Friedman: The Leafs are very interested in Tyler Motte. Might take a top 40 pick for Canucks to move him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It was reported over the weekend that Tampa Bay was really interested in Motte and now Friedman is reporting that so are the Leafs. Its no surprise these cup contender teams are interested in Motte as he would be an great addition to their bottom 6 and PK.

Motte may not be a "sexy" name out there and teams in the east arent exposed to his game much but i promise that any team that trades for him will be extremely extremely satisfied with what he would bring to their cup run. Endless motor, elite forecheck, aggressive PKer. I would put him in the top 5 in the league in terms of a player that takes away time and space on forechecks and breakouts for opposing Dmen.

Do note though that the Canucks themselves are very high on Motte and are very much considering on re-signing him if they dont get the offers they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I could see a scenario that Motte is dealt for a 2nd at the TDL, and re signs in Vancouver as a UFA. As much as he has been a good fit for Vancouver, I think Vancouver has been a good fit for him.

I do feel that the Canucks would prefer to have a prospect than a pick.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As good as he can be, the Leafs have at least 2 priorities over forward depth. Neither of which is likely to be addressed before the deadline so I can see Dubas making a move like this as an alternative.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A top 40 pick? So no one is giving them a 1st and I highly doubt one of the bottom 8 teams in the league are trading their 2nd for a UFA.

Maybe if he was signed to a good deal you could get that, but even still I don't see a team trading that much for him

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
A top 40 pick? So no one is giving them a 1st and I highly doubt one of the bottom 8 teams in the league are trading their 2nd for a UFA.

Maybe if he was signed to a good deal you could get that, but even still I don't see a team trading that much for him
Washington owns Winnipeg's 2nd round pick, so they could trade that.

But I think they're the only playoff team in possession of a non-playoff team's 2nd round pick.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
so... basically a first round pick?

That seems... steep for a guy with 7 goals.

I'll leave it to an Oiler fan to not see value on a very good defensive forward that would be a total nightmare to play against in a 7 game series.

Contenders Need to build a team with not just goal scorers. Do you think Tanner Pearson at 12 goals is more valuable than Motte and his 7 goals? If so I've got an ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll leave it to an Oiler fan to not see value on a very good defensive forward that would be a total nightmare to play against in a 7 game series.

Contenders Need to build a team with not just goal scorers. Do you think Tanner Pearson at 12 goals is more valuable than Motte and his 7 goals? If so I've got an ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

And leave it to a Canucks fan to assign impossibly high value to their replaceable part.

Motte has a career high of 16 points and a lengthy injury history. Vancouver can demand a top 40 pick all they like, it doesn't mean they're getting one.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Motte would hit more than the rest of these guys combined, so I doubt Dubas sees him as a logical fit. Need more skill in the bottom 6

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Playoff teams have 1 top 40 pick. That’s their first rounder. Only the bottom 8 nhl teams have a second rounder between 33-40.

So in essence the the guy is saying that the Canucks want a first rounder for Motte.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Exchange rate applied…Toronto needs to pay double the price other teams need to pay.

Motte doesn’t get a top 50 pick. If he does then just about e everyone else will cost a 1st.

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
Doesn't make sense to me.

Leafs PK forward this year is not the main problem, it is the shutdown and 3rd pair of D.

The Leafs PK right now at 2nd place in whole league (89.1%). They also won the most faceoffs (56.1%).

Plus, their PK and 3rd/4th line guy rarely injured this year (Kampf playing all game, Engvall, Simmonds and Spezza played 90%, Mikheyev is keep playing after recovered, Kase playing less but still 40+ games out of 59 played games).

So, Leafs fans should say no to this proposal logically. But who am I kidding, Leafs fan is always different from others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad