The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How many games has Matthews played in the NHL?

How many games did Sakic play?

Yeah, it is insane. Nice name though, you're clearly a beacon of wisdom on this subject.

We here these comparisons constantly. Nothing wrong with comparing the two.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He acually reminds me more of Sam Gagner.

In all honesty I agree. The kid oozes a winner mentality, hopefully it doesn't get lost in Toronto.

It was pretty funny when asked about his goal in the loss to Montreal, he referred to it as "embarrassing". First goal in the Leafs uni and the kid couldn't care a less.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
What impresses me most about Matthews is how ridiculously strong he is on his skates. He's very much a complete player and looks to be mature beyond his years. Leafs definitely got themselves a great franchise talent. All that's missing now really is to complement him with a solid defensive group - as the team will be top heavy soon enough.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Not typically do prospects that have never seen an NHL game get called better than hall of famers.

No one said he would be.

The OP compared their styles, and the post people are losing their heads over from dubey was nothing more than sarcasm and people, as usual, took the bait from him.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
He acually reminds me more of Sam Gagner.

In all honesty I agree. The kid oozes a winner mentality, hopefully it doesn't get lost in Toronto.

It was pretty funny when asked about his goal in the loss to Montreal, he referred to it as "embarrassing". First goal in the Leafs uni and the kid couldn't care a less.

Did he meant his goal or his team performance ?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I see Matthews' arrival in the NHL being similar to Crosby. He'll start out great and then maintain it, but not really improve from his first couple of seasons. He's already so complete I really don't see a skill that he can improve on to the point where it will make him a noticeably better player

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
No one said he would be.

The OP compared their styles, and the post people are losing their heads over from dubey was nothing more than sarcasm and people, as usual, took the bait from him.
I remember when Adam Larsson was about to be drafted, and was thought of being selected first overall by Edmonton because of their glaring need in defence, people said that he was the next Lidstrom.

"Style" doesn't mean they're the next anything... Also no where in the OP's post did he even mention style.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I remember when Adam Larsson was about to be drafted, and was thought of being selected first overall by Edmonton because of their glaring need in defence, people said that he was the next Lidstrom.

"Style" doesn't mean they're the next anything...

So maybe it's an issue with the industry as a whole and not isolated to just the Leafs and their fans? :rolleyes:

I hope you're you've been crusading this cause in other prospect threads when comparisons to past and current stars are made.

Mar 12, 2009
Where did they end up and why is the real question.

It's a fact that the Toronto media/fandom is sensational and over-the-top. Every single play or comment is deconstructed publicly, ad nauseum. Not player-friendly at all.

It's so sensational it has a legion of dedicated followers who whine about the phenomenon.

It still amazes how money responses one individual can get for saying something outlandish on here.
I really hope this guy busts.

Matthews = RNH please

How petty.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
At this point Matthews can't even hold Sakics jockstrap. If he's anywhere near as good as Tavares is now Leafs fans should be happy.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
At this point Matthews can't even hold Sakics jockstrap. If he's anywhere near as good as Tavares is now Leafs fans should be happy.

Ding ding. Sakic is a legend, Matthews will need to have a long and consistently great career to even warrant the comparison.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
It's for this kind of statements that many folks like to pile on Toronto fans.

Exactly. Can't let them have the satisfaction. It's not the players that make you hate them, it's the media and some of the fans.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Matthews > every other player that has ever played the game

Surely not Laine?

The 18-year-old compared himself to six-time Rocket Richard Trophy-winner Alex Ovechkin, telling TSN's Gino Reda it will take him five years to be like the Washington Capitals captain.

And the 18-year-old's ambitions don't stop there. "I have the best ability to become the best player in the NHL someday," Laine said, according to Sportsnet's Matt Brown.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Exactly. Can't let them have the satisfaction. It's not the players that make you hate them, it's the media and some of the fans.

Your hate is more than welcome.

It's a pretty steep hope hoping for Matthews to become RNH, he's already better than him. :laugh:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I really love the people who complain about Leafs prospects and players being "shoved down their throat."

Is someone putting a gun to your head and forcing you to come into these threads and read them? No, you're coming in and reading them upon your own volition.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
I really love the people who complain about Leafs prospects and players being "shoved down their throat."

Is someone putting a gun to your head and forcing you to come into these threads and read them? No, you're coming in and reading them upon your own volition.

What about when you're watching CBC/TSN/SNET and it's the Matthews show all game, even when he's not in the game and it's not Toronto playing?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There is what, 3 Galchenyuk threads on the main boards, and people are complaining about one Matthews thread? :laugh:

Matthews has surpassed expectations at every stage he has been at. Looked great this pre season. He has the potential to be the 2nd best player in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad