notable prospect acquisitions via trades.

Minor Leaguers praise Toronto for salary boost

Even for some who haven’t necessarily struggled financially through their time in the Minors -- like 24-year-old righty Maverik Buffo, who was a 34th-round Draft pick in 2017 and spent most of the ’19 season on the injured list -- every little bit made a difference.

“Oh, we absolutely felt the impact,” Buffo said. “Especially in rehab -- that’s where it helped a ton to have a bit extra. I can’t tell you how grateful I am to the Blue Jays for that; it’s huge.

Blue Jays' talks with agent Scott Boras show real off-season test is execution - Sportsnet.ca
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – A year after suggesting a "Blue Flu" had struck the Toronto Blue Jays and caused a sharp decline in their attendance, influential superagent Scott Boras struck a much more conciliatory tone about the club Wednesday as he exited the General Managers Meetings.

"I think the spirit with which they want to return the franchise to where I think it should be, (it) is more likely we have a common thought about that today," Boras replied when asked for his impression of how the club is operating this off-season. "When you have the fans kind of speaking out – how do they speak out? They don’t come – they have every reason to return to getting back that fanbase."

Boras and the Blue Jays brass met Tuesday at the Omni Scottsdale Resort and Spa and while the Blue Jays aren’t going to be shopping in his Gerrit Cole/Stephen Strasburg aisle, they have some degree of interest in several other of his clients, including starters Hyun-Jin Ryu and Dallas Keuchel, plus slugger Mike Moustakas.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays pass on Odorizzi opportunity, show their restraint once again - Sportsnet.ca
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — There was a real opportunity for the Toronto Blue Jays with Jake Odorizzi, the all-star right-hander who took himself off the free-agent market by accepting a $17.8-million qualifying offer from the Minnesota Twins.

Odorizzi could have been bought out of the big one-year payoff, much the way the Atlanta Braves tempted closer Will Smith away from a return to the San Francisco Giants with a $39-million, three-year deal that includes a $13-million club option with a $1-million buyout.

The calculations would have been different for the 29-year-old starter, who developed a deep respect for manager Charlie Montoyo from their time together with the Tampa Bay Rays. Factoring in the compensation signing Odorizzi would have required — in the Blue Jays’ case, their second-round pick, roughly 45th overall, plus $500,000 in international bonus pool room — a three-year offer in the $45-$50 million range forces Odorizzi into a tough decision, maybe even gets a deal done.

That’s a pretty tough guarantee to leave on the table, even with the potential of returning to the market next year without the tether of draft-pick compensation. And from the team end, there’s still a near certainty of winning a good chunk of surplus value in that salary range, at an annual number that won’t tie anyone’s hands.

Clearly, no one got there, and Odorizzi is now positioned to join a free-agent class set to include Trevor Bauer, Jake Arrieta, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Marcus Stroman and Robbie Ray next fall.

First baseman Jose Abreu was the only other qualified free agent to accept the $17.8 million ahead of the 5 p.m. ET deadline, but the sense all along was that he intended to remain with the Chicago White Sox. Anthony Rendon, Josh Donaldson and Marcell Ozuna all rejected the qualifying offer, as did premium aces Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg, plus Madison Bumgarner and, of note to the Blue Jays, Zack Wheeler.

Where they go from here is unclear, although Odorizzi’s handling demonstrates that even amid their self-described aggressiveness in the market, their restraint from previous winters remains strong and steady.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The compensation system is ridiculous. Atlanta is going to give up about the 90th pick to sign Smith. The Jays would have to give up around the 45th and 500K in international money.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The compensation system is ridiculous. Atlanta is going to give up about the 90th pick to sign Smith. The Jays would have to give up around the 45th and 500K in international money.
Yeah the entire compensation system boggles my mind. Good teams have more incentive to sign free agents in the current system.

It will never happen but mlb is a sport that badly needs a minimum and maximum cap.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Why not keep Jansen and rotate grandal between catcher/first/Dh.

I don’t think it has to be either/or type situation.

No for sure, happy to keep Jansen as well. I'm just curious if a particular team values a catcher like Jansen very highly. I'd want to keep Jansen as well but if teams were interested in him and we were able to get Grandal I'd at least be open to hearing if any teams were to offer a good, young outfielder

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Danny Jansen is basically an untouchable for me... unless you're getting a Whitley, Gore, May type back. Guys going to be a top-5 hitting catcher in the league and he's proven that his defense is legitimately good (ranked 6th among catchers above 350 PA), which was the only real question mark before the big leagues.

I ride him out, his minor league numbers are way too good and his major league numbers are far too unlucky: T-4th worst BABIP overall of players with at least 350 PA in the 2019 season. He's going to be a star, everyone knows it. Don't care the value difference, McGuire is the one that goes first (assuming we trade one).

Realistically anyone on the major league roster other than VGJ, Bo, Jano, and Biggio should/could be traded for a better piece.

Reactions: phillipmike

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We should just save the money we have this offseason to be honest unless we go after a guy like Cole and front load it so we have money to pay the kids later. I would even move Grichuk and go bare bones on the payroll.

See what Tellez can do at 1st, Let Jansen and Mcquire battle, and let all of the AAAA outfielders battle it out and see who comes out of it.

Fill the bench out with some good veteran guys that you can sign for cheap near spring training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad