The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Yes.

The most talented player on the planet is Connor McDavid. McDavid can do things no other hockey player can do at speeds unprecedented. We haven't even seen his best, the McDavid Era is just beginning.

Name one unprecedented thing he's done. Please. He's an outrageous talent, but let's give this trope a rest. He did nothing to goalies last year that Forsberg didn't do in the 90's, Lemieux in the 80's, and Perrault in the 70's. Speed? Really. Pavel Bure?

This is probably the weirdest tire pumping I've heard and it seems to be gaining steam. Not enough that he may one day be one of the best....he's gotta transform the sport now?

Would you mind showing me one clip from his pro career that is "unique" to the game?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Name one unprecedented thing he's done. Please. He's an outrageous talent, but let's give this trope a rest. He did nothing to goalies last year that Forsberg didn't do in the 90's, Lemieux in the 80's, and Perrault in the 70's. Speed? Really. Pavel Bure?

This is probably the weirdest tire pumping I've heard and it seems to be gaining steam. Not enough that he may one day be one of the best....he's gotta transform the sport now?

Would you mind showing me one clip from his pro career that is "unique" to the game?

Speed wise he's faster with the puck under control than anyone I've ever seen was what I was referring too.

Mr Donald Hangrider*

Dec 20, 2015
Are you lost?

Nobody who was serious has said he's better or is going to be better than McDavid.

Backpedal all you like, I'm not here to take any individuals on in debates I already know I'm right in. McDavid is greatest talent we've seen since Lemuiex. Matthews is a very good talent, but not special.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Crazy thing is I think he might not even be the best player on the Leafs in five years. I think it will be a Toews-Kane type of situation with Matthews and Marner. Only Marner will be better defensively than Kane and not quite as good offensively, while Matthews will be better than Toews offensively but not quite as good defensively.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Yes.

The most talented player on the planet is Connor McDavid. McDavid can do things no other hockey player can do at speeds unprecedented. We haven't even seen his best, the McDavid Era is just beginning.

Matthews is a great player, future top 5 player likely. He's NHL ready right now and has a very polished game that is rare for someone his age. But he's not in the same conversation as McDavid.

He was in the same conversation when GRETZKY said "it sure would be fun to play with guys like McDavid and Matthews", unless you want to discredit the GOAT.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
He was in the same conversation when GRETZKY said "it sure would be fun to play with guys like McDavid and Matthews", unless you want to discredit the GOAT.

Oh brother.

Lol can you Leafs fans not even give it a single season before you have to drown everything in hyperbole. Honestly, you've drafted a great talent - can you not just enjoy that without needing to qualify it?

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Let's do some Noam Chomsky on this thread.

Title: "Matthews will be a total "Sakic" aka Tavares"

Knowing how to read quotes and the underlying need to quote Sakic presents the fact that this phrase is being used to indicate that the subject of this title, Matthews, is being labeled as one determined object, Sakic, but is ACTUALLY being labeled as another, Tavares.

This can be noted using prior notice that, when he was draft eligible, Tavares was being lauded as a Sakic-type player, with some going so far as to say that Tavares would be Sakic in term of ability, consistancy, and impact to his team and the NHL.

At this time it has been noted that Tavares has NOT lived up to the adulation he was given in his draft year and has not trended as Sakic did. At the approximate number of games played, Sakic had produced at a far more significant number than Tavares. As well, unless the NYI win the Stanley Cup this coming season, he has not proven his ability to lead a franchise to the overall win.

Furthering to the title, I am safe to say that the title means: "Matthews will be the next Sakic, exactly like Tavares has turned out, meaning he didn't; so Matthews won't."

Safe to say that if Matthews DOES trend as Tavares did, and is, Toronto will be in a good spot as the complimentary developing players Matthews has are far superior than that was available for Tavares.

Besides, we already know what nationality Matthews and Sakic are, so what nationality is Tavares?

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Let's do some Noam Chomsky on this thread.

Title: "Matthews will be a total "Sakic" aka Tavares"

Knowing how to read quotes and the underlying need to quote Sakic presents the fact that this phrase is being used to indicate that the subject of this title, Matthews, is being labeled as one determined object, Sakic, but is ACTUALLY being labeled as another, Tavares.

This can be noted using prior notice that, when he was draft eligible, Tavares was being lauded as a Sakic-type player, with some going so far as to say that Tavares would be Sakic in term of ability, consistancy, and impact to his team and the NHL.

At this time it has been noted that Tavares has NOT lived up to the adulation he was given in his draft year and has not trended as Sakic did. At the approximate number of games played, Sakic had produced at a far more significant number than Tavares. As well, unless the NYI win the Stanley Cup this coming season, he has not proven his ability to lead a franchise to the overall win.

Furthering to the title, I am safe to say that the title means: "Matthews will be the next Sakic, exactly like Tavares has turned out, meaning he didn't; so Matthews won't."

Safe to say that if Matthews DOES trend as Tavares did, and is, Toronto will be in a good spot as the complimentary developing players Matthews has are far superior than that was available for Tavares.

Besides, we already know what nationality Matthews and Sakic are, so what nationality is Tavares?

Tavares is a top 5 center and has two Hart noms in the last 4 years. One of six guys to be a ppg over the last 5 years. Single handedly won a series. If Matthews can do that, I'll be impressed.

Lots of young studs out there, i know. Let's see who emerges over the nest few years before we start pointlessly comparing. And many would disagree with you on JT not living up to expectations. He's also not done.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Crazy thing is I think he might not even be the best player on the Leafs in five years. I think it will be a Toews-Kane type of situation with Matthews and Marner. Only Marner will be better defensively than Kane and not quite as good offensively, while Matthews will be better than Toews offensively but not quite as good defensively.

You might want to reevaluate your expectations there more so for Marner than Matthews or you're going to be awfully disappointed. Marner might have been good defensively at the junior level but juniors is completely different to the NHL. Kane's not great defensively but he's at a level now that Marner will be lucky to reach without sacrificing a significant amount of offense.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
They got Matthews because they won the lottery. Ask Edmonton, who finished 28th the year prior and got McDavid, or finished 29th last year and got 4th OA.

Your hate runs deep.

The amount of hate Matthews gets on this board because he's a Leaf is honestly pathetic. Former coaches and analysts have compared Matthews to Sakic...if you armchair GM's and coaches wanna dispute that go ahead, but it's really not hard to see the comparison and you guys putting Matthews down isn't going to change that. Matthews obviously isn't gonna come out of the gate this season and score 40-50 goals like Sakic did every year but the potential in him is sky high.

Unfortunately, it's a few posts/posters (which I am purposely not quoting to make them feel important) that gets people stirred up and then they will generalize and say "Leaf fans" when it's usually just a few "special" posters that get a bit over-exuberant. (I see that alot with Oiler threads)

I, too well, understand the Leaf fans state of mind... the pain you feel for a team you are so passionate about. Leaf fans have every reason to be excited about Matthews... he looks to be everything the "experts" say he is. He is smart, mature, has a good set of hands and an amazing release. To say he might get to a Joe Sakic is not out of the realm of possibility... to say he will be better than Sakic based on what you have seen already is like being a kid on a date where he is about to get to 3rd base... pre-mature. ;) I believe you guys have a very special talent in Mathews.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think he's going to be one of the best players in the league, but yes I would be shocked if he ended up arguably better than McDavid.

Yes.

Matthews is a great player, future top 5 player likely. He's NHL ready right now and has a very polished game that is rare for someone his age. But he's not in the same conversation as McDavid.

If you go by just point totals sure..

McDavid is a generational skater. His speed is unreal, he makes plays at high speed, great vision and IQ, doesn't have a great shot but is able to use his speed to get in the slot and rip it, not great defensivley, not great on draws (last two can come with experience).

However Matthews plays a much different game. We seen he can keep up with McDavid, he himself is a great skater. Matthews is a much more defensivley aware player. He has size and is using it, has a much more lethal shot than McDavid, I think his vision isn't as good as McDavid but his IQ is.

So it might come down to Seguin/Tavares vs Kopitar/Toews.

One guy is a fast skating guy who is dynamite on offense, but is by no means great defensivley and would probably excel on wing to a more responsible C that can match their talent.

I think this also comes into play when people say McDavid > Crosby. In points sure I will give it to you, he will start matching passing him soon, but McDavid doesn't have the defensive awareness, and doesn't come close to Crosby's board battles, puck protection, etc.

There are elements of the game that McDavid does not have and his play style does not need, which is fine, but some might take a guy who produces 15-20 points less but can be used in a wider variety of situations.

adam0307

Aug 25, 2016
Sometimes I wonder how many of the people around here actually grew up and were able to watch Joe Sakic play.

Maybe then the comparisons would die off.

Nah, probably not. People love making insane comparisons.

I agree...this is crazy. I am a huge Leafs fan, however Joe Sakic was my favourite player growing up. As a big fan of Joe, I would be quite thrilled if Matthews became half the player that he was. He was a leader in every way possible, both on and off the ice and he just seemed to love everything that came along with the game of hockey. He put up big numbers in the NHL and won 2 Stanley Cups. In addition, he was simply amazing to watch in 2002 in Salt Lake City. He scored 50 goals twice and had 6 100 point seasons. Oh and he is also in the Hall of Fame. Stats like these are hard to come by in the NHL these days and it is embarrassing as a Leafs fan to see people not just comparing Matthews to Sakic, but even saying that he is better than him. Few players leave their mark on a single franchise like Joe did, so people expecting this level of achievement are setting Matthews up for failure.

I have high hopes for the kid, but give him some time to develop and perhaps instead of comparing him to all time greats, we should just sit back and watch him play. Let him make his own mark and not have to live up to some crazy fan driven expectations.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You might want to reevaluate your expectations there more so for Marner than Matthews or you're going to be awfully disappointed. Marner might have been good defensively at the junior level but juniors is completely different to the NHL. Kane's not great defensively but he's at a level now that Marner will be lucky to reach without sacrificing a significant amount of offense.

I think Babcock just praised Marner for being a good defensive player, there is some quote out there someone else can post if they want.

I think, judging by your post, you aren't familiar with him at all. Marner is better than Kane defensively without question. You might need to reevaluate your own expectations.

You guys are so obsessed with him.

He has a point, Laine got hyped to stupid proportions and was compared to numerous HOF legends and nobody said boo. Matthews, who has actually produced in the WC and preseason, gets a Sakic comparison which was already said by Crawford and some scouts and it's supposed to be outrageous.

Hell, McDavid hasn't even played 50 NHL games and is the best since Mario Lemieux according to a poster and nobody will call that out, but Matthews and Sakic? Impossible!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's a human being, so at some point, the Toronto pressure cooker will likely destroy him, as it did with Sendin, Phaneuf, Kessel etc. It's a no-win situation for a player. I mean, there were already actual articles and reports dedicated to him breaking glass in a practice, and he ALREADY seemed annoyed by that....the season hasn't even started yet.

He wasn't annoyed by it at all. You can clearly tell he thought it was funny that anyone actually cared.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I like Matthews, he is a great player with what seems like a good attitude and I hope he does well in the NHL, but the way Leaf fans act, I can see how other fans would want him to fail. Don't forget Leaf fans the only reason you have Matthews is because your team was the worst in the league last year and have been awful for more than a decade.

The way Leafs fans act? You mean, excited that they have a player who appears could be truly elite. Some people get carried away. Like with every fan base towards their prospects, but the overwhelming majority of leafs fans, are just waiting with anticipation...

And ding ding ding... Bad teams draft the best players... Nobody has suggested otherwise

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Also, I don't think theres an issue whatsoever with people making comparisons between Matthews and sakic. These are clearly meant based on play style or skill sets, not accomplishments.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just to play devils advocate, check out what his coach this year had to say about him (This is a guy who coached in the NHL and has coached tons of stars)

I’ve said a lot of players I’d compare him to. He’s got elements of many players. Remember, he’s 18 years old. I had Anze Kopitar at 19, I had Jamie Benn at 19, and I had Joe Sakic as a 21 year old. I think Auston has got a lot of the qualities of those guys. At the same age, he looks very, very similar to Anze Kopitar with the way he drives the net, the way he protects the puck in offensive areas. He’s better offensively than Anze. He’s a shooter like Joe Sakic. His shot is similar to Jamie Benn’s. They shoot it with a lot of power, they stay on pucks the same way. Obviously, what you hope is that he adds an element of physicality to his game like Jamie Benn. You hope that he learns the defensive game the way that Anze Kopitar learned the defensive game. The hope is that the leadership that he has one day makes him like a shooting center that played well no matter who he played with and made people better, like Joe Sakic. I think Auston has that type of potential. He’s going to be an impact player right away; he’ll play in the top six right away, and he’ll have to figure it out as the year goes on. He’s a really good talent. He’s a kid that’s got his feet firmly planted on the ground. He’s got wonderful parents, great representation – all the things that you want, plus he’s six foot two. That makes you a pretty attractive package to a prospective team.

So we see a Kopitar with Benns size and Sakics shot here.

That is one hell of a player.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He has a point, Laine got hyped to stupid proportions and was compared to numerous HOF legends and nobody said boo. Matthews, who has actually produced in the WC and preseason, gets a Sakic comparison which was already said by Crawford and some scouts and it's supposed to be outrageous.

There's literally a dozen threads worth of posts proving that to be utterly false, i'm sure you were part of them.

How about we wait for a year or two before proclaiming anyone the next Sakic or Kane or Tavares with Toews defense, Jagr's hair and Bryzgalov's fear of bears?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think Babcock just praised Marner for being a good defensive player, there is some quote out there someone else can post if they want.

I think, judging by your post, you aren't familiar with him at all. Marner is better than Kane defensively without question. You might need to reevaluate your own expectations.

Hell, McDavid hasn't even played 50 NHL games and is the best since Mario Lemieux according to a poster and nobody will call that out, but Matthews and Sakic? Impossible!

On HFBoards Leafs aren't allowed to be excited about their prospects.

I mean it's perfectly fine for professionals to compare him to Sakic but god forbid that Leafs fans do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad