TV: The Leftovers

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Really? He drank poison and was buried for 2 days then came back, how exactly does that fall in the realm of possibility

Was it two days? hmm... I may have overlooked that.

I was thinking more along the lines of - there's no guarantee that the poison would cause the same reaction for him as for everyone else; it could be a different dosage, different concentration, he threw up after passing out, etc. And as for being buried (for a short time, at least...) it was a rather shallow hole he was put in so it wouldn't be outlandish to think some oxygen got trapped in there with him or he was able to get just enough to stay alive through his nose while passed out. But two days, I dunno.

I still really have no idea what to make of this show. Is it going to try to make a big religious point at the end? Will it be pro or anti? or nothing of the sort? My wife doesn't see the point and officially quit watching last night, leaving me to sort it out on my own and with the help of this thread and online recaps/reviews.

Also do we know that he was playing God and wasn't actually god?

No, I don't think we do...

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The more Matt episodes I see, the more I think that none of what happens really matters and that the show is just a commentary on religion.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Was that the second time in the hotel? I'm foggy on what was going on towards the end of the season.

Also do we know that he was playing God and wasn't actually god?

The guy on the bridge in the first hotel visit and the guy who told Kevin to sing in the second.

I think he was just playing. My guess is the lion scene at the end was meant to be a reverse version of Daniel and the lions.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The guy on the bridge in the first hotel visit and the guy who told Kevin to sing in the second.

I think he was just playing. My guess is the lion scene at the end was meant to be a reverse version of Daniel and the lions.

I'd imagine it was necessary for Matt to see him die. Eventually, these people in Australia are going to kill Kevin. It's gonna happen. When Kevin dies, he's already tied to this 'god' character, so I imagine they'll be together when they're "dead".

I don't think the last we see of that character is being eaten by the lion. And I'd all but guarantee he will see Matt again in person.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
How do we know the next episode doesn't pick up right at that moment, the camera sways sideways past Matt, and shows "God" getting up out from under the lion, dusting himself off and beginning to walk away?

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
That episode was incredible, only two more to go. I'm really gonna miss this show

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh man, that scene where Nora, Matt and Laurie are at the machine. Oh my god WHAT HAPPENED?

And then Laurie and Kevin together the last time.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Oh man, that scene where Nora, Matt and Laurie are at the machine. Oh my god WHAT HAPPENED?

And then Laurie and Kevin together the last time.

At the very begining of the season when Nora was chasing, it felt like it was so she could use it. Then this whole episode with her and Laurie talking keep making me think Laurie knew she wanted to use it. Buuuut, Nora tells that story and I start thinking maybe she means she wants other people to have closer and not take that away from them...Next, Laurie does her stuff with Kevin and on the boat, and I think Nora is gone....

Then I remember the flash forward!?!?!?! WTF am I suppose to think!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At the very begining of the season when Nora was chasing, it felt like it was so she could use it. Then this whole episode with her and Laurie talking keep making me think Laurie knew she wanted to use it. Buuuut, Nora tells that story and I start thinking maybe she means she wants other people to have closer and not take that away from them...Next, Laurie does her stuff with Kevin and on the boat, and I think Nora is gone....

Then I remember the flash forward!?!?!?! WTF am I suppose to think!

Nora is in a clip for next week, so she's not gone, I don't think. I guess she could be dead and is there with Kevin, but she didn't get *that* music accompanying her in that scene.

There's a missing link there since Nora isn't about having closure. She also doesn't want to die.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The flash-forward of Nora earlier in the season really confuses things. Does she go to "that place"? Does the radiation just **** her up real bad and make her look older?

When they showed Laurie on the boat, I let out an audible "No ****ing way". What a last scene, getting the call from Jill, if that truly was the last scene for her.

Two more...

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I was drifting in and out of sleep watching the last episode, i need to go back and rewatch. The last scene with Laurie though, getting the phone call...:handclap:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Still don't really know what they're building towards. But this is a bit of a clue for me:

I just realized Reza Aslan, a religious scholar and notorious apologist, is in the opening credits as a consulting producer.

I've seen enough clips of Aslan to be able to conclude fairly confidently that he would not take on a role as a consulting producer for a series that will ultimately conclude that religion is nonsense, belief is pointless, life is meaningless and so on. There's a deeper message they're going for, or he wouldn't be involved.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Spoil tagged below are the titles of the last two episodes, and the synopsis of the next episode.

[spoil]E7: The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother) ...
Synopsis: On a mission of mercy, Kevin assumes an alternate identity.

I wonder if this is the episode where Kevin goes under, and to the "dead people place" his "twin brother" referencing Kevin's "alter-ego" as a cop, or a hitman, like in season 2?

E8: The Book of Nora

I have no idea. Probably pick up where we left Nora last night, she gets zapped, and everything that happens after? Closure? [/spoil]

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well we know from the next episode preview that they are going to try and kill Kevin and send him back to the hotel.

I'm curious if Kevin does make it back there if he encounters Laurie or maybe even Nora depending on how her experience goes.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Damn - really gonna miss this show

Never in any show I have ever watched have I ever been so confused and interested at the same time. I have zero knowledge of any religion references so it does add to the confusion but I am so pumped to see where they go in these last 2 episodes

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Just speculating but im wondering if Kevin goes back and Nora is there and he finds a way to bring her back, and shes pissed about it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad