Friedman: The Leafs are very interested in Tyler Motte. Might take a top 40 pick for Canucks to move him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What's the price going to be next Monday? That's the important question. There's a lot of public posturing going on right now 6 days out.

I can understand opting for nothing over a low return so as to not get the reputation of talking tough, but ultimately buckling if the league waits it out. This is a high hill to die on for a rental like this, though.

Reactions: TML1990

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
And leave it to a Canucks fan to assign impossibly high value to their replaceable part.

Motte has a career high of 16 points and a lengthy injury history. Vancouver can demand a top 40 pick all they like, it doesn't mean they're getting one.

Lol are you under the impression that it was me that assigned that it needs to be a top 40 pick for the Canucks to move him?
You must think very highly of me.

Foligno also had 7 goals going into last years deadline. He was 32 and well past his prime. Motte is 27 and dominating.
We've seen 1st round picks get traded away like Halloween Candy before and it should be no surprise if it happens to Motte or a player like him who isnt known for goal scoring.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Seems idiotic to me.

Leafs don't really need another Engvall/Kerfoot/Mikheyev/Kase.

If you're going to add a forward, it's gotta be somebody clearly better than those 4. Tyler Motte is having a career-year right now, with a whopping 14 points.

• Haha
Reactions: TML1990

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Crazzy to read all the comments like he's a 4th liner or 12th forward. Its such a dinosaur way to look at hockey and label players.

Going into the 3rd period if the Leafs are up by 1 or 2 goals I would 100% play Motte more than the likes of

Marner
Nylander
Kase
Mikheyev
Engvall

He would be very valuable to a contender even to a very deep team like Tampa which is why they have been reported to be one of the most interested in Motte.

I would be over the moon with a 1st for him, would probably settle for a 2nd, anything worse id much rather try to re-sign.

As i mentioned before, Motte would be harder to replace with what he brings to the team than replacing someone like Boeser and what he brings to the team which is crazy to say since Motte is just a "4th liner"

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Motte makes sense to me. The Leafs don't really have a playoff ready 13th forward. The top-12 is good and then there is Kyle Clifford next in line. Having a serviceable player like Motte, whether he cracks the top-12 or doesn't would improve depth. There are going to be injuries. I'm not comfortable with there being no one behind them.

Obviously, they're not going to get their ask. That's where negotiations started, we'll see where they finish.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Crazzy to read all the comments like he's a 4th liner or 12th forward. Its such a dinosaur way to look at hockey and label players.

Going into the 3rd period if the Leafs are up by 1 or 2 goals I would 100% play Motte more than the likes of

Marner
Nylander
Kase
Mikheyev
Engvall

He would be very valuable to a contender even to a very deep team like Tampa which is why they have been reported to be one of the most interested in Motte.

I would be over the moon with a 1st for him, would probably settle for a 2nd, anything worse id much rather try to re-sign.

As i mentioned before, Motte would be harder to replace with what he brings to the team than replacing someone like Boeser and what he brings to the team.
There's not a single situation in the world where you play Motte over Marner, not even 1.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol are you under the impression that it was me that assigned that it needs to be a top 40 pick for the Canucks to move him?
You must think very highly of me.

Foligno also had 7 goals going into last years deadline. He was 32 and well past his prime. Motte is 27 and dominating.
We've seen 1st round picks get traded away like Halloween Candy before and it should be no surprise if it happens to Motte or a player like him who isnt known for goal scoring.

You're defending it, meaning I argue with you instead of Elliotte Friedman. Friedman didn't even say they'd get one, just that they'd ask for one. If they get offered a low 2nd rounder for a pending UFA fourth liner, they should take it and run away laughing because that's a good bit of business for a guy you're going to lose anyway. Different story if he's re-signing.

Foligno was Columbus' captain and had a much longer history of being an effective player, and that turned out to be a massive mistake for the Leafs. That's a cautionary tale more than anything.

Looking into his advanced stats he breaks even at XGF% which is impressive considering his deployment, but the rest of his measures are mediocre at best. Someone earlier suggested a Goodrow like scenario where Vancouver kicks in a 3rd to get a (very) low first, maybe that's reasonable here. I just can't see anyone that desperate for Motte.

Should also point out that Motte's size will count against him. The Goodrow comparable is apt, but NHL GM's are dinosaurs and a lot of them will stop reading at 5'10, where guys like Goodrow (and more recently, Sturm) will have higher perceived values because of their size.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
In what world is Tyler Motte worth a top 40 pick.....

I wouldn't trade a top 40 Itunes download for Tyler Motte. The dude is a 4th line player on a non playoff squad and has 14 pts on the year lol. Wayne Simmonds has the same. At this rate the Canucks are not making a single deadline deal. Their internal valuation of their guys is delusional. I like Motte as a player I really do. I think he'd be a great fit for a lot of playoff teams. But if Alvin was presented a top 40 pick for Motte and refused it, he is a complete moron.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Motte is 7th in ice time on the Canucks, he's not a 4th liner, he's a third liner.

If the ask is a Top 40 pick, then i'm glad the new GM is doing his job.
Because anything lower, we might as well keep Motte and try to resign him before UFA.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In what world is Tyler Motte worth a top 40 pick.....

I wouldn't trade a top 40 Itunes download for Tyler Motte. The dude is a 4th line player on a non playoff squad and has 14 pts on the year lol. Wayne Simmonds has the same. At this rate the Canucks are not making a single deadline deal. Their internal valuation of their guys is delusional. I like Motte as a player I really do. I think he'd be a great fit for a lot of playoff teams. But if Alvin was presented a top 40 pick for Motte and refused it, he is a complete moron.
I think Motte is absolutely worth something around the 50th pick in the draft.

People need to understand his production in context. He was a pure fourth line crash and bang guy up until the bubble. Since then, he’s shown much more offense to his game - both with and without the puck.

The bubble, pandemic year, and this year (84 gp) - he has 17 goals and 11 assists while playing with players who do not produce a lick of offense. Again, this is basically a 1.5 year stretch of consistent third line production with no PP time in a hard 15 mpg playing with players whose offensive talent is that of a 4th liner or less.

28 points in the previous 84 given the context is extremely impressive.

Reasons he won’t return a first round pick unlike Barclay Goodrow -

1.. He is a UFA this summer while Goodrow had an extra year at $925k making him an insane bargain.
2. Injury history - Motte has frequently missed games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think Motte is absolutely worth something around the 50th pick in the draft.

People need to understand his production in context. He was a pure fourth line crash and bang guy up until the bubble. Since then, he’s shown much more offense to his game - both with and without the puck.

The bubble, pandemic year, and this year (84 gp) - he has 17 goals and 11 assists while playing with players who do not produce a lick of offense. Again, this is basically a 1.5 year stretch of consistent third line production with no PP time in a hard 15 mpg playing with players whose offensive talent is that of a 4th liner or less.

28 points in the previous 84 given the context is extremely impressive.

Reasons he won’t return a first round pick unlike Barclay Goodrow -

1.. He is a UFA this summer while Goodrow had an extra year at $925k making him an insane bargain.
2. Injury history - Motte has frequently missed games.
Motte missed games because of a neck problem. He had surgery and has been great and healthy since. I can't see the Canucks trading Motte unless the payment is one they can't refuse. A second might not be enough. Might take a young player/prospect who the Canucks prefer to the pick.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Local Vancouver sports radio is talking about Motte + Schenn going to TBay for a guy like Foote. Speculation, but the type of return the Canucks need to get for Motte (and an add like Schenn) to move him.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Motte is better than his stats suggest, but anything more than a late 2nd seems like way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00