TV: The Leftovers

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Came to echo the sentiments of Carrie Coon. Nora Durst is one of my favorite all-time characters.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Obviously Kevin wasn't needed to save the world. Unless nuking everyone in that alternate reality did save the world. Like working in IT, right? The only time you get noticed is if something breaks. So, maybe Kevin did do it, but people don't realize because it worked? Who knows.

Why he has the power to come back from the dead though, well....

Last episode is clearly Nora focused. The flashforward to old Nora in ep 1 has me all sorts of ****ed up. Is it possible she gets zapped, and it works, and she reunites with her family, but then she just grows old in this universe and her life plays out and she forgets about Kevin?

I really have no ****ing clue.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Stole this from a review:

"Before getting into the details of the episode, let me give you a quick take on it. This was an episode about dualities: there were two books (the Book of Kevin, and Kevin’s romance novel), there were two Kevin (International Assassin, and President of the United States), and there were two worlds (our world, and “the other place”). The Sudden Departure was this event that opened a rift in our universe, it split it in half, with our world on the one end, and this other, larger universe that we don’t understand on the other. The same happened to Kevin, who after the Departure, also became two Kevins, the cop who wanted to pretend that nothing happened, and the Kevin who was suddenly able to hear voices and visit this other world. As the series concludes, this episode offers an attempt to solve that duality that is splitting the world, and Kevin apart."

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Talk about missed opportunities. They could have had an easy and quick shot of one of those nukes landing right on Evie.

I had this feeling right as they were turning the key to the nukes that maybe the departed would suddenly show up back in the "real World."

Yeah, Kevin and Nora are still big here. Maybe he keeps her from being departed next week or if she does depart he "dies" and stays departed with her.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Stole this from a review:

"Before getting into the details of the episode, let me give you a quick take on it. This was an episode about dualities: there were two books (the Book of Kevin, and Kevin’s romance novel), there were two Kevin (International Assassin, and President of the United States), and there were two worlds (our world, and “the other placeâ€). The Sudden Departure was this event that opened a rift in our universe, it split it in half, with our world on the one end, and this other, larger universe that we don’t understand on the other. The same happened to Kevin, who after the Departure, also became two Kevins, the cop who wanted to pretend that nothing happened, and the Kevin who was suddenly able to hear voices and visit this other world. As the series concludes, this episode offers an attempt to solve that duality that is splitting the world, and Kevin apart."

Talk about missed opportunities. They could have had an easy and quick shot of one of those nukes landing right on Evie.

I had this feeling right as they were turning the key to the nukes that maybe the departed would suddenly show up back in the "real World."

Yeah, Kevin and Nora are still big here. Maybe he keeps her from being departed next week or if she does depart he "dies" and stays departed with her.

Damn, posts like this give me hope and optimism of what this show could be, and ways in which it could still end. We might have something epic in 6 days... or we might not.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think saving the world was the point.

This episode strongly hinted that this other world was more about how Kevin is coping with things and less to do with anyone else. So it maybe more in Kevin's mind then anything else.

Kevin keeps claiming all he wants to do is go home, but Pattie rightfully calls him out on the fact that he keeps going back to this world.

It seems to go back all the way to season 1 wit Kevin just not being content with his normal family life. He can't sit still for whatever reason.

Nuking the other world seems to be him trying to finally understand the most important thing to him right now is his life in the real world with Nora and his family.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think saving the world was the point.

This episode strongly hinted that this other world was more about how Kevin is coping with things and less to do with anyone else. So it maybe more in Kevin's mind then anything else.

Kevin keeps claiming all he wants to do is go home, but Pattie rightfully calls him out on the fact that he keeps going back to this world.

It seems to go back all the way to season 1 wit Kevin just not being content with his normal family life. He can't sit still for whatever reason.

Nuking the other world seems to be him trying to finally understand the most important thing to him right now is his life in the real world with Nora and his family.
The world ended up not needing to be saved because there was no apocalypse, which is why everyone is confused as to why he is there to begin with.

I think Nora goes through the machine and Kevin goes with her or goes to get her. No one has ever come back but Kevin should obviously have the ability to do it and make sure Nora makes it back. That's the only way I see us getting some of the unanswered questions about the series resolved.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So sad that the show is coming to a close on Sunday :( Such an amazing and unique show. It will be a nice birthday present to have the final episode air that night :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did Laurie ever tell the others where Nora is? She was supposed to do that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I hope I'm not expecting too much, but I really hope this show has the finale it deserves. A good finale, and this will be one of the best shows of the decade.

Excited because I don't know what to expect. If nothing else, it won't be predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad