TV: The Leftovers

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, what are we looking for tonight?

-What happens at the machine? And why is it taking an entire day to do this?
-What is the connection to the end of the season premiere and "Sarah?"
-Is Matt doing to die? (I think he's going to die, or...something happens to him)
-Will there be an explanation for everything, or are we going to be left to figure everything out ourselves?

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
So, what are we looking for tonight?

-What happens at the machine? And why is it taking an entire day to do this?
-What is the connection to the end of the season premiere and "Sarah?"
-Is Matt doing to die? (I think he's going to die, or...something happens to him)
-Will there be an explanation for everything, or are we going to be left to figure everything out ourselves?

There won't be an explanation for everything, that's for sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's not unfortunate. I don't need answers to everything.

Just listen to this going back to the Season 2 intro

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't know why people are still wondering if the departure will be explained. Damon Lindelof has said before that it won't be - end of discussion, stop asking.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't know why people are still wondering if the departure will be explained. Damon Lindelof has said before that it won't be - end of discussion, stop asking.

Well they kind of told us what had happened to them earlier on, we just didn't know where they went....obviously the finale revealed they were sent to a alternate reality in the same place but with only the 2% being there. I wasn't expecting them to reveal it but it was a nice twist. Especially Nora realizing how lucky her family was to all be sent there together in a world of orphans, as she put it.

I thought it was a solid farewell to one of my favorite shows of the decade.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think in time I'll enjoy the finale's greatness than I do right now, I found the ending to be very bittersweet. I don't know if it's meant to seem that way depending on your view. They also gave you the sad music at the end. It technically had the positive ending, but I still feel gutted about the events that led to it: Nora living in recluse, Kevin trying to find her, it taking 20 years to get there, Nora's experience in the other world, and then the clear pain that she was living in. And the slow realization that this was one single timeline. I felt really sad about that, and I didn't feel the final scene made up for it. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I need to process it, but they actually explained things way more then I expected.

One lingering thing I'm confused about is Laurie. So she just didn't go through with it, or was never killing herself and we never saw her pop up?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I think Laurie just changed her mind once she received a call from her kids. I liked the ending and was pretty satisfied with it. It could be that Nora is lying or saying the truth. Which is the entire premise of the show: supernaturalism vs people trying to cope.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Laurie just changed her mind once she received a call from her kids. I liked the ending and was pretty satisfied with it. It could be that Nora is lying or saying the truth. Which is the entire premise of the show: supernaturalism vs people trying to cope.

That is the most likely reason why Laurie isn't dead, but it is a bit cheap IMO. It feels almost like a retcon or that that episode ending was a trick.

This is a nitpick though. The finalie as a whole was excellent. Nora really makes for an excellent mircosim of the world as a whole and how the departure broke it. Bringing some resolution to her was excellent.

It didn't even occur to me that Nora could of been lying. I really took her story at face value, but I see how that fits too. Brings some ambiguity to what is going on.

It is sad how long it took, but it was really nice to see Kevin and Nora get back together. Always rooted for those two crazy kids.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
An interview I just read implied they changed their mind on Laurie later on in production. She was supposed to die, but they watched it back and didn't think it make sense she would go through with it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I take the story to be true because I want it to be. It could be untrue, but given what we've seen it can't not be true. I think it makes the most sense that it is true. Kevin fixed his story to be true and I don't think they'd live happily ever after if she was lying.

I had a feeling that Laurie might not be dead because we didn't see her the death world, and I think he would have. I was fine with her being dead, maybe because everyone felt she was. The scene where it looked like she did, didn't feel like it made sense otherwise. I guess they decided that she couldn't have decided she could do that and that Nora needed a link back home.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine it was a lie...it was way too description, especially with her husband being happy and seeing him with another woman... and frankly, the thought that it was a lie and that she never went through would ruin the finale.

Well, she did have 20 years (or so) to come up with the story. I don't know, I don't feel they looked like they aged 20 years and are into their late 50's, with Nora riding bikes all around the countryside. Maybe that's me trying to convince myself.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I loved it. Loved.

In hindsight, the 'split worlds' is the predictable reasoning behind the sudden departure. But, even if you do come up with that, you'd probably never take the next step that juxtapositions Nora's life where she loses her whole family among 2% departed, and her family's life where they 'only' lose Nora among 98% departed.

I'm taking Nora's story at face-value.

Fantastic show.

Here's a question... the scar on Kevin's chest he claims is from his cardiologist... is it from his cardiologist, or is he making that up and it's the scar from his time as president?

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His time as president didn't actually exist, I'm guessing it's a condition from a procedure given the fact that he died 4 times

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Show was probably one of the most uneven shows I can remember. Some episodes were truly transcendent, while many others just grasped at it. Season 1 was probably the best, as the characters served to show us a town (as a proxy for the world) dealing with the crisis of the departure. Seasons 2 and 3 drifted gradually away from being about the world to being about the individual characters. Season 2 still gave us a different setting (Miracle) to expose us to the hysteria of the post-departure world, but after the setting was established, it settled into the character drama. Season 3 went full-on character drama.

There was only so much entertainment value that the various little easter eggs could provide. Stuff like the same man being in Kevin's hotel and on Matt's boat ("God"), the hysteric man ranting about a nuclear event in the airport only to be followed by the crazed Frenchman launching a nuke, Kevin's pacemaker scar after Kevin's twin brother's heart implant, etc. That kind of stuff was enjoyable and made it mildly rewarding to be a fan of the show, but it wasn't enough to carry the show as a whole.

It was a demanding and somewhat ambitious series, that sometimes hit its notes. Props for doing something different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad