Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: The Silent Beast

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We were screwed out of 3 Calder awards by injury for 2 with Nuge and McDavid, and earlier, with Gretz getting screwed by the NHL's petty rules. Later, Sergei Makarov comes into the league and wins the Calder at age 31 (of course, as a Flame).
But, but, but the Soviet National Team and CSKA Moscow weren’t “pro” hockey so Sergei was a legitimate choice. Right?

Stupid NHL.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
That’s a fairly standard starting goalie these days no? Ulmark literally won the vezna with 49 GP.
True, didn't realise that both him and Shesty in 2022 had so few starts.

I take everything back and demand a retroactive Calder for Skinner! :sarcasm:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Another post season Houdini act out of our beloved RNH.

2 goals in his last 20 playoff games going back to last years playoffs.

Shades of a late career Jason Allison out there. Good at leeching off an all time PP. Useless at pretty much everything else.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At this rate in the playoffs he is an elite special teams player and a low impact ES forward. It is what it is. We aren't paying him to be a Draisaitl level of player. When we have a 3rd pairing defenseman making $9.25 million and a goalie making $5 million to be sitting in the minors, Nuge is not a major issue cap wise.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
He's the 5th most important guy on the pp. I remember when everyone was so worried Barrie would be irreplaceable and Bouchard far exceeded with his bombs.

He does nothing great and is our Mitch marner when it comes to playoffs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid's comment was the same thing every coach he has ever had has said...."Even when he is not producing he does so many little things that help you win"... I said this before, but not bad for a ghost. And yet if the Oilers lose a game next series there is a pretty decent chance he will be a target once again.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid's comment was the same thing every coach he has ever had has said...."Even when he is not producing he does so many little things that help you win"... I said this before, but not bad for a ghost. And yet if the Oilers lose a game next series there is a pretty decent chance he will be a target once again.
I found it pretty telling that we have our two best players were pretty quick to defend the bottom six in media appearances, and I don't think it's just cliche "gotta stick up for teammates" sort of way.

Kind of seeing it with McDavid who I think did struggle (especially for his standard) in the past games, but even just the highlight reel has him putting pressure on the opposition that just didn't result in goals.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

And all while being on an absolutely insanely team friendly deal. People complain about him even when he’s PPG+, but he’s our 7th highest paid player.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
And all while being on an absolutely insanely team friendly deal. People complain about him even when he’s PPG+, but he’s our 7th highest paid player.
I agree with all this - though there are times where the criticism is warranted. If McDavid and/or Draisaitl has an off night, it shouldn't be crazy for us to expect him to step up and take over as the offensive leader every once in a while. When the team is firing and he's just quietly going about his business, it's all good, but sometimes I get frustrated that on an off-night for the big guys, he also struggles to get much going. I think it's reasonable to feel this way - just because he's on a team-friendly deal and has good overall production doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to come through with a big goal a bit more often than he has been.

He did the job in game 7. Not meant to be a "dump on RNH" post - just one to point out that being on a team-friendly deal doesn't mean he shouldn't be expected to pick up 29 and 97's slack at certain times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I agree with all this - though there are times where the criticism is warranted. If McDavid and/or Draisaitl has an off night, it shouldn't be crazy for us to expect him to step up and take over as the offensive leader every once in a while. When the team is firing and he's just quietly going about his business, it's all good, but sometimes I get frustrated that on an off-night for the big guys, he also struggles to get much going. I think it's reasonable to feel this way - just because he's on a team-friendly deal and has good overall production doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to come through with a big game goal a bit more often than he has been.

He did the job in game 7. Not meant to be a "dump on RNH" post - just one to point out that being on a team-friendly deal doesn't mean he shouldn't be expected to pick up 29 and 97's slack at certain times.

To an extent I agree, but the difference between Nuge having an off night and say Kane having an off night is Nuge still goes out and plays the shutdown role, and leads our PK. Even his off nights you’re still benefiting from having him in the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad