The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
You have to understand the needless hyperbole though. Matthews was drafted 1st overall - we all know he's talented. What's the purpose of starting a thread saying he will "be a Sakic" when in reality that would mean having a near 20 year career with elite numbers and winding up among the top scorers of all time? None of this could possibly happen for two decades. Is it that hard to see why these threads are beyond obnoxious?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You realize that if he did become that he'd be the best player in the NHL, right?

That would arguably still not be a better player than Crosby. Besides, it's not out of the question at all. Look how good he is already and he hasn't played a regular season NHL game yet and he's just turned 19. Would you actually be shocked if he ended up being arguably the best player at some point? If so I don't think you are aware of the potential he has.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
What about when you're watching CBC/TSN/SNET and it's the Matthews show all game, even when he's not in the game and it's not Toronto playing?

All based in Toronto. TSN & SNET are owned by Bell & Rogers, who in turn own the Leafs.

Isn't it great?

More Leafs please. Personally I can't get enough. It is Canada's team after all.:naughty:

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
sure bud... compare a player that havent played a game yet to a legend of the game

posters like you are posters that makes your fanbase look like a piece of **** :facepalm:

The crazy thing is, he might not even end up the best of Toronto's 3 top prospects. Marner is looking like a rich mans Patty Kane, and Will Nye the scoring guy has the potential to become the best Swedish forward since Forsberg.

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I think he has begun to be a little overrated at this point but it's pretty normal for a 1st overall pick. This 1st overall pick ended up being drafted by Toronto so is anyone really surprised?

He's looked good no doubt but I still have him in the same range of player as MacKinnon/Eichel. I'd be surprised if he puts up a rookie year as good as MacKinnon and he's an entire year older then he was when he entered the league.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That would arguably still not be a better player than Crosby. Besides, it's not out of the question at all. Look how good he is already and he hasn't played a regular season NHL game yet and he's just turned 19. Would you actually be shocked if he ended up being arguably the best player at some point? If so I don't think you are aware of the potential he has.

I think he's going to be one of the best players in the league, but yes I would be shocked if he ended up arguably better than McDavid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Yes.

The most talented player on the planet is Connor McDavid. McDavid can do things no other hockey player can do at speeds unprecedented. We haven't even seen his best, the McDavid Era is just beginning.

Matthews is a great player, future top 5 player likely. He's NHL ready right now and has a very polished game that is rare for someone his age. But he's not in the same conversation as McDavid.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
That would arguably still not be a better player than Crosby. Besides, it's not out of the question at all. Look how good he is already and he hasn't played a regular season NHL game yet and he's just turned 19. Would you actually be shocked if he ended up being arguably the best player at some point?

Yes.

If so I don't think you are aware of the potential he has.

Oh man, guess I'm just a hater or in denial.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
ITT lots of people who aren't familiar with dubeys posting style. I don't think I've ever seen a post of his where he wasn't being sarcastic.

As for the attention Matthews is getting, yeah, of course the fact that he's a Toronto prospect plays a huge part in it. But he's the 1st overall. A 1st overall in any Canadian market would get this much attention.

Mr Donald Hangrider*

Dec 20, 2015
Most if not all of my colleagues around the league would agree that AM is going to be a fine player and likely a top player in the league. However you will NOT find anyone that would take him over McDavid. Connor is on a level all his own. He is the single most valuable player in the entire league (trade value wise) and that will not change for the next 12 years at least.

AM will likely be a top 5 player in the NHL throughout his prime. Connor has the potential to be a top 5 player OF ALL TIME when he hangs his skates up.

End of discussion. Mods, lock this thread.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Most if not all of my colleagues around the league would agree that AM is going to be a fine player and likely a top player in the league. However you will NOT find anyone that would take him over McDavid. Connor is on a level all his own. He is the single most valuable player in the entire league (trade value wise) and that will not change for the next 12 years at least.

AM will likely be a top 5 player in the NHL throughout his prime. Connor has the potential to be a top 5 player OF ALL TIME when he hangs his skates up.

End of discussion. Mods, lock this thread.

Are you lost?

Nobody who was serious has said he's better or is going to be better than McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad