The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
What about when you're watching CBC/TSN/SNET and it's the Matthews show all game, even when he's not in the game and it's not Toronto playing?

Do Leafs fans have complete control over what CBC/TSN/SNET decides to put on?

No, they don't. Go hate on them instead of the players and fans.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Where did they end up and why is the real question.

It's a fact that the Toronto media/fandom is sensational and over-the-top. Every single play or comment is deconstructed publicly, ad nauseum. Not player-friendly at all.

I really don't think we we want to go here when Yashin, Spezza, Alfredsson, Cunneyworth all played elsewhere. Until Karlsson ends his career in Ottawa we haven't had a drafted captain end his career with our team.

But as for Matthews (which this thread is about?) he certainly has the shot delivery that Sakic has, and the two-way play. Just remains to be seen how he is surrounded. Hopefully not too well...

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I like Matthews, he is a great player with what seems like a good attitude and I hope he does well in the NHL, but the way Leaf fans act, I can see how other fans would want him to fail. Don't forget Leaf fans the only reason you have Matthews is because your team was the worst in the league last year and have been awful for more than a decade.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I like Matthews, he is a great player with what seems like a good attitude and I hope he does well in the NHL, but the way Leaf fans act, I can see how other fans would want him to fail. Don't forget Leaf fans the only reason you have Matthews is because your team was the worst in the league last year and have been awful for more than a decade.

They got Matthews because they won the lottery. Ask Edmonton, who finished 28th the year prior and got McDavid, or finished 29th last year and got 4th OA.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
If Matthews can be over a ppg for 5 years like Tavares...we'll see.
Let's put it this way, Tavares is closer to Sakic than Matthews is. In a lot of ways.

But if Matthews becomes HALF the player Sakic was, Toronto will be pretty happy. They did like that Sundin guy, after all. Not that he led them to any sort of success.

I'm not a Leafs fans but I think Matthews is a gonna be a superstar, even tho he's getting a lot of hype because he's a Leaf it's mostly justified because he is that good.
He's not Sakic good. At least, not yet. We'll re-evaluate this topic in TEN YEARS. When we've seen how consistent he is as an NHL player.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I'm liking the needless uproar over the comparisons thrown around in this thread, it's almost as if previous #1 picks have never been compared to HOFers/inevitable HOFers. Hell, Laine and Pulju got some lofty comparisons thrown their way this year

Ofcourse the "correct" answer here is 'time'; let's wait and see how Auston develops.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Let's put it this way, Tavares is closer to Sakic than Matthews is. In a lot of ways.

But if Matthews becomes HALF the player Sakic was, Toronto will be pretty happy. They did like that Sundin guy, after all. Not that he led them to any sort of success.

He's not Sakic good. At least, not yet. We'll re-evaluate this topic in TEN YEARS. When we've seen how consistent he is as an NHL player.
Calm down man.. It's a comparison people that have coached Matthews have stated. Marc Crawford specifically. Deal with it. The kid is that good. Obviously if he has a career like sakics many leaf fans will be ecstatic. I'm not claiming that he'll be better than him by any means though. Also no, if Matthews is half the player sakic was Toronto will not be "pretty happy".. What exactly is half the player sakic was anyway? A perennial 40 point per season player? Nazem Kadri? I guess the responses are expected with a Stupid thread like this.

OT but I think another player that has a Joe Sakic type of style is Tyson Jost. Avs fans will love this kid. And by saying that I'm not saying he IS Joe Sakic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

You seem quite mad that the Leafs have a player like Matthews. I think that says more about how good he is/will be than any specific player comparisons.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
According to another thread we're winning the cup this year so i guess so. But yeah we're really excited about this kids talent and compete level. I don't want guys on the squad who are ok with mediocrity, always expect more of yourself. That's one common trait among all the best players in every sport, even if you're not the most talented if you grind good things will happen. Luckily for him he has a pretty good skill set and were confident in the management/coaching group. I'm not sure about the Sakic/Tavares reference but he's gonna be one hell of a player.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I hope he becomes the face of the franchise, the NHL is really lacking star power these days, but the last few drafts, "generational talent" has been thrown around.

I hope Matthews becomes a top tier player, in a league with potential future stars like McDavid, Gaudreau, Eichel, Ekblad, ect

NHL could bank from this.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Why is there so much whining in this thread? So pathetic.

Marc Crawford, Matthews' coach in Switzerland, who's also coached Sakic, has constantly compared Matthews to Sakic, but I guess he's some Leaf shill too.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
The amount of hate Matthews gets on this board because he's a Leaf is honestly pathetic. Former coaches and analysts have compared Matthews to Sakic...if you armchair GM's and coaches wanna dispute that go ahead, but it's really not hard to see the comparison and you guys putting Matthews down isn't going to change that. Matthews obviously isn't gonna come out of the gate this season and score 40-50 goals like Sakic did every year but the potential in him is sky high.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's a human being, so at some point, the Toronto pressure cooker will likely destroy him, as it did with Sendin, Phaneuf, Kessel etc. It's a no-win situation for a player. I mean, there were already actual articles and reports dedicated to him breaking glass in a practice, and he ALREADY seemed annoyed by that....the season hasn't even started yet.

How exactly was Sundin "destroyed"? The guy was here from 1995-2008 and was a PPG player his entire time here. :laugh:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sundin loved playing in Toronto. He loved it so much he refused to waive his NTC for a chance at a cup. Kessel and Phaneuf both signed long-term extensions.

A chance at the Cup?? In his last few years the Leafs were waaaaaaay out of it and he refused to be a rental at the deadline. There were no illusions about a Cup in Toronto

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Ok? The worst team in the league has the best chance at 1st overall. What's your point?

A chance at the Cup?? In his last few years the Leafs were waaaaaaay out of it and he refused to be a rental at the deadline. There were no illusions about a Cup in Toronto

He's saying he loved Toronto so much he didn't want to be traded to a cup contender for a shot at the cup, not that Sundin felt Toronto had a shot at the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad