Friedman: The Leafs are very interested in Tyler Motte. Might take a top 40 pick for Canucks to move him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's the price going to be next Monday? That's the important question. There's a lot of public posturing going on right now 6 days out.

I can understand opting for nothing over a low return so as to not get the reputation of talking tough, but ultimately buckling if the league waits it out. This is a high hill to die on for a rental like this, though.
Honestly I don't even want to trade them.
If they don't get what they want they will probably press to re-sign him.
Goodrow got $3.61 and Coleman got $4.9 on their new deals. Pending UFA Pearson got $3.25m.
Motte will get $3m+ in free agency so if they can get him long-term on a deal lower than that it would be great.
Would rather the Canucks trade Pearson and then re-sign Motte with the money.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Motte is absolutely worth something around the 50th pick in the draft.

People need to understand his production in context. He was a pure fourth line crash and bang guy up until the bubble. Since then, he’s shown much more offense to his game - both with and without the puck.

The bubble, pandemic year, and this year (84 gp) - he has 17 goals and 11 assists while playing with players who do not produce a lick of offense. Again, this is basically a 1.5 year stretch of consistent third line production with no PP time in a hard 15 mpg playing with players whose offensive talent is that of a 4th liner or less.

28 points in the previous 84 given the context is extremely impressive.

Reasons he won’t return a first round pick unlike Barclay Goodrow -

1.. He is a UFA this summer while Goodrow had an extra year at $925k making him an insane bargain.
2. Injury history - Motte has frequently missed games.
He's a very effective player. He has always been a player I thought would be ideal for the Leafs. I just don't see even top 50 pick return TBH. At the end of the day, he would not get any more opportunity in TOR, or any contending team for that matter, than he does in VAN. His PK abilities would likely be utilized after Kampf and Marner, who together headline a top-5 PK in the NHL. I am not even entirely sure he would replace either Micheyev or Kerfoot on PK2. So the acquisition would be entirely for 4th line minutes, 3rd line at best.

@UrbanImpact mentioned:
Going into the 3rd period if the Leafs are up by 1 or 2 goals I would 100% play Motte more than the likes of

Marner
Nylander
Kase
Mikheyev
Engvall

Which I really don't get at all. He may be the headliner on the 32nd ranked PK and out on the ice in the final minutes of Canucks games, but I can almost guarantee you he'd not see more ice time than almost everyone on that list. The only exception might be Nylander.

My point has never been that Motte is a poor player, but I just don't see how Patrick Alvin was offered a top 40 pick for a guy who has played his entire career in a bottom 6 role, and is on an expiring contract, and somehow the value wasn't enough. If I were a Canucks fan and heard that, I'd be shaking my head. To me, it is a clear attempt by the media to bolster the asking price. I really don't think there is any chance Motte returns a 2nd, let alone a top 40 pick. But maybe that's just me. I'm just a Leafs fan who lives in Vancouver and admittedly I have a Leafs bias. But I do watch a ton of Canucks games on TV and in person, and although I've always liked Motte, that's just how I see it.

All that said, I would absolutely love some sort of package that sees Schenn and Motte to the Leafs. Although based on the reported valuation of Motte, I cannot imagine what the price tag would be for those 2 players.

Reactions: Peen

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Another day another Canuck player to be traded for something good.

This is about the new canuck management leeking players names to try to create a bidding.war and not about the actual value of the players.

I believe this now makes a rumour thread for about 10 players on their current roster. Since new management.

Good for l their fans to have pro active management but bad for the players on their team

Reactions: Twine Tickler

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
The leafs biggest problem, even over goaltending, is the inability to close out a lead. Motte does absolutely all of the ugly, thankless work that’s never shown on any of the stat sheets. How many leaf forwards would dump the puck in, throw a hit on the forecheck, race back to catch a potential rush, block a shot, clear the zone, and change? Bunting and maybe Spezza? If you get motte, you get an instant fan favourite with no quit whatsoever, and will instantly be one of your hardest working players in the defensive zone. These are the players you need to grind out wins, and plugs don’t cut it if you want to make it past the first round.

Besides, I’d be almost certain that Dubas would look to re-sign Motte if he trades for him. He’d be that integral to your success, and that’s why it would come with a cost.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
In other words, Vancouver isn't interested in trading Motte unless it's for a big overpayment.
I think this is a fair way to put it. At least you are willing to accept a top 40 pick for Motte is a massive overpayment. I am not entirely sure I see the point for the Canucks in doing this. They have an outstanding goaltender, and the team has looked massively better in front of Budreau, but I just don't see them coming out of the Pacific even if they somehow make the playoffs. Which should be a clear indication to sell given the fact that the Pacific division is the easiest route to the WCF.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the Canucks going for it this year is chasing a bit of fools gold. But then again, the Aquilini's epitomize fools, so that call may be above Alvin and Rutherford's head.

They can always try and resign him this coming offseason. IMO, the smart thing would be to move the player. Especially if they were offered a top 40 pick (which I sincerely doubt)

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
He would be very valuable to a contender

See, that's the problem. The Leafs aren't a contender. Tyler is a player you add when your team is deep & solid at every position, just looking to add that x factor with a guy like him. The Leafs have blueline concerns (a top 4 RD at minimum) and if Campbell doesn't get his game back, in net.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The leafs biggest problem, even over goaltending, is the inability to close out a lead. Motte does absolutely all of the ugly, thankless work that’s never shown on any of the stat sheets. How many leaf forwards would dump the puck in, throw a hit on the forecheck, race back to catch a potential rush, block a shot, clear the zone, and change? Bunting and maybe Spezza? If you get motte, you get an instant fan favourite with no quit whatsoever, and will instantly be one of your hardest working players in the defensive zone. These are the players you need to grind out wins, and plugs don’t cut it if you want to make it past the first round.

Besides, I’d be almost certain that Dubas would look to re-sign Motte if he trades for him. He’d be that integral to your success, and that’s why it would come with a cost.
Motte strikes me as a player the Leafs have kicked tires on forever. A la David Kampf. But there is still an acquisition cost for Motte that makes sense. It's just not top 40 pick. If the price doesn't make sense, I can almost guarantee thy will just wait till July 1 and overpay to sign him to a deal like Kampf's (ie. overpay slightly).

Kase, Simmonds, Micheyev, Kampf all play that exact style you speak of. Sure Motte might do it with a bit more intensity, but it's really not anymore effective than those 4. If it was, he'd have more pts to his name. It's hardly like Kampf and Micheyev are offensive juggernauts and they seem to find a way to make good on their strong forechecking on occasion.

Again, I'd love Motte but not at that price. Totally fine with Alvin asking for that, it's just not going to happen IMO

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Washington owns Winnipeg's 2nd round pick, so they could trade that.

But I think they're the only playoff team in possession of a non-playoff team's 2nd round pick.
And Arizona has all the other picks. If Draft was held today they would have picks 31,32,34,36,42,43,47

Any projected late 1st rounders at the draft who are still there after the 30th pick are going to the Arizona.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Motte's a high end 3rd line winger. I am not really sure if it's a priority for Toronto given their current defensive/goaltending struggles.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
related question -- you often hear fans say of favs like Motte 'trade then re-sign in the summer' ...but does this ever pan out? can anyone think of examples of this actually happening? i cant, and wondering why....

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Motte would be a good under the radar pickup. That is not a good under the radar price. Laughably high actually. Could see him returning a 3rd + something else that's not worthless.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And Arizona has all the other picks. If Draft was held today they would have picks 31,32,34,36,42,43,47

Any projected late 1st rounders at the draft who are still there after the 30th pick are going to the Arizona.
Imagine they pull a Boston 2015 and whiff on all of them

Reactions: CDN24
Feb 19, 2018
He is an absolute beast! We love him here in Vancouver and I’d personally like to resign him instead of any pick in the second round. His salary is super attractive this year as well.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
related question -- you often hear fans say of favs like Motte 'trade then re-sign in the summer' ...but does this ever pan out? can anyone think of examples of this actually happening? i cant, and wondering why....

Keith Tkachuk with St Louis is the only one that I think of.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Here's a hot take:

The team that trades for Motte is going to be happier with him than the team that trades for Chiarot.

There's a reason he's Bedard's favourite player, the guy is an absolute honey badger and leaves it all on the ice. He's exactly what contenders look for to anchor the bottom of their lineup.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If the Canucks can get a 2nd round pick or better for Motte, I think the best thing for the Canucks is to take it and go looking for another (and cheaper) player than Motte will be in the coming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: